+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Help Please

Computer Help Please

Hi All,
    We bought some software for the computer. It's multi disk and most of the disks load and work fine. One of them however says it can't load because we have the "unInstallShield" on.

we looked everywhere for anything that said unInstallShield, but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know what this is and/or how to turn it off?

Thanks!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Don't know if this is important, and we haven't tried it on my computer yet, but the comp we're having problems with is XP Home.

InstallShield is a program that's actually installing the program you're trying to install. I know, that's confusing.

"InstallShield" is a small program which actually performs the work of installing your software - making sure it doesn't trip on other programs, etc.

So, of course it's running - it's IT.

Very odd.

but it's said UNInstallShield

Is that the same thing?

Also, XP has a way to set up different users. My husband installed it under his name and it worked, but when we tried to install it under my daughters "section" it didn't work... could it be trying to UNInstall on his to INstall on hers? He even upgraded her to "admin" to see if we could install it that way... thinking there are limitations in her "section"

Does that make sense

I'm not sure why it wouldn't do it, Cali. Sorry.

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    Most new software you acn check a box for all users when installing it. Older software before XP wont have that option. I have installed software on one profile and was able to make a shortcut for it as anouther user.

Try uninstalling the software from control panel then reinstall again. I havent played with multiple profiles in xp to much but with NT 4.0 on a few applications you had to install with each user.

John is right about The uninstall shield and it does both install and unistall.

BTW alot of older software will not work or run right with XP - I have a bunch of games that wont install or will and have lots of bugs in them

Thanks guys.

When you remove (uninstall) an application from your computer, you run the uninstallshield, which, to my knowledge, is a utility for the application to get rid of itself. (Although it leaves a lot of junk behind, and is the source of endless frustration for computer people like me.)

Two things you can try:

1. There may be an issue of administrative rights here. That is, XP is security-conscious, like Windows 2000 and NT before it. Make sure whoever is installing it has FULL administrative rights. This gets a little hairy because I don't have an XP machine in front me, and I can't do it from memory. Depending on how XP was set up when you fired up this computer for the first time, you may actually have an user account called "Administrator". Log into that account, and I'm willing to bet you can solve your problems right there. Yes, XP ought to be savvy enough to install it "across the board"--for your account, your daughter's account, your husband's account.

2. Copy the contents from each disk into a folder on your desktop you created called "newapp" or something. Run the install.exe from that folder and see what happens. I've had software hang before on install; sometimes, it's the disks not wanting to work with the cache on your CD-ROM drive.

If all else fails, call the manufacturer and ask if the software is compatible with XP. Don't let them wriggle out of it because even the most piss-poor development company should provide at least 7 to 10 days of telephone support, and also know if the product was certified under XP.

Hope that helps, cali.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Thanks Phat

We installed it on the downstairs computer for now.

I'm going to have my hubby read your post and figure it out!!

FORT Fanatic
    Cali, did you try to install it more than once on the same computer? You should have to install it only once on the administrator name on XP. Then, you should be able to add a shortcut to the desktop from the other XP names? Make any sense? I may be wrong lol.
    ScreencapCentral.com
    --Brian S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast