+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

Re: The Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

I have a lot of the Just Dances, all 3 regular ones and one kid one. My 5 year old LOVES them all. Im amazed by the songs she picks on the the regular ones. it exposes her to all kinds of music, which I love. Ive seen they have a 2nd kid one, I dont know how many country ones, and even a broadway one!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

I didn't know there was a Wii thread! Thanks for the bump! I'm new to the concept, having never played video games before. I didn't know it was hard to get at one point. My reason for getting was was purely exercise, so I started with the Wii Fit Plus and have also just received several dance "games". I'm looking forward to the weekend to try them. Does it matter if you don't care about the score? I just want to follow the moves the best I can and enjoy the music. In the Wii Fit, there are a lot of yoga and strength exercises I can't do because I have really low ceilings and can't raise my arms over my head when I'm on the balance board. But I'm getting better at the balance games and appreciate the ability to step or "run" while watching tv.
    Count your blessings!

I just play for the moves myself because my daughter is only 5 and doesnt really care about the points anyway. the newer versions have a "sweat it out" mode that I havent tried yet. I did the wii fit yoga, started as a beginner and got better pretty quickly. also on the Plus did the 60 day? challenge where you pick which days of the week you want to work out, set your goal...it really pushed me. I also have Jillian from the Biggest Loser's work out for wii but thats a little too hardcore for me. Hubby loves it (tho he plays his fishing and hunting games more than anything)

I like the Wii Fit for the check in progress reports, but I don't think it's much of a workout. I do weights and swimming at the Y 3 days a week and wanted something for my off days. This gets me off the chair and moving in a fun way, but being a penguin isn't burning that many calories. I'll check in with my impressions of the dance programs after I have a chance to try them.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I like the Wii Fit for the check in progress reports, but I don't think it's much of a workout. I do weights and swimming at the Y 3 days a week and wanted something for my off days. This gets me off the chair and moving in a fun way, but being a penguin isn't burning that many calories. I'll check in with my impressions of the dance programs after I have a chance to try them.
    Try boxing...I think that could be both a therapy session and a calorie burner for most of us. I don't ever punch anyone, but I must have the desire deep inside and so does my daughter, because when we box on the Wii (Sports), we get to sweat. And we both notice that we feel strangely relieved afterward!
    AmyKay and inthegarden like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    Try boxing...I think that could be both a therapy session and a calorie burner for most of us. I don't ever punch anyone, but I must have the desire deep inside and so does my daughter, because when we box on the Wii (Sports), we get to sweat. And we both notice that we feel strangely relieved afterward!
    Ummmm....Maybe I should look into investing in a Wii!

For those of you that have liked the Wii Fit - are there other fitness games you recommend? I'm bored of the Wii Fit and want (o.k need!) something else. Thanks!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

The Wii Fit Plus has boxing and Kung Fu - both of which I love. Somebody tell me about Wii Sports - do you need special equipment or just the remote/nunchuck? I spent an hour yesterday Wii testing the 5 dance programs I got. I didn't realize that each one had DOZENS of songs - each with a different dance routine, or I wouldn't have gotten so many! I'm set until my 90s. Right now I find them impossibly difficult, but in a fall down laughing kind of way. You're trying to mirror a figure on-screen while little icons in the bottom corner tell you what's coming up next. Ummm - I can't watch both at once. The Black Eyed Peas one is the most difficult, the Just Dance (1&3) have a whole range of dance styles and difficulty, the Gold Gym Dance Exercise (Latin dances) had me tied up like a pretzle, and the Broadway Musicals were wicked fun... each character is in costume, so you're in garters and stockings for a Cabaret number and then you're in a lion costume for a Lion King number, then Mary Poppins for Supercalifragalistic. I think what I need to do is start with one or two and repeat them until I get the routines down and then start adding others. I haven't danced in ages, but I do enjoy it a lot. Some of them (Broadway) have the words at the top, too, so you can go all kareoke if you find yourself following a background dancer in My Favorite Things who mostly sways around with a few repetitive arm motions.
    Cootie likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I have Wii Sports, and instantly became addicted to tennis. It was good exercise until I learned I could play sitting down. Now it's more like couch ping-pong. Bad thing is, though, that you can only score so high. I'm at 2,300 and if I lose one point my score plummets. Glad to hear there are so many dance games! I'm going to try the musicals one!
    beerbelly likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

omg, now we have Just dance 1, 3,and 4...Kids Just dance 1, and a Disney just dance,and we are borrowing Just Dance 2 from my sister. My 6 year old LOVES them...and it gets me up and moving so its good for me. I want to get the Broadway one and the hip hop one. I also want to try out the Zumba and/or Zumba Core for wii.

+ Reply to Thread