+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the first major news event you can remember?

What is the first major news event you can remember?

Me and hubby were talking last night about how much we could remember from when we were kids & how far back we can remember.

What is the first major news event you remember? (like a big celebrity dies or war news or man on the moon or similar....)

Growing up, I think my first major news event I can remember is from 1980 (I was 7 then) when one leg broke on a Norwegian oilrig & the oilrig sunk, I dont think there were any survivors....

Not sure how big of a newsflash that was here in the USA, but back home it was probably one of the worst disasters that has ever happened. Can't think of any I remember before that.

Anyhow.... was kinda fun thinking back :-)
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I remember watching the President kennedy funeral

My first "news" memory is when the Shuttle Challenger blew up. I was in 5th grade at the time.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Sleeping with George W
    The first news event I remember, other than dinosaurs roaming the Earth, was John Glenn orbiting the planet. I was in grade school ... I think the first grade. I remember we got to watch on TV, which was a huge deal back then.

Let's see. I remember the gas shortages in '77, and waiting in huge lines to get gas with my mom.

FORT Fogey
    I can remember one of the moon landings and some of the hype on water gate...
    The thing I remember the most clear though was when Elvis died, I think I was about 9 or 10 and I was sitting on my dads lap, a bunch of people were in the room at some friends house and we were watching a show and my dad was in this big recliner and I was on his lap and it came on the TV and I remember my dad calling my mom into the room to see it.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Well, the very first major event I can remember was the Gulf War. I was just 7 years old then and my family were talking about it at the dinner table. It got me quite interested.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Michael Jackson's concert in Singapore in 1993
    it's was quite a big thing then...created quite a whirl
    i was like...7??
    each time one loves is the only time one ever love...differences of object merely intensify the passion

Originally posted by joeguy
    I remember watching the President kennedy funeral

Me too. At least thats my earliest Newsworthy memory.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Originally posted by spegs
    My first "news" memory is when the Shuttle Challenger blew up. I was in 5th grade at the time.
    Mine too & i also remember when Libya was bombed as i recall Gaddafi's face on TV.I have no idea why the bombing took place though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast