I wanna know my chances of getting into University of Florida
    I have a 5.5 gpa
    My SAT is low though 1120
    I have a 100 volunteer hours
    Im in HOSA club, Key club, NHS
    I've played violin for 7 years, I've been in several City Orchestras
    I've also played freelance for several years
    Senior Year I'm taking AP Calc, AP Art History, AP Physics, AP Psychology
    Dual Enrollment College, I'm taking English, Anatomy, Psychology, College Alebra
    Im in a health magnet school
    I really want to get into college so bad, any suggestions?

I got in with a 3.85 GPA and a slightly higher SAT score than you did at Florida, no AP classes, but they didn't have them back then and no volunteer work, but that was also 28 years ago. What they told me was that if I would start the summer semester instead of the fall one, I could be assured of getting in. So you may want to look at starting either in Summer or Jan.

Are you living in Florida? If so, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into any of the state schools with all the things you listed. Out of state will be slightly harder.

Good luck, I need another Gator on the FORT as the Ohio State people have me outnumbered!

GO GATORS!!!!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: The College Process

From the University of Florida website*

Entrance Requirements:
    • Pulse
    • $$$$
    • GPA of 0.03 or higher
    • More $$$$
    • Ability to spell 'kat' 'cat' without assistance
    *disclaimer--I did not actually visit the University of Florida website. Actual entrance requirements may vary from those posted. No disrespect is meant to eric crespo or his choice of higer education. Full disrespect intended for MRD and her choice of alma mater

Back in the ancient days, Ohio State was open-admission. The only trick was to get the application in early enough. As it turns out, I didn't, but an Assistant Dean of the College of Engineering was able to get me in.

Another memory of buying texts--I refused to take a class in World History because of the cost of the text. I couldn't see paying $30 for an eight-page pamphlet, even if it was (at that time) the complete history of the world. Yeah, it was a loooong time ago . . .
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2974362;
    From the University of Florida website*

*disclaimer--I did not actually visit the University of Florida website. Actual entrance requirements may vary from those posted. No disrespect is meant to eric crespo or his choice of higer education. Full disrespect intended for MRD and her choice of alma mater

Back in the ancient days, Ohio State was open-admission. The only trick was to get the application in early enough. As it turns out, I didn't, but an Assistant Dean of the College of Engineering was able to get me in.

Another memory of buying texts--I refused to take a class in World History because of the cost of the text. I couldn't see paying $30 for an eight-page pamphlet, even if it was (at that time) the complete history of the world. Yeah, it was a loooong time ago . . .

Ah, you forgot the most important requirement for entrance to the University of Florida: The ability to cheer loudly at national championships when Florida whips Ohio State's booty!!!

I'll echo the comments about the cost of textbooks. I was a math major, so I really had no way out and those things were expensive. The worst was my analysis book, which was slightly bigger than your average mass market paperback length and width wise and maybe all of a centimeter thick... for $175. For my humanities classes, by senior year I knew myself well enough to know that it wasn't worth it for me to buy the books (I was horrible about doing reading for class)-- when I needed them, I could just take them out of the library, where they were on reserve. Senior spring I bought no books. My parents weren't exactly thrilled to hear that, but ironically that was my second best semester, grades wise.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2974416;
    Ah, you forgot the most important requirement for entrance to the University of Florida: The ability to cheer loudly at national championships when Florida whips Ohio State's booty!!!
    I've often said that the biggest loudmouths attend U of F
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2975061;
    I've often said that the biggest loudmouths attend U of F
    I have never claimed to be soft spoken! I know I'm a loudmouth and am proud of it. Just like I'm proud to be a Gator!

Thanks to whoever that was that posted about Fastweb. My daughter has spent the morning applying for scholarships. There were quite a few she was eligible for and we never would have heard about them otherwise. Thanks so much!

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2975137;
    I have never claimed to be soft spoken! I know I'm a loudmouth and am proud of it. Just like I'm proud to be a Gator!

Thanks to whoever that was that posted about Fastweb. My daughter has spent the morning applying for scholarships. There were quite a few she was eligible for and we never would have heard about them otherwise. Thanks so much!
    That was me. You're welcome. I applied for a ton on there when I was going to college. I never realized there were so many. There was even a scholarship for left-handed people that I applied for.

Newf- I agree with you about the college entrance requirements for Florida. Now to get into Ohio State, I heard you have to be able to make excuses for choking in big games...
    Wake up and be awesome

Penn State requires all in-coming freshmen to take an introductory course in geriatrics before they are allowed to purchase football tickets
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;2981117;
    That was me. You're welcome. I applied for a ton on there when I was going to college. I never realized there were so many. There was even a scholarship for left-handed people that I applied for.

Newf- I agree with you about the college entrance requirements for Florida. Now to get into Ohio State, I heard you have to be able to make excuses for choking in big games...

Ashley, there were some pretty bizarre scholarships on there. If your last name was a certain name you could qualify, there were even ones for transgendered people, there was science fiction one. But hey, if there are people willing to give these scholarships, then there should be people applying for them.
    Thanks again.

I haven't heard anyone mention this but both of my college kids were required to have a laptop. So add that to the list of expenses. Those of you with kids in or entering high school - I reminded all 3 of my kids when they had personality clashes with teachers that the teacher wasn't paying their college tuition and they had to rise above it if they wanted to qualify for scholarships.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast