+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your most unusual hobby

Your most unusual hobby

I was just wondering what you would consider your most unusual hobby.

Mine would probably be re-rooting doll hair. I just started doing it, but I find it a lot of fun. It is so neat to see a doll with ratty hair, become nice again.

What about you?

MRD

Re: Your most unusual hobby

Well it may not qualify as a hobby, but I am a box and bag collector. I am so bad about saving "good boxes", bubble wrap and those nice big shopping bags. My family thinks I'm nuts, but when you need a box or a bag, I'm the go to girl for it!

My husband collects wood so he can't say a lot.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I (try to) memorize "useful" formulas and approximations. If you need to know the period of a simple pendulum, or the effect of 10 arc-seconds at a given distance, I'm your man.

Less unusual but more annoying, is that I make sporadic attempts to learn operatic arias. I've learned about a half-dozen, and it is a painfully slow process. Thank goodness Gustav is getting hard of hearing in his old age.

My least-unusual hobby is learning the piano. The only thing odd about that is the advanced age at which I started. My teacher would probably argue that the only odd thing is some of the excuses that I've come up with (The dog ate my piano. I have a thumby ache. That's the way Bach originally wrote it but the sheet music has a typo. I'm the first one in my family to have opposable thumbs.)
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Learning words. I have been known to read the dictionary, at times, just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TV_Junkie;3072019;
    I was just wondering what you would consider your most unusual hobby.

Mine would probably be re-rooting doll hair. I just started doing it, but I find it a lot of fun. It is so neat to see a doll with ratty hair, become nice again.
    Very interesting. Never even thought about anything like that being done!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Hmm, I have a few, for sure. I collect lockets, turtle-related stuff and other such things. Taught myself to read tarot cards for the fun of it. My main online hobby is creating cartoon dollmakers (dress-up games like old fashioned paper dolls, but online). Some of my hobbies aren't so unusual except for the fact that I'm a gal who really likes them, such as video games and fishing. I have a lot of "tomboy" hobbies, and am into some pretty geeky stuff, too.

I think I may be related to some of y'all!

Newf - my Dad is a math wiz too. He walked into our living room ten minutes after we closed on our house and, with one glance, told me how many square feet of hardwood flooring I needed to order. He and my college roomate (who was a math major and now teaches high school math) have long conversations about angles and calculus at all of my gatherings. I get Sudoku (I can't spell that OR work the puzzles) books for both of them every year for Christmas.

MRD - I save boxes, bags and bubble wrap as well. Mr. Doxie makes fun of me for that. I do notice that he shuts up when I manage to haul out a box and bubble wrap and get his parents' Christmas or birthday gifts wrapped and ready to ship.

Proshay - I love words too. I have not read the dictionary, but I DO have a dictionary and I make a point of looking up words that I have not heard before in that rather than online.

I do have a few other hobbies. I collect coins and I do some needlework (I cross-stitch and my Mom has been trying to teach me to knit for 15 years). I also collect Penguin related things and I'm becoming more interested in cooking and collecting recipes. I would LOVE to be able to play an instrument or sing, but I am not musical.
    Last edited by doxie; 06-23-2008 at 04:51 AM.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Very cool. Thanks for replying!

prhoshay - I wasn't sure what would be more unusual of some of my hobbies, but I figured that one would probably top them. Lol

But I have some other odd ones.. like I really love to write long stories, I yo-yo (I even know a few tricks), and I love taking pictures, though that is not too strange.

Anyway, keep the replies coming, it is quite fun to read about them all!

MRD

And I thought I was the only one that would read a dictionary for fun! I love words, word origins and phrase origins. I am currently working on origins of Southern language. It's pretty interesting.

And Doxie, thank you for also being a box collector because I don't feel so weird anymore. My family and friends make copious fun of me for it. But those same friends wouldcome over at Christmas and ask me if they could "shop" my box collection as they needed a box.

MRD

I guess another unusual hobby of mine is research. I love the internet (and the library) as I can research any topic that tickles my fancy. I love to do research and to find obscure historical facts and stories.

I love to save boxes also. It is a goal to have enough to be able to ship at christmas time. And they have to be nice ones.

I also have this obscure joy of watching reality tv. Does anyone else share that joy?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast