+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What is the first major news event you can remember?

LG.
    444 days, Paulie. Two Christmases. I remember that too. Right after Reagan was sworn into office, somebody was running down the sidewalk shouting "Mr. President, Mr. President, the hostages are free!" We were watching the swearing in at a school assembly, so we all see that happen live.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Princess
    I remember telling everyone who would listen that it was The Curse of the Presidents Elected in Years Ending With Zero.
    So your career as a sage (or wahtever it's called) started in 5th grade already, Paulie??!! Impressive!

The first major news event I can recall is when we changed from driving on the left side to driving on the right side in 1967. Then the moon landing (what year was that?).

Oh -- I *so* don't remember HR Pufinstuff or the Bugaloos. Must have been a different market.

But I do remember *all* the words to all the Schoolhouse Rock bits. I noticed that it is now available on VHS, and I think I need to order it so my teenager can realize there is some basis to my tunes ... "Conjunction Junction .. what's your function?"

And to StevieM who said, "Funny this thread made me realize I don't remember too much from when I was a kid."

Me too! I think it's because my childhood was so odd, I have just blocked it all from my memory. Threads like this bring it all back ...

Sleeping with George W
    Originally posted by nlmcp
    LOL

I don't quite remember when water was invented but I do recall when we first learned how to boil it.
    Yeah ... and remember the invention of dirt???

simbna, I checked out the Schoolhouse Rock DVD from the library so I could show my kids. They were totally bored.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Originally posted by Paulie
    simbna, I checked out the Schoolhouse Rock DVD from the library so I could show my kids. They were totally bored.
    This song caused me much trauma as a child:

"I'm just a bill, yes I am only a bill..."

I mean, what would happen to little bill? Would that have any implications for me, Bill? I built myself a little fort in the living room and decided to wait it out...

Yes, Mom and Dad spent a lot of time just looking at me and shaking their heads.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

And now you have a great big FORT in your living room. You've come full circle, li'l fella!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Let's see... Other then the discovery of fire (that was a big one) and the invention of the wheel (another great one), the first big thing I'm really sure that I remember is Alan Shepherd's space flight. It was just up and back, but the whole school (and I mean grades 1 thru 12) went to the gym and watched some little black and white tv on wheels.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

What I find funny is my kids are learning history, and come home and ask me things like "were you a little girl during WWII?" "Thanks kids, I know motherhood has aged me but not that much."

I love school house rock....the only way I can recall the preamble is to sing it "We the people, in order to form a more perfect union"

HR Puffinstuff was a cool show, clearly the people writing it were on drugs but it was a cool show.

Yeah, I do remember when all the dirt was new and shiney and had that new dirt smell..........
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

My earliest memory is watching the berlin wall fall ,also the trial of Cescauscu which my dad let me watch with him on BBC(RTE ignored it).I remember the both of these two because it was one of the few times my dad left me watch the news.ALso the first time Ireland reached the soccer World Cup ,Cork winning the GAA Double are two big early memories in my mind.Both these latter happened in the summer of 1990 when I was 8 and always will be connected in my mind.

All of these happene when i was 7-9 so that was probably when my memory started to devolp
    What does Genisis and Darwin have in common they both have no conclusive proof and are theories

+ Reply to Thread