+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Changes?

Re: Oil Changes?

Quote Originally Posted by PammyCakes;2974740;
    So are you saying that it does need to be changed within 3 months?

I would go by the owners manual. The maker of the individual car should know best what mileage.

If you are really worried about it, it won't hurt to change it every 3,000 miles.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I change my oil myself and do it every 3000 miles because I normally drive 55 miles a day and have a compact car. The best thing to do is check the oil and if it's dirty, it needs to be changed.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Thanks, I'll have to look it up in the owner's manual. I still haven't read up on it to figure out how to do the cruise control. All my previous vehicles had them, but they were Toyotas. I would have thought I could figure it out on my own without reading material, but alas, no dice.

And I only drive about 15 miles per day...on a daily basis. There are exceptions of course, especially when I go visit someone...but I don't rack up a lot of miles.
    I am nobody. Nobody is perfect.
    Therefore, I am perfect.

I hate finding the cruise control in newer cars! Whenever I rent a vehicle it seems that the cruise has so many more buttons to push together to make it work!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I honestly didn't think it was that hard, seeing as how I had 3 Toyotas in a row and never had to look it up...apparently the German's do it way different. They burst my bubble!

I'm actually thinking of getting another car and getting rid of this one. It doesn't get as good gas mileage as I thought it would, plus it looks as if it's harder for garages to work on versus other cars. I had planned on keeping this one until the wheels fall off of it, but I'm thinking about getting another Toyota and then doing that. It sure would be nice not to have a car payment.
    I am nobody. Nobody is perfect.
    Therefore, I am perfect.

I love my Toyota and my Nissan. Love love love! lol

I think Toyota is manufactured very well and they seem easier to figure out than german cars. My VW was a nightmare!! We ended up selling it years ago because it took too much effort to work on.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by PammyCakes;2974740;
    So are you saying that it does need to be changed within 3 months?
    More like 6 months. I was wrong on that. . Here's some basic info.
    How often should I change my oil? ó Yahoo! Autos
    How often should I change my oil?
    Most vehicle manufacturers recommend changing the oil once a year or every 7,500 miles in passenger car and light truck gasoline engines. For diesel engines and turbocharged gasoline engines, the usual recommendation is every 3,000 miles or six months.

If you read the fine print, however, youíll discover that the once a year, 7,500 mile oil change is for vehicles that are driven under ideal circumstances. What most of us think of as "normal" driving is actually "severe service" driving. This includes frequent short trips (less than 10 miles, especially during cold weather), stop-and-go city traffic driving, driving in dusty conditions (gravel roads, etc.), and driving at sustained highway speeds during hot weather. For this type of driving, which is actually "severe service: driving, the recommendation is to change the oil every 3,000 miles or six months.

For maximum protection, most oil companies say to change the oil every 3,000 miles or three to six months regardless of what type of driving you do.

A new engine with little or no wear can probably get by on 7,500 mile oil changes. But as an engine accumulates miles, blowby increases. This dumps more unburned fuel into the crankcase which dilutes the oil. This causes the oil to break down. So if the oil isnít changed often enough, you can end up with accelerated wear and all the engine problems that come with it (loss of performance and fuel economy, and increased emissions and oil consumption).
    From the same article:

Regular oil changes for preventative maintenance are cheap insurance against engine wear, and will always save you money in the long run if you keep a car for more than three or four years. Itís very uncommon to see an engine that has been well maintained with regular oil changes develop major bearing, ring, cam or valve problems under 100,000 miles.

^^ Agree... Good point about the "Severe Conditions" definition... My Honda recommends 5000 miles for severe service and 7500 for ideal circumstances...

I'm also of the opinion that the performance and quality of both Engines and Oil have improved in the past 10 years or so, and the old "Every 3,000 Mile Rule" is becoming more and more old school.

With me, I find that 5000 miles IS about every three months, so I go with that...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

MRD

I didn't get my oil changed today, but my daughter's boyfriend washed, waxed and vaccumed out the inside of my car AND bought me a pine tree air freshener! I LOVE that kid!
    He told me it was my Mother's Day present from him.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My brother owns an oil change place. He's always said that the mileage is more important than the time between oil changes, but (as someone pointed out above) driving in harsh conditions, really hot weather or stop and go traffic can affect mileage and oil useage. It's also important to have things like transmission fluid and brake pads and tire alignment checked out a few times a year. Find a mechanic that you can trust and take your vehicle for a
    checkup". I check my car's oil, tire pressure and a few other things about once a month and take it in if I see a problem or any kind of leak.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast