+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The closest to death

FORT Fogey

The closest to death

Not to be morbid, but whats the closest you have ever come to dying?

I've had a couple of close calls, but the most recent one was when mattress went flying off a of pickup truck in front of me. Fortunately, it bounced to the next lane of traffic, where it got caught under an 18-wheeler for a few seconds, then it bounced over 2 more lanes & landed in the median. It was a miracle that no one hit that thing (or should I say that IT didn't hit anyone). I was really shaken up by the whole thing.

I had been watching that mattress, not trusting it ~ it wasn't tied down, so I kept my distance from it, but I had to get behind the truck b/c I needed to exit (he was in the right lane). People are so dumb ~ why would you NOT tie it down? You really think that you're gonna go 60 mph & it's gonna stay put? DUH! Idiot. He's really lucky no one got hurt or killed by it ~ his ass would have been sued, at the very least.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

When I was three my dad, brother and I were going to have a picnic lunch with my mom after picking her up at work. We lived in Colorado and our car ran off the road and rolled down the side of a mountain. I flew out the window and landed in a big bush. One of the limbs on the bush punctured my left cheek and caught me there. When the car stopped rolling it pinned my dad under the car and my brother was laying next to him but was not stuck at all. My dad told my brother to walk up to the road to get help. My brother was too concerned about me and found me in the bush instead. A man had seen us swerve off of the road and went for help. By the time my brother found me an ambulance had arrived and their team was on the way down to help dad. Once we got to the hospital and all of us were cleaned up things did not seem so bad. My dad was just bruised and scratched from head to toe. My brother ended up getting stitches in his forehead and my cheek got 7 stitches. No one was seriously injured. Though I was not actually close to death, I consider that my miracle. Since then I have lead a pretty charmed life.

In 1992 I had an emergency appendectomy. I was out of the hospital in 3 days.

I have a pretty boring life.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

FORT Fanatic
    My friend and I were riding a snowmachine across a frozen lake at 2am in -20 degree conditions when we hit a slush pocket, sinking our machine into the lake. We had to swim/flounder through the neck deep slush for about a quarter mile, then walk through two feet of snow across the lake to the nearest cabin. Luckily we found someone who was home and friendly, and were able to warm up and get a ride home. We were basically wearing armor of ice from getting soaking wet and then being out in 20 below zero weather for three hours. It was pretty hairy.

I was also pretty close about a million times when I had a motorcycle - I remember passing on the center line between opposing traffic, on a rumble strip, at over 130 mph. That was pretty crazy, I look back on that and wonder how I didn't end up dying in a horrific head-on crash. I kept getting sucked in by the adrenaline of beating the guys at their own game. Then I realized, hey, I shouldn't be riding with these people if I'm going to ride like that. After that, I stopped riding with road racers and confined my racing to the racetrack - it's much safer that way!

My family & i were travelling on a plane & all of a sudden the plane plunged down & it just kept on going DOWN! people were screaming, The flight attendent hit his head badly & i was just shaking. Fortunately the pilot regained hold & we were told that it was bad turbulance.This happened years ago. i think i was 9.

Wow. These are pretty incredible stories, much closer brushes with death than I have had!

As far as I know, I've not been close to death in my adult life. When I was a child, there was a swimming pool behind the house. According to my family, I walked or crawled into the swimming pool on three separate occasions, all before I was two. Fortunately, two times one of my parents were watching and dove in after. One time they had no idea I had even entered the back patio. My mom glanced out the kitchen window and saw me face down in the pool. You would think I'd have a fear of drowning after that. Actually, I love swimming in all types of water bodies, no matter the temperature, though I daresay I'd ever get into Jill's frozen lake willingly. (Though, cold water I can handle, yes.)

I don't remember the near-drowning incidents. So far, in my memorable encounters with death, I'm a living witness. Many people close to me died when I was a teenager.

A car almost hit me when I was riding a bike. I am deaf, and when I was a kid, I used to think that I owned the road. Fortunately, the guy braked very well and did not hit me at all. But it was a scary moment, imagining how it would have felt if I was hit by a car going about 70 kph.

Also, my sister and I would go for rides on our 3-wheeler. One time, we were going fast and did not see a bump. The bump made the 3-wheeler bounce and both of us were bounced off the 3-wheeler onto the ground. The 3-wheeler ran over the leg of my sister, but she was ok. After I landed on the ground, I felt air was knocked out of me and I could not breathe... trying to gasp for air, finally I could breathe again. Helmets rule!

Amazing stories, kuifje. When you say that you "used to think that [you] owned the road," do you mean that you could not hear approaching cars? I have a kinda naive question about your hearing, if you don't mind my asking. You know how reptiles and amphibians sometimes have that tympanum that allows them to perceive vibrations, though they can't hear? Do you get the sense (in your diaphragm, perhaps) that a car is coming, though you may not hear it?

In any case, I am very glad that you FoRTers are all alive and that I have the opportunity to read your great posts.

I found this question finally

No, I do not mean owning the road as in what you said. I meant that I lived in the countryside and there were not that many cars passing by. I would just ride my bike on and off the road however I felt like it, and not check both ways before crossing.

About vibrations, I do feel vibrations and from time to time it can be so annoying. It is hard to explain... If I was riding a bike, I wouldn't hear a car coming at all though. But if I was driving in my car, and sometimes I would feel vibrations. I would start to worry if something is wrong with my car, then I realise shortly after that the vibrations were coming from another car with music going. Sometimes, I would be in my room and my dog would bark at the door. I would feel the barkings on the desk or on the floor and open the door for my dog. Well, it's hard to explain, but my family always think it is funny when I overreact from feeling vibrations somewhere.

The closest I ever came was when I had surgery to repair a broken ankle about five years ago. I had been given Morphine, not knowing that I had an allergy to it... I was in a two bed room, and the lady next to me was having trouble sleeping - she heard me stop breathing and called the nurse. I woke up to about six people standing over me, putting me on oxygen and calling my name...

They put me in ICU overnight, and everything was ok. No more Morphine for me, though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast