+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your most unusual hobby

Re: Your most unusual hobby

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3074199;
    I love rocks. I pick them up at the beach, at the park, pretty much anywhere and if they are pretty, I'll bring them home for the garden.
    I do that too. On our honeymoon (21 years ago ), we rented a motorhome and drove from Toronto to San Diego, up the coast and back home through the more northern states. At the border crossing, the customs officer came into the motorhome, just shook his head and got out. He did not want to catalogue the enormous quantity of rocks and beer bottles we were carting with us . The beer bottles were Mr. Rattus' collection. His intention was to remove the labels and frame them for his basement studio (they were all craft beers, which were nowhere near as prevalent then as they are now). Needless to say, after a couple of years the bottles went into recycling.

The first rock we picked up, however, I just rediscovered this weekend while trying to reorganize the ground covers in my front yard. It is a big black chunk of what Mr. Rattus thinks is lava (I have no idea) that we picked up at our campsite in New Mexico. It came with us from our first house, and will be coming with us again if we ever move.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

That reminds me of a funny story. When a friend of mine was about 16, she went with her grandparents and her great-grandmother (who was about 85) on a trip to the Grand Canyon in an RV. They visited the Petrified Forest and the great-grandmother picked up some rocks and got scolded by a park ranger who told her it was illegal to take rocks from there and made her put them back. This really embarrassed my friend. Later, back in the RV, she and her grandmother were joking about how the great-grandmother needed to stay out of trouble. This 85 year old great-grandmother giggled and said something like "I wanted that rock and I got it!" and then she stuck her hand into her BRA and pulled out a fistful of rocks from the Petrified Forest..... We've laughed about that for years and my friend still has those rocks.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I'm another map lover, and like "good' bags as well. I don't mean handbags either, I save the extra thick store bags, cool looking shopping bags (rare because I seldom shop) and the plastic drawstring "belongings' bags from the doctor's office when you have to take off your clothes.
    I'm also a rockhound--I even found some gemstones that were worth having faceted when I went to CA in March, and they were not 'planted' for tourists either. I should get them back any day now. But the rocks can just be any cool kinds that we don't have here, not necessarily valuable. I would eventually like to learn to polish them, if I get time.
    I'm also a serious fishing fan, which is only weird because I'm a middle aged female and I don't just go when my man goes, in fact I've done it basically forever, and learned all about it on my own and not from a man. My Dad took us fishing a few times when we were little, but it was very basic--worm, hook, bamboo pole. Still, I got hooked and have stayed that way.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123