+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The College Process

Re: The College Process

I really have no right replying to this thread since I won't be able to add to any of the information or insight provided by the above posters....but I just wanted to give you all the Canadian perspective on applying to college/university.

First, lower population=less schools=fewer choices to make so I really only had to choose between 2 universities. I basically picked the one closest to my hometown, filled out an application (which took less than 30 minutes if I recall correctly...no essays or letters required) and sent it off in the spring of my senior year. Less than a month later I was accepted in to the college of my choice. Four years later I decided to do a masters...closed my eyes and pointed at a map of Canada and emailed the administration of the university closest to where my finger landed (OK, it wasn't quite THAT random, but I put in very little research and was at a point in my life where I just needed a change and I didn't really care where it came from). I was put in contact with an incredible advisor in my area of interest who offered me a graduate student position. I was extremely lucky to fall into such a great program.

Now that I'm wrapping up my PhD and hoping to get a faculty position, I'm starting to look at options in the US and am amazed at the huge number of great schools with incredible programs in my area of interest. So I may be going through "The College Process" myself (from a different angle) in the next year or so.
    Don't let the small things sweat

My son knows what he wants to major in - Environmental Science. The college he wants to go to has an excellent EnviSci program. He doesn't know exactly what he wants to do with it. He just knows that he doesn't want to be stuck inside an office. He wants to be out and about. This makes perfect sense, because that's the way he's been from a toddler. He has ALWAYS wanted to be outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose;2971825;
    I really have no right replying to this thread since I won't be able to add to any of the information or insight provided by the above posters....but I just wanted to give you all the Canadian perspective on applying to college/university.

First, lower population=less schools=fewer choices to make so I really only had to choose between 2 universities. I basically picked the one closest to my hometown, filled out an application (which took less than 30 minutes if I recall correctly...no essays or letters required) and sent it off in the spring of my senior year. Less than a month later I was accepted in to the college of my choice. Four years later I decided to do a masters...closed my eyes and pointed at a map of Canada and emailed the administration of the university closest to where my finger landed (OK, it wasn't quite THAT random, but I put in very little research and was at a point in my life where I just needed a change and I didn't really care where it came from). I was put in contact with an incredible advisor in my area of interest who offered me a graduate student position. I was extremely lucky to fall into such a great program.

Now that I'm wrapping up my PhD and hoping to get a faculty position, I'm starting to look at options in the US and am amazed at the huge number of great schools with incredible programs in my area of interest. So I may be going through "The College Process" myself (from a different angle) in the next year or so.
    You really lucked out doing your Masters!! I definitely wasn't as lucky as you when I went through the process. I spent a considerable amount of time applying and all the requirements were a lot more than I thought they would be!!

But you are very much right about the Undergraduate application process. I applied to one place. The University in my hometown and was immediately accepted. I had other Universities approach me to go to their schools, but I wasn't interested in that.

MRD

Well here's one for you. I was fairly open mouthed in shock when I heard this last night. I belong to a civic organization. It isn't large, but they were offering 3 scholarships to children of members that were graduating from HS this year. The amount was about $200 for each of the 3 kids. However, the organization did require them to fill out an application for the scholarship (it was more a formality than anything) and one of the kids told the president that "it's not worth my time for such a small amount of money".

I couldn't believe it. Coming from both me and my daughter getting ready to start school any minute, I would NOT turn down $200. If nothing else, it would buy a book or two.

And it was just rude and I was shocked. If my child had said it that way, I would have been furious.
    The kid could and should have said: "thank you very much for considering me, I'm very flattered, but at this time, I am not able to accept it" or something to that affect.

Money's money and it was being GIVEN with no strings pretty much, but apparantly $200 isn't considered worth the time to fill out the application.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That's pretty rude. I would have been mortified if my son ever did anything like that.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2971958;
    That's pretty rude. I would have been mortified if my son ever did anything like that.
    Well you should have heard the comments at the meeting an pretty much they all said the same thing: if that were MY child.......

I would have DIED of embarrassment as most of the people in this group are very "proper" and you could tell the president was NOT at all happy about it, which is why she reported it at the meeting at large from the podium. I kind of think it was a warning to the rest of us: "if your kids ever apply in the future, make sure they aren't rude little heathens". That's not what she said, but you could certainly read between the lines.

So they took the money and gave it to the other 2 applicants who each got $300 instead of $200.

You know, if you want scholarships to pay for school, you may have to apply for 20 little ones as opposed to getting ONE big one. They do add up, if you're willing to work for it (filling out apps, writing an essay) to get the money and not have to take out loans.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2971838;
    My son knows what he wants to major in - Environmental Science. The college he wants to go to has an excellent EnviSci program. He doesn't know exactly what he wants to do with it. He just knows that he doesn't want to be stuck inside an office. He wants to be out and about. This makes perfect sense, because that's the way he's been from a toddler. He has ALWAYS wanted to be outside.
    ES is popular these days-- if he has his heart set on that, there are a bunch of good programs. He might want to explore some of them so that come application time, he'll have several different options in case one school doesn't work out.

I was lucky but I know plenty of people who didn't get into their top choices, and a couple people who ended up at their safety schools. Initially, the rejection can be tough to take, but ultimately those people all ended up having great experiences at their respective schools. Things have a way of working out for the best, although sometimes it's hard to remember that in the throes of the process itself.

I will apply for anything and everything that I can because I need the money for sure, but at the same time, when I have several different scholarships or bursaries I can apply for, I tend to prioritize which ones I *MUST* apply for and which if I get to then okay.

If I fit the criteria or the requirements for it, I apply. However, if it requires 3 references, transcripts, letters of recommendation, CV, etc, etc, then I tend to do the work for the larger amounts first. But I would not skip one simply because it was $200 dollars. That's a textbook or two!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2971838;
    SM, for my undergrad degree I have a BS in Forestry with a specialization in environmental studies. I worked in Environmental Education for about 7 years. You can't beat being outside teaching kids about nature. It was a great career and there are lots of opportunities. I'm now in law school and changing my field up drastically but I still may do environmental law. Good luck to your son. What school is he looking at?

When I was a junior in HS I knew exactly where I wanted to go, Michigan State University. The guidance counselor at my HS had me apply for early admission and I was accepted into two different programs at MSU by the end of my junior year. This was about 13 years ago so obviously it was a bit different. My main piece of advice to everyone, pick a school that you feel comfortable at. There are many reasons to pick schools but you have to make sure YOU like the school and it offers programs that YOU are interested in. Good luck to you all. This is such a super exciting time for you as you are getting ready to take a huge step in your life.

He wants to go to Stockton College - it's near Atlantic City, NJ. You've hit on a great idea for him, Yardgnome. At one time he was talking about being a teacher, and he's very good with young kids. Maybe he can be an environmentalist - our county has a few environmentalists, and they put on some great programs for kids. Anyway, he figures if he doesn't get into Stockton, he'll go to the community college for two years and then transfer. He's really not looking at any place other than Stockton. I know - that's a huge mistake you'll all tell me. But he figures community college won't be bad, and then he can spend his last two years at Stockton.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast