+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mother's day gift ideas

Re: Mother's day gift ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2940549;
    It's hard to go wrong with a bottle of cheap whiskey and a box of shotgun shells
    I didn't realize you were a southern boy.
    Okay, I can get by with this because I am a southern boy.

A ped-egg of course! That is what I want..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2941681;
    He lives in Kansas, that's almost Southern, not in geography, but in some of the attitude. They still like that cheap whiskey and ammunition there too.

Buglover, I like your balloon idea. I have been at a loss for several years as to what to do as both my mom and grandmother are gone, but I like that idea.

I tend to get gypped as my birthday and Mother's day are ALWAYS in teh same week. But I have already started my "wish list". I need perfume and I saw a really cute necklace I wanted that was very inexpensive. It's glass beads. Very cute. Both can be had for under $75. That's how I'm putting it to my family anyway.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2941681;
    Hrmph, southern boy indeed! I am first, last, and always an Ohio State Buckeye. I just happen to know what mothers want, and I'm sharing my wisdom. It's the Buckeye way.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2942028;
    Hrmph, southern boy indeed! I am first, last, and always an Ohio State Buckeye. I just happen to know what mothers want, and I'm sharing my wisdom. It's the Buckeye way.
    That really explains a LOT right there.

UGH! A couple years ago, we saw the Monet in Normandy exhibit at the North Carolina Museum of Art, and last fall, we went to France and drove around to some of the towns where Monet painted. My mom loved both the exhibit and the driving tour, and I was going to make her an album of our pictures from the tour, with postcards of Monet's paintings. But, I'm having trouble coming up with postcards of some of the paintings, so I think I'm going to have to hold off until Christmas. My sister's going to check the Musee d'Orsay for me before she comes home.

The other complicating factor is that we're also celebrating Mother's Day a week early, since I'll be away on the real day. I've got about a week to come up with something...

MRD

Have you tried doing a search on the internet for the postcards? You may be able to find them at the Metropolitan. Try The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York: metmuseum.org

Or on ebay?

Or just a google search. If you have the names of the paintings, then google the name with postcard behind it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2941998;
    He lives in Kansas, that's almost Southern, not in geography, but in some of the attitude. They still like that cheap whiskey and ammunition there too.

Buglover, I like your balloon idea. I have been at a loss for several years as to what to do as both my mom and grandmother are gone, but I like that idea.

I tend to get gypped as my birthday and Mother's day are ALWAYS in teh same week. But I have already started my "wish list". I need perfume and I saw a really cute necklace I wanted that was very inexpensive. It's glass beads. Very cute. Both can be had for under $75. That's how I'm putting it to my family anyway.

You deserve not to get gypped!!!

buglover, love your attitude. Get that ped-egg!!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2940549;
    It's hard to go wrong with a bottle of cheap whiskey and a box of shotgun shells
    Hmm. My mom doesn't drink nor does she have a shotgun. And I'd be very scared to give her a bottle and a handgun! What to do? What to do?

There's some really great ideas here you guys! Thanks!

I found a fish, shell, and seahorse in white at Jysk for $3 each on clearout. I'm painting them to match the colors of my Mom's shower curtain; rose, yellow, and green. Then I'll spray them all with a shiny acrylic sealer.

She had 3 porcelain fishies on her bathroom wall for ages, but they didn't match anymore when she changed colors years ago. I have those, but never figured out how to repaint them. So hopefully, these will turn out okay.

myrosiedog: I'm sure that your family will recognize both your birthday and Mother's Day! Even if it's one big celebration! You deserve to enjoy both! Make sure there's a nice cold Margherita there somewhere!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2943393;
    Have you tried doing a search on the internet for the postcards? You may be able to find them at the Metropolitan. Try The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York: metmuseum.org

Or on ebay?

Or just a google search. If you have the names of the paintings, then google the name with postcard behind it and see what happens.
    Ebay is a good idea, I'll have to try that. Google has yielded lots of postcard printing services, so maybe if I'm really in a bind, I could try to find some high quality jpgs and use one of those. Museum websites don't seem to have as much in the way of postcards... I just wish I'd thought of this idea when I was at Giverny, where they probably have a great selection. The Met is right in my neighborhood, though, and I did manage to pick up a couple postcards there. Didn't have any luck at the MoMA.

Since I really only have a week, though, and I don't want to rush through it, I've already decided that I'm going to hold off. Hopefully in the meantime, my sister will be able to snag some postcards in France.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast