+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Random Acts of Kindness

Re: Random Acts of Kindness

You are lucky, but isn't it a shame that we need to think that way? Mine from last week Saturday - I was going to CVS/Pharmacy to pick up things and outside the door was a young man in his 20s, looked clean etc., asked if I had any spare change. I said no I use credit or debit cards (even though I had $$ in my wallet) and kept walking into the store, did my shopping and was walking out of the store, went past this kid and got to the curb to cross the street, turned around walked back and said to him, be honest with me what would you do with the $$, If you want ot buy booze or dope, tell me I'm not a cop, he said he hadn't eaten in a day and a half and was hungry. (I didn't smell booze on him and something about him that I normally feel about panhandlers didn't wave a red flag) So I pulled a $20.00 out of my wallet and said go get something to eat, and if you ever get the chance, do something like this for someone else.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Mr buglover takes homeless men to the closest food place and buys them a meal. He has said he has the best conversations with alot of the homeless men he runs into. They have so much to tell and 6 out of 10 are actually very intelligent, just down on their luck.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2948204;
    You are lucky, but isn't it a shame that we need to think that way? Mine from last week Saturday - I was going to CVS/Pharmacy to pick up things and outside the door was a young man in his 20s, looked clean etc., asked if I had any spare change. I said no I use credit or debit cards (even though I had $$ in my wallet) and kept walking into the store, did my shopping and was walking out of the store, went past this kid and got to the curb to cross the street, turned around walked back and said to him, be honest with me what would you do with the $$, If you want ot buy booze or dope, tell me I'm not a cop, he said he hadn't eaten in a day and a half and was hungry. (I didn't smell booze on him and something about him that I normally feel about panhandlers didn't wave a red flag) So I pulled a $20.00 out of my wallet and said go get something to eat, and if you ever get the chance, do something like this for someone else.
    That was so very nice of you gabriel.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2948422;
    Mr buglover takes homeless men to the closest food place and buys them a meal. He has said he has the best conversations with alot of the homeless men he runs into. They have so much to tell and 6 out of 10 are actually very intelligent, just down on their luck.
    Please tell him to be sure to watch it, though. There was a woman at the WalMart right before Christmas this year in a thin, flimsy dress and open heel shoes who asked me for a ride to El Hotel Cheapo about 1/2 mile from there. Well it was cold and wet, so what the hey. For some reason, I just knew to let her out in the office area, not back at the room she was indicating, around the side of the building. As I watched in the rearview, 2 men came out from behind the huddle house next door and joined her going into the room. It just didn't look right to me.

Most of the panhandlers (and there are legions of them here!) around here don't get anything from me, but there is one smiling old fellow who always has a positive message on his cardboard sign--even though you can see he's been pretty badly injured, permanently at some point. I can't give him money often, but I do now and then. L also saves his old overalls for this guy, who loves wearing them. Getting those old Libertys makes the old fellow's eyes light up big time!

Gabriel, when I help someone who looks capable, that's always the same thing I tell them--""just pass it on".
    Last edited by queenb; 04-26-2008 at 08:59 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Gabriel and Queenb, you are wonderful people. Not all panhandlers are drunks or drug addicts, but people that have hit a bad patch.

About 8 years ago the Governor of Florida (Jeb Bush) closed a LOT of the states mental hospitals and the patients were in effect turned out on the streets. Group homes were suppoed to pick up the slack and that didn't happen, so there were large numbers of people that had no choice but to live on the streets, panhandle, etc. And without their regular routines, medication, therapy, etc., it was really, really sad to see this happen.
    Sadly many ended up in the prison system, but many established these little homeless camps in wooded areas where there was much abuse, violence, drinking, drugs, etc.

There was one guy in our town that it was very obvious he could not work a regular job, but many people were able to give him small jobs to do and my husband routinely would give him money and then just talk to him. He LOVED my husband because no one else would just talk to him. I think sometimes besides a hot meal, they crave company as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I don't like to throw a damper on this feel good thread but y'all need to be careful when it comes to helping strangers.
    Woman says gift of food led to attack | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean
    Woman says gift of food led to attack
    Fran MacLaren says it was a random act of kindness that led to a random act of violence.

And she was the victim.

MacLaren gave a homeless man a double cheeseburger; David Craig, the homeless man, gave her a beating, MacLaren testified in court on Friday.

"It causes you to lose faith in humanity," she said.

Craig, 41, will face a grand jury and is being held on $75,000 bond after a judge found probable cause. At the hearing there was laughter at MacLaren's attitude and explanation of the attack but it also led to removal of Craig's court-appointed lawyer by the judge.

The case, as explained in court, started when MacLaren went to a Nolensville Road McDonald's for a late lunch on Monday. The homeless man, Craig, was outside of the fast-food chain after being told to leave a nearby liquor store.

MacLaren gave Craig the cheeseburger as he was lying down in a parking spot outside the restaurant. Craig shouted he didn't want the burger, just money and threw the burger at MacLaren, she testified.

"I told him he was an ungrateful bastard," she testified.

Craig went after her, she said, and MacLaren pepper-sprayed him in the eyes.

Enraged, Craig rammed her over a 4-foot retaining wall, MacLaren said. He struck her repeatedly, broke her nose, fractured her wrist, cheekbone and cracked a rib, she said. She also injured her knee.

She limped into the McDonald's but was later locked out of the restaurant. "I was bleeding from my nose," she said. "No one was helping."

Public Defender Mary-Kathryn Harcombe asked whether MacLaren had been drinking and if she was drunk during the attack and whether she had really tried to avoid the attack.

Harcombe told the judge that her story seemed incredible and there was surely more to it.

"What's incredible is that this woman was beaten like this," said Judge Casey Moreland . "What's incredible is that no one helped her. How did she get those bruises and injuries?"

My Lord, Unklescott! If that would have happened to me I would have just kept walking and left the burger wherever.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

That was kind of stupid of her to call him an ungrateful bastard, no doubt.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2950632;
    That was kind of stupid of her to call him an ungrateful bastard, no doubt.
    Uh, yeah!

If I saw someone "laying down in the parking lot", I don't think I would have stopped to offer food. But if I had offered food and it was refused, I would have thrown it away and kept on going, I highly doubt I would have called him an ungrateful bastard.

Still she did not deserve to get beaten and its horrible that no one helped and why did McDonald's lock her out of the restaurant?

Seems like there is more to this story.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234