+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business Stuff

Business Stuff

Hi! I couldn't find a thread for this so I started one. If there is one, please put this in it.

I'm thinking of starting a business. Not a "real" business yet, but a shell of a "business". I want to start promoting my face-painting and glitter tattoos in the neighborhood this summer to earn a bit of money to pay for all the classes and supplies. It's more of a hobby-business if that exists.

I have so many questions and if anyone has any suggestions or would like to discuss their own businesses, I thought this would be a good place.

Now, realize that I am stooooopid about having a business. Never done it. Don't know what's all required.

- Firstly, I'm trying to design a business card. I've gotten a few ideas together and my sweetie, who is a graphic designer is trying to make my ideas make sense and look good. But once I have a design do I just get some printed at a Copy store?
    - Then I figured I needed an invoice pad and a receipt book for any events I book. Got those at Staples.
    - Then I have a calendar where I can write down what events I'm booked for so I don't forget.

? - Do I need to open a bank account to keep things separate?
    ?- Do I need to get a domain name secured?
    ?- Do I need a website or webpage for people to see photos of my work?
    ?- Should I get a separate e-mail address than my regular one?
    ?- I know I don't need a business license because this is more like a busking type of thing. I checked with the City and you can apply for specific places, which isn't what I'm wanting, or you can apply for each individual festival that you may want to sell your wares at. Which isn't what I'm wanting either.
    ?- What else do I need to do? I consider this to be something similar to hosting a home party for make-up or kitchen stuff. Except that I go to their homes.

Any ideas would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Re: Business Stuff

I don't have any experience in any of this but my advice is this:

I would get the business cards that you can print at home. That's if you have a good printer. If not, there are websites that seem to be pretty reasonble for business cards. Here's one - http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/freepre...1%3A59%3A31+AM

I would get a separate bank account for income tax reasons. Easier to keep track of expenses and income.
    Yes to the website or at least have a blog somewhere so you can point people to and have it on your cards.

Good luck and can't wait to see photos and/or the website!

business cards - you can get preperforated paper and print your own if your printer is good. they are worth having, get matte finish - the slick finishes look good, but hard to make notes on the back or even front if you want to note something specifically.
    Good idea to have a separate bank account - my bank had a free account that was easy to set up.

I'm not sure where you are located - but when tracking your books, always separate about 30-40% for taxes - separate it immediately and hold it back. No surprises when that quarterly payment comes.
    I got my domain and website through Yahoo Small Business. easy to maintain, you get emails, and a design system for your site. Its a monthly fee - go for the cheapest first and you can always grow into more.

I just use excel for my books, switching over to access. But Quickbooks and other software out there is very helpful for your bookkeeping and invoicing/etc.
    I just have a control problem and want to do it the way I want to...

I have had my own home based software consulting/programming business for 6 years now.

I say yes to the website and separate bank account. I think with any sort of artistic venture, the more examples of your work you can show the more business you will attract.

Good luck, misskitty! I hope you have lots of fun and make tons of money!

MissKitty, a friend of mine runs his own business. He orders business cards off the Internet, and I don't think they're very expensive, and he can design it however he wants and put pictures on them or whatever. They arrive in just a few days, and look very professional. I don't know which website it is, but I'm sure you could google and find something similar.

From having listened to his problems, I would say a separate bank account and a website with photos and contact information are a must. Putting up well-done flyers around town might be helpful as well. Buying a domain name is very easy -- I bought one through Yahoo, it's like $20 for a year or something, and they'll reup you automatically if you want so no one can steal it. Oh, I see Schmoo said the same thing.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Meowza! GRRRRReat advice and suggestions! Thank you everyone!

I'll check out vistaprint and Yahoo and see what's there. I guess I have my work cut out for me, for sure. I won't be making tons of money as I don't have the energy to work every day or anything. Last year, I face-painted children for 4 1/2 hours straight and I was in bed for 3 days after that. But it was fun! If I can make enough money to pay my upfront expenses, fix my fence and put new shingles on my roof this year, I'll be beyond happy.

And keep the kitties in kitty treats!!!
    I sent myself some flowers to day for 'secretary's week'.
    I think I'll take myself out to lunch this week too.

Now, what should I get myself for Boss's day?

misskitty I run a home based business and we are both in Canada so if there is anything I can help with pm me.

re: the separate bank account. You don't have to keep separate accounts unless your business is so big that you a) earn more than $30 000 in four consecutive quarters and b) you intend to draw a salary and incorporate yourself.

If your business can't afford to purchase it's own domain name at this time you can always take pictures of your work and keep a scrapbook. If you are being booked for parties I assume that parents would meet you face to face? You can show them then (until you can get a domain name)

Business cards are always good!

YES! get yourself a business email address - web based like gmail or something.

I wouldn't bother with a business license as a hobby you probably won't pull in enough to have tax headaches. It's a waste of money. Actually if you report this as income you might have to collect and submit GST (my business is exempt, your's might be too)

ETA: if you are going to report what you make as income you give receipts, if you are not going to report it DO NOT GIVE RECEIPTS. If you are going to report your earnings as income then you have a whole heck of a lot more to think about.

I would do the fliers. Putting them on church bulletin boards, near party rental centers, daycares, schools and sports fields are probably your best bet. Also contact children's stores (like The Children's Place, kid's bookstore, toystore) I've seen face painters make a bundle at these places. Advertizing in the newspaper has always been a bust for me, putting a sign up on the nearest busy street to me (1/2 block away) has always been the most effective, but they are also my target demo.
    Last edited by Duxxy; 04-21-2008 at 01:20 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by duxxy
    ... the separate bank account. You don't have to keep separate accounts unless your business is so big that you a) earn more than $30 000 in four consecutive quarters and b) you intend to draw a salary and incorporate yourself...
    Wow, thanks Duxxy for your input. I honestly don't expect to make that much money. I really enjoy painting the kids (because I dont' have any of my own) and seeing them happy. The idea of flyers is great and where you suggested were fabulous ideas too.

I'm hoping that once I'm organized a bit more, I can do a fundraiser at our PetSmart when our Animal Rescue Foster people are there with their animals. Then I can raise a little extra money for them and promote myself at the same time.

How do I know if my business is exempt. Is there a site I can go to?

I really appreciate your thoughts!

Home-Based Business - Canada Business

this is a link from the Government of Canada web page. some info available on-line might help you too. GOOD LUCK!!
    If your not the lead dog the scenery never changes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast