+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What is the first major news event you can remember?

Thanks a lot Bill. Now I'm singing...

The Bugaloos, The Bugaloos, they're in the air and everywhere. The Bugaloos...lalalalala.

Oh lord, take me now, before HR Puffinstuff takes over.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

*blank stare* Never heard of 'em. Maybe they were banned in Wyoming.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I looked this up just for you Paulie. See if it rings any bells.

"The Bugaloos" originally hit the airwaves back in 1970, and came from the highly creative minds of Sid and Marty Krofft. The Krofft brothers are well known for providing high quality children's television in the 1970s. The Bugaloos was the second show, in their wide and varied library.

The Bugaloos was a show about four musically-adept, teenaged kids, living in "Tranquility Forest", along with their friend, Sparky the Firefly. Tranquility Forest was located about 10 miles outside of "Rock City", where Peter Platter spun records at Kook Radio. Rock City was located in "Rock Land", which was also the home of Benita Bizarre (nemesis to the Bugaloos) who lived in a huge jukebox, and was forever trying to find a way to get her records played on Kook Radio.

Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

The first big thing I can remember was when Elvis died. I remember my dad telling my mom and I and I sat in my chair thinking quietly for a minute and then I ran up to my bedroom and flung myself on the bed and cried. I was 8 years old.
    Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. ~ Napoleon Dynamite

Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX
    Hey, I voted for John Anderson too in my class poll. I loved that old nut case!
    Shoot....I voted for him in real life. My first presidental election.

I was all of 18 and voted based on the Doonsberry cartoons and one interview I saw with him, was too busy trying to avoid getting kicked out of college my first term to pay close attention to what was going on.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

The earliest I can remember would probably be 1984?
    I remember lying on the floor with my dad and watching the Winter Olympic Games, and then watching the Summer Olympic Games in L.A. where the Russians boycotted the games. USA was doing so well in a lot of sports. I remember seeing Mary Lou Retton in gymnastics. Also, I remember a deaf athlete won in swimming category in the 1984 Summer Olympics. I was 9 years old...

Also, I remember the TWA hijackings. My dad told me about it and told me one day that the hostages were finally free! (Mind you, back then, we did not have close captioned TV until late 1980s.) I also remember the news reportage of the massive earthquake in Mexico City.
    Last edited by kuifje75; 04-10-2003 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks for looking that up, Z! Still no recollection AT ALL of those guys. I remember Sid and Marty Krofft shows, just not that one.

If you didn't have a picture and such incredible detail about the show, I'd assume you were making it up.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

i LOVED the bugaloos!!!

and though i didn't really care for hr puffinstuff, the song is still with me...

hr puffinstuff. he can't do a little cuz' he can't do enough

LG.
    I must have grown up in a cave. I don't remember either bugaloos or puffinstuf
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

It would've been cool if we were in the same cave.

+ Reply to Thread