+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

The Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

I figured that this would be a fun topic to discuss. Who else has a Wii? What games do you have? The system seems to have a much broader age appeal than others--i.e., my parents play it just as much as I do.

This is greatly inspired by the fact that Wii Fit just came out, and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it. I like the Yoga and strength training exercises, but the "balance games" aren't very responsive for me. Nonetheless, I like the idea behind the game, and I'd expect the first game of this type to still be slightly touchy.

Here's my complete game list:

Wii Sports
    Wii Play
    Wii Fit
    Smash Bros. Brawl
    Guitar Hero III
    Link's Crossbow Trainer
    Warioware: Smooth Moves

On the Virtual Console, I have:

Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
    Sim City
    Kirby's Adventure
    Streets of Rage II

Re: The Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

We opted for the xbox360 instead. The games seem to be more geared towards the older male audience, although I love Oblivion. That being said, we are saving money to get a Wii so I'll be watching this thread with envy..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I would love to have one myself, though at this point if I did have the cash for any new system I'd opt for the PS3 as I'm more of an RPG nut than anything, and think that will be the best system for them in the long run.

I do love Zelda: Twilight Princess, but have to play the GC version. I think it would be fun to play with the Wii's controls. (Right now the systems I play most are my PS2, GC, and DS)

CCL

We just got a Wii and we love it. I didn't grow up playing video games so it's a whole new experience. It's very easy to use (which is good). So far we have the Sports Package and Wii Play. We'll get more as we go along; more along the lines of sport-type games as opposed to the combat-type. We do want to get the Fit but it is sold out around here.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Right. I like the sport-type games because they're quite different, and, as I mentioned, there's a pretty wide appeal. My nieces and parents will both play tennis and whatnot with me.

The other thing I like about the Wii is that you can get older games on the Virtual Console (VC). Since my old NES is a bit spotty, I can now play Mario 3 and other classics without fear of unwanted pixellation mid-game. I can't wait until they come out with Earthbound for the VC, or, better yet, the sequel and prequel that were only released in Japan.

Pakacat, I've traditionally played RPGs the most, too, so I am waiting for a good one to come out for the Wii. As I said, I'm crossing my fingers for Earthbound. The Paper Mario game was good, but quite short. My roommate played though Twilight Princess and seemed to enjoy it.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 06-16-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pakacat;3043945;
    I would love to have one myself, though at this point if I did have the cash for any new system I'd opt for the PS3 as I'm more of an RPG nut than anything, and think that will be the best system for them in the long run.

I do love Zelda: Twilight Princess, but have to play the GC version. I think it would be fun to play with the Wii's controls. (Right now the systems I play most are my PS2, GC, and DS)

You sound a lot like me. Love the RPG games. Which is why I love Oblivion so much. I didn't realize the PS3 had a lot of RPG's. I'll check into it. We have 2 N-64, 2 Xbox360, PS2, 2 DS so we love our games around here. I also love the Zelda series..the all time best being Ocarina of Time.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

A friend of mine has this and I too am envious. The wii is pretty expensive isn't it? I know she just got the wiiFit and LOVES it!

We have a Wii and we all love it. We've only had it about a month or so, though. We've got Wii Sports, Wii Play, Guitar Hero III and Super Mario Galaxy. I don't like Wii Play. It came with the package we bought and we played it once or twice then shelved it.

I haven't tried out the Virtual Console yet, but now that I know you can get NES games on it, I'm going to check it out. We still have an NES (that I'll never get rid of, big nerd that I am) but I hate having to gingerly bend the contacts to get the games to work after a while. My kids still try the blowing trick and it reminds me of good times.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3044443;
    I didn't realize the PS3 had a lot of RPG's. I'll check into it.
    Well, there aren't too many YET... but long term, I think it may be the best system for them. It is bound to get many exclusives, like Final Fantasy XIII. Right now, the 360 has a better selection I think, but my guess is the PS3 will have success in the long term too (especially now as Blu-Ray has won the format war), and will be the system of choice for RPG developers, especially once they are able to fully harness it's capabilities.

Though I enjoy sandbox-style do-anything games like the GTA series and Bully, some racing games, some sim games like Animal Crossing, puzzle games and such, most of my collections are RPG's. I especially like the more "old school" stuff. Problem with the Wii is, I don't see too many traditional RPG's being developed for it.

I agree that Zelda: The Ocarina of Time is one of the best games ever; my favorite of the series too, with TP up there too.

Leo
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;3044457;
    A friend of mine has this and I too am envious. The wii is pretty expensive isn't it? I know she just got the wiiFit and LOVES it!
    I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than both the PS3 and Xbox 360, the other comparable gaming systems in its generation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast