+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Disease - HGE?

Sleeping with George W

Dog Disease - HGE?

WARNING -- some of this is gross, so don't read if you don't want to get grossed out!

-----------------------

Wanted to ask if any of you have ever had a dog that came down with hemorrhagic gastroentertitis (HGE)?

We had to rush our small mutt to the emergency room last night because she suddenly became violently ill, with bloody vomit and bloody diarrhea.

She went into shock and had to be given fluids with an IV, and plasma. She's better this morning, but still throwing up and will probably be in the hospital until at least Monday or Tuesday.

I've been reading up on HGE and it seems fairly mysterious. They don't know if it's caused by e-coli or another bacteria, or if it's related to "inflammatory bowel disease," which could make it an ongoing problem.

It was very scary and now I'm concerned about it happening again in the future. The doctors just keep saying basically that it's a mystery. Also, there is nothing much worse than being in a pet emergency room with everyone's dogs near death or even being put down. (a similar human situation would be worse, of course, but this was really gut wrenching!)

Anyone else ever have a dog that went through this? I'd be grateful to hear whatever you may know.

Eden, that sounds awful - I'm glad your dog is doing better, though.

Never heard of HGE.

I don't like it one bit when the vets tell you that it's a "mystery" or that it could be this, this, or that. What kind of diagnostics is that? How can you prevent something if you don't know what caused it?

I've never heard of HGE,either, but I'm so glad that your dog is doing a lot better now.

never heard of it either, though last year my yorkie was sick, throwing up for two days. We rushed her to the emergency vet at 1 am and she spent the weekend on fluidsthere and then to her regular vet on monday where she spent the night on fluids there. Both dogs have had corona virus which is bloody diahrea too in the past. Thats not so fun either, back to the vet with them.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Eden, I'm so sorry to hear about the pup.

Glad to know she's on the mend, and I hope she continues on that path.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Sleeping with George W
    Thanks, guys.

My son and I visited her today and she's doing a little better. She just looks sad and wiped out. They are going to try to feed her a little bit of food tonight to see if it will stay down. She's such a sweet little dog. Our big lab misses her ... he's sniffing all around the house trying to find her.

I found some stuff online about HGE and I'll keep researching.

Thanks again for responding and for the moral support. It helps!

Eden, My dog Murphy had something like that when he was a puppy. I think he was around 6 months old. He lived to be almost 11. Big ball of healing, white light comming your way...and maybe a Murphy guardian angel too.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

FORT Newbie
    So sorry to hear about your dog and wanted to let you know that also happened to my dog Windy about a year ago and it scared me to. She also had to spend a couple of days in the hospital with fluides given to her and she had the same symptoms you described with the bloody vomit and diarrhea. The vet told me it must have been something she ate. She did get into the trash alot and i had to start putting the trash can under the sink so she could not knock it over. I am glad to report that she has not had another case of this mysterious sickness.

Wish you dog well!!!!

FORT Fogey

To Eden:

So sorry to hear about your dog and happy that she is recovering.

I think the worst thing for a family pet is loneliness, so it's great that you and your son went to see her. The best thing is that she knows her family loves her.

Keep us posted.

That's horrible!! I hope your dog gets better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast