+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seniors and Caregiving

Seniors and Caregiving

I thought we could use this thread to talk about careing for seniors. I know a lot of Forters have elderly parents and others work in long term care facilities. Here we can share ideas, resources, and support.

I have recently started working at an assisted living facility that is much smaller then the one I previously worked at. We don't have an activity department and any activities are done by the caregivers when they have time. I'm looking for craft ideas. I'd like something they can make and hang on their doors. I know there are a lot of foam projects that only require cutting the foam and glueing them together. If anyone has a template for somthing like that I would really appriciate it.

MRD

Re: Seniors and Caregiving

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;3020206;
    I thought we could use this thread to talk about careing for seniors. I know a lot of Forters have elderly parents and others work in long term care facilities. Here we can share ideas, resources, and support.

I have recently started working at an assisted living facility that is much smaller then the one I previously worked at. We don't have an activity department and any activities are done by the caregivers when they have time. I'm looking for craft ideas. I'd like something they can make and hang on their doors. I know there are a lot of foam projects that only require cutting the foam and glueing them together. If anyone has a template for somthing like that I would really appriciate it.
    Michael's, A C Moore and Hobby Lobby have a lot of the pre-cut foam shapes and kits. I know they have door hangers for the door knobs made of foam. Alphabets, flowers, other shapes, etc. We did a lot of foam projects with the girl scouts. And if you google girl scout projects, you can get a LOT of ideas that you can use with the seniors.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just one little note about hanging things from door knobs or levers in an assisted living, nursing home or healthcare facility: It may be against life safety or fire codes to have anything hanging from a doorknob or lever.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I don't know what kind of budget you have etc., and this isn't exactly a "crafty" idea but a lot of Nursing Homes have been investing in Wii's because the seniors can bowl, do tennis, etc., using the virtual reality and it gets them moving. It has been quite a big hit locally but I guess it depends on the general mobility of the patients.

We often visit a friend (my 3rd grade teacher ) at her assisted living facility and discovered that many of the residents there love jigsaw puzzles. They particularly seem to enjoy small puzzles (60 to 100 pieces). The Dollar Store here has small puzzles most of the time, so I always try to keep a few on hand to take to her when we visit.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I thought this thread was about who's going to take care of me in a few years.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3021292;
    I thought this thread was about who's going to take care of me in a few years.
    Maybe there should be a FORT nursing home for all of us addicted to tv and the computer.

However, I could probably guess who the troublemakers having wheelchair races would be.

Oriental Trading (on line) also has a lot of foam/craft kits - in small & large quantities.

One place we visited with my mom I thought had a good idea. They had small doorknob hanger decorations that the residents would put out at night before going to bed. Then if they weren't down the next day by breakfast the staff would know to check on them. it let them control their privacy a little more in the morning when they choose not to come down to breakfast.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3021345;
    Oriental Trading (on line) also has a lot of foam/craft kits - in small & large quantities.

One place we visited with my mom I thought had a good idea. They had small doorknob hanger decorations that the residents would put out at night before going to bed. Then if they weren't down the next day by breakfast the staff would know to check on them. it let them control their privacy a little more in the morning when they choose not to come down to breakfast.
    I forgot about OT. They have a lot of other craft items as well and are super inexpensive. They are a great resource for decorations as well. They are a great resource period. LOVE them.
    You can go online and request a print catalog to be mailed to you and sometimes they do free shipping on orders over a certain amount.

I know this isn't what you're asking, but when my dad had alzheimers I read an article about playing music that they loved back in the day. Ask your seniors what their favorite music was - bet it starts a fun discussion and if you jot down the names and find and play the music, I bet it would improve morale. My dad loved CDs from musicals he had played in the orchestra for like Oliver, Camelot, and My Fair Lady.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast