+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog Disease - HGE?

Our dog Sandy has that when she was almost a year old. She kept throwing up and we kept taking her to the Vet until one night she threw up blood all over the kitchen, it looked like a murder had happened, there was blood covering half the floor and up on to some of the cabinets. We rushed her to the pet ER, she was there over night and then transfered to our Vet's clinic where she was for about 4 days.

She is now almost 12 years old and hasn't had a return of any problems like that. Good Luck to your dog, I hope she is feeling better soon.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Sleeping with George W
    Thanks, Nancy, FG and everyone.

I posted because I wanted to know more about this problem and all of you have helped reassure me that a dog can get through this. Not to mention how comforting it's been to have your wonderful thoughts and support. I love you guys!

Good news is my little girl is coming home today! I can't wait to get her back here.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Glad to hear she's getting better

I've been lucky so far. Our dog has gone through more than a decade without any major illnesses.

Eden, I am so glad to hear that she is better and on her way home. Give her lots of hugs from us.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

for eden! i'm so sorry about your pup, but am very glad she's getting better!!

Sleeping with George W
    Thanks Leo, Feif and Sher, everyone (and great av, Feif!!).

Gabby is doing great. She was running circles around me last night, begging for treats ... so her tummy must be feeling better. She loves the special canned dog food she gets to eat (but MAN it stinks bad!), so doggy life is good.

Thanks again, everyone, for being there. Your thoughts mean the world to me.

fantastic news!
    Hope all stays well
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

ewww, I remember the special canned food...that stuff smelled so bad

glad to hear she is feeling better.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Newbie
    Hey,
    Im new here but found this while searching for info on HGE. My Yorkie was diagnosed with this Sunday. She had no vomiting, but high fever and wouldnt go to the bathroom. Then a small bout with diarrhea. We too had to take her to the emergency vet and then trasfer to the reg vet yesterday. She is home today, but still really tired, no oomph and not really interested in eating. I cant imagine what she got into, she is and inside dog and only has been out on the leash, since we recently sold our home.
    Wondering how long it took the other dogs to bounce back?
    Thanks!
    Lisa

FORT Fogey
    The medical community gives such scary sounding techical names to things and it can totally freak you out. It basically means that they arent sure, so they tell you a fancy name that describes the symptoms.

"hemorrhagic gastroentertitis" basically translates to bloody or "hemorhaging" for the prefix and gastroentertitis is the technical word for for stomach flu or food poisoning. So your vet basically said your dog had bloody stomach flu - which you already knew.

Replenish fluids and electrolites via oral or IV, bed rest and bland diet is usually the cure. Anitbiotics in some cases. Sounds like exactly how they handled it when you and several other posters had this problem with their dogs.

Sooooo glad to hear that the baby is doing better. No matter what they get its scary and I always hate to leave the dog at the vet. They seem so lonely and probably fear abandonment. So its always great to bring them back home.

I returned from a trip to Africa with a terrible fever and stomach ills...of course I feared that I had contracted Hepatitis A, malaria, or worse. The doctor runs a few tests and tells me I have "bacterial gastroentertitis" and I freak out - until he says "Relax. That is just a fancy way of saying that you have a bad case of travelers revenge". Drink plenty of fluids, eat blandly for a week or so and youll be fine.

Sometimes the terminology is the scariest thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12