+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The College Process

MRD

Re: The College Process

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2983760;
    I haven't heard anyone mention this but both of my college kids were required to have a laptop. So add that to the list of expenses. Those of you with kids in or entering high school - I reminded all 3 of my kids when they had personality clashes with teachers that the teacher wasn't paying their college tuition and they had to rise above it if they wanted to qualify for scholarships.
    I have always told my child if there was a personality clash with a teacher, that it was good training for life. You are not always going to like your co-workers, or your boss or sometimes the employees you are managing, but that you have to try to find a way to get along regardless of your personal feelings for them and this was a good way to learn that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

mrd, that is great advice. I do think though that there will be people (especially in college) that you will never be able to put aside personal feelings with and be able to "get along" or "tolerate" someone. I am definitely experiencing that situation. I'm at the point where I simply ingore the person. It's hard when there's only 10 people in the program, but it's much better than the alternative .

Yeah, a lot of my peers definitely feel entitled to have things go "their way." I think they definitely take for granted that they can switch out of classes they don't want to be in (because they don't like their teacher or their classmates). The best thing anyone could probably do in that kind of situation is try to adapt. It might grow on you

Tomorrow morning, I'm taking my first and only AP exam this year - chemistry. I feel pretty prepared, but I'm sure there are some gaps. I hope the real deal goes as well as my practice exams have (to my great surprise!). I haven't felt all too confident about myself in AP chem (my main source of academic anxiety), but I think, as of these last few months, I've been able to catch up. We'll see...
    Gustav Holst was right!

MRD

I think you have someting there about adapting. Darwin's theory of natural selection is "survival of the fittest", but it's not always the fittest that do survive, its the ones that can adapt to the changing world.

So I've always said that those that do well in life are the ones that are most adaptable. And you have to be to get ahead in life. There are always going to be teachers, bosses, classmates, co-workers, situations you don't like. But the key is to try to adapt and make it work somehow for YOU. Those that don't get that, struggle. Those that do, succeed.

Good luck on the AP exam.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haejin;2988914;
    Yeah, a lot of my peers definitely feel entitled to have things go "their way." I think they definitely take for granted that they can switch out of classes they don't want to be in (because they don't like their teacher or their classmates). The best thing anyone could probably do in that kind of situation is try to adapt. It might grow on you

Tomorrow morning, I'm taking my first and only AP exam this year - chemistry. I feel pretty prepared, but I'm sure there are some gaps. I hope the real deal goes as well as my practice exams have (to my great surprise!). I haven't felt all too confident about myself in AP chem (my main source of academic anxiety), but I think, as of these last few months, I've been able to catch up. We'll see...
    I took the AP English and AP US History tests my senior year and didn't earn a high enough score for Penn State to accept them for credits. Boo.
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;2989323;
    I took the AP English and AP US History tests my senior year and didn't earn a high enough score for Penn State to accept them for credits. Boo.
    I only did the AP US History and didn't score high enough either. I still loved that class.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456