+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Shopping Question

Re: Car Shopping Question

I'm pretty quirky when it comes to what I like in a car. Beyond the really cool extras (voice activated nav system, heated seats, etc) my most favorite accessory in my car is my flip down sunglasses holder thingy. It's so trivial but I haven't scratched a pair of glasses since having it.

I guess my point is, if cupholders is your thing, how about looking at other cars that have all the same features you want but with bigger cupholders? I was set on a VW but the seemingly trivial things in my Honda is what sold me.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I think you have to think about how much time you spend in your car each day and how important that big drink is to you. If you spend a lot of time in your car, like I do, then that could be a deal breaker for me. If I'm spending a lot of time in my car, I want to be comfortable in it and have everything in it within easy reach.

It's funny what we perceive to be deal-breakers. Cupholders are important to me too. My current car has one small one and one larger one and the larger one has a cut-out area for the handle of a cup. However if you have a large cup in it's holder then it pushes into the space of the smaller holder. When it's just me and I don't have a drink, the holders are used for my cell phone and sunglasses.

holly71, if cupholders are going to be the deciding factor, take a few different sized cups with you and try them out to see what fits. They make cups now with a narrow bottom but wider at the top. Maybe you can find one like that and just pour your fast food drink into it?

I wouldn't necessarily say it depends on how much time you spend in the car for your decision. All it takes is one road trip with inadequate cupholders and then you'd be cursing your decision if you don't find what you're looking for.

However, if there isn't a BMW to be found in your price range with cupholders that you like, then unfortunately something will have to give. I admit I'm a bells and whistle car person but reliability, safety, and gas mileage would rank above that. If it were me, I'd find a car that has all the features that make that monthly payment worth it. Sometimes what we think we are dead set on having is not so important if we find something else that meets all our important criteria.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 09-28-2008 at 07:40 AM.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

For those of you who've said "you'll adapt," there's no need for me to adapt. I've been driving a car with tiny cupholders for the past 12 years. I already know it can be a hassle & how to work with it. I just didn't want to. Mostly all I drink is water, which I like to put in my insulated cup(s). My dear husband is the one who likes big drinks from Quick Trip.

I decided to keep with the BMW, because, as my husband pointed out, "if you get something else, you'll be kicking yourself everytime you see one on the road." The man knows me And I'll just keep doing what I've been doing & deal with tiny cupholders.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3206807;
    They make cups now with a narrow bottom but wider at the top. Maybe you can find one like that and just pour your fast food drink into it?
    I was going to make this suggestion. I have a cup like that.
    Count your blessings!

How about an adapter for your cup holder that will allow you to put a bigger cup in it?

Cup Holder: Portable All-Purpose Drop In Large Drink Cup Holders for Automobile-Exercise Equipment

My cupholder is totally retarded! It's open all the way around on all sides, so when I put my water bottle in it, it falls out the side & onto the floorboard.
    It's totally worthless. Now I just drive around with my water bottle beside me in the seat. It's so aggravating.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3207129;
    How about an adapter for your cup holder that will allow you to put a bigger cup in it?

Cup Holder: Portable All-Purpose Drop In Large Drink Cup Holders for Automobile-Exercise Equipment
    Unk.. I don't know how you find these things.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12