+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Father's Day

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Re: Father's Day

Instead of getting him a gift, my dad wants me to help him clean out the garage. So really, my gift this year will be manual labor.

We also take him out to dinner.
    Wake up and be awesome

I think that's what I'm going to have to do for the balls, but I'm not sure if he even knows which bag he wants.. might have to do some research there.

We're also having a little party in the evening, part-Father's Day, part-Welcome Home for my sister, who comes back from her year abroad on Saturday. It's not going to be a cookout-- my mom is taking care of all the cooking and food prep, so my dad can take it easy.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3050416;
    I think that's what I'm going to have to do for the balls, but I'm not sure if he even knows which bag he wants.. might have to do some research there.

We're also having a little party in the evening, part-Father's Day, part-Welcome Home for my sister, who comes back from her year abroad on Saturday. It's not going to be a cookout-- my mom is taking care of all the cooking and food prep, so my dad can take it easy.
    Ummm, I know it isn't Mothers' Day, but that sounds somewhat exhausting for mom...which won't be good for dad! Maybe part of the present should be a relaxed wife because the young 'uns take over? Of course maybe your mom is the kind who is only happy doing it herself, her way--sorry, didn't mean to sound critical! Good luck with the ball choosing!
    Last edited by PWS; 06-11-2008 at 01:21 PM.

I bought my husband a pressure washer (which I secretly want to use) and will cook a cedar plank salmon. Hopefully, the humidity breaks by the weekend!

MRD

Buy Titlist golf balls. They are good ones, he should like those.

I had a friend that received a pressure washer for a Mother's Day gift one year because that's what her husband wanted. She was NOT happy.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;3049461;
    My dad died when I was 2 so I buy my mom something - she loves the sentiment.

We got some CD's & a new PSP game for my hubby from my girls.
    Aw, that's so sweet. This will be my first Father's Day without my dad...so...we will go visit my dad's grave and take my mom out for lunch and do some chores for her around her house. I'm hoping having us all there will help ease the day for her as well.

I got my FIL some golf shirts and some gourmet teas that he likes, but would never spend that kind of money on himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3050356;
    He failed to tell us what specific type of golf balls he wants (I play a little, but certainly not enough to know ball x from ball y), and also, which golf bag he wants.
    I can't solve the golf bag problem but as far as golf balls go have your mother look in his current golf bag and see what kind he has in there now. Or, you could just get him a gift certificate for the golf store and take him there on Father's Day to do his shopping.

I'm doing my traditional Father's Day present which is letting my dad pick a Mariner's baseball game to attend with me. It's about the only time we get to spend alone together so it's a blast for me.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3050716;
    Ummm, I know it isn't Mothers' Day, but that sounds somewhat exhausting for mom...which won't be good for dad! Maybe part of the present should be a relaxed wife because the young 'uns take over? Of course maybe your mom is the kind who is only happy doing it herself, her way--sorry, didn't mean to sound critical! Good luck with the ball choosing!
    Fortunately, my mom loves planning and hosting parties, and she also loves to cook, and she tends to go all out when either of us comes home after being away for awhile, so while it caught me by surprise when she told me, it makes sense as well. I think the menu is pretty easy and she can cook ahead-- I tend to be the elaborate one-- and I'll give her a hand when I go home this weekend.

Thanks for the ideas, I might do the g.c. for balls. I think I might try to find a knowledgeable-looking associate at the golf store to help with the bag, since the coupon expires on Sunday, but he can certainly pick out the balls himself.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 06-11-2008 at 03:21 PM.

I'm trying to figure out what to get my dad. I was thinking about getting my siblings (and my mom said she would too if that's what we wanted to get him) to chip in some money and get my dad a Wii for Father's Day. There's a Target about 20 minutes away from me that always seems to have Wiis in stock. But part of my thinks my dad may be a tad bit lazy to play a Wii. Plus, most of the games are more my type than his.

But I do know I am going to take him out to Famous Dave's BBQ for dinner that day. We'll probably go early, around 5 o'clock. I already bought him a card, and it's slightly disturbing on the front, but perfect on the inside,
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Dad just turned 83 over Memorial Day Weekend and needs absolutely nothing. So gift-giving is always a tough one. What we (my sibs and I) have been doing the last couple of years is all going in on something that he could use but won't go out and buy for himself.

Last year when they sold their house and moved up to the lake full-time, he came across an old bike one of my brothers used decades ago. It was pretty crappy to say the least. He asked my husband if he thought we could take it into a bike shop and have it fixed up, get a new seat, make sure the brakes work, etc. Hubby told me about it and I emailed all the sibs and asked if they wanted to go in on a new bike for Dad. Everyone jumped on board and we got him a really nice bike. Hubby took Dad to the bike shop under the premise of picking up the fixed bike. Instead the shop owner brought out two different ones for him to try out and he picked the one that fit him best. He was thrilled. Mom told us to pick up a helmet for him, and that would be her gift.

So this year we are all chipping in and buying him a new gas grill. None of us can remember how old the one he has now is, but it really is falling apart. We will bring it up to the lake on Sunday. My brother and his wife will also be up there. They are bringing up the steaks and I will bring up a salad, corn on the cob, and a potato dish (I am going to make that Crash Hot Potato recipe from the recipes board!). Mom is making strawberry shortcake, Dad's fave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast