+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the first major news event you can remember?

LG.
    I remember Elvis dying, as my Mom cried and cried. It was later, but I distinctly remember John Lennon dying, as my parents were out of town and we had a babysitter who was in high school at the time and she cried and cried and cried. She was like totally forgetting to feed us so my brothers and I called her mom, who came and stayed at our house until the babysitter calmed down a bit. I remember the gas shortages too, long lines for the pump and $0.50 a gallon, the horrors. The Shaw of Iran and the Ayatollah, hostages, the whole ball of wax.

Actually, probably the earlier somewhat newsey thing I remember was the Bicentennial in 1976 (I was 5) as all the men in town grew weird beards and ran around in old clothing (women and men, and unsuspecting kids). They put up patriotic bunting all over town, made these "shields" with the picture and info about each US president and placed them on the lampposts all down main street, and gave my silly little hometown of 2,000 people the official nickname "the city of Presidents" even though no real US president has ever even been there. They repainted the watertower from black and gold (the school colors) to red, white and blue and have kept it that way ever since. It was a little odd, so I'm sure most all kids from there who were my age or older remember the summer that the town turned red, white and blue.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fogey

Back in the day...a nostalgic journey

Things were really exciting when some guy in the Village rubbed two flintstones together and voila! FIRE!

That was my first taste of barbecued Wooly Mammoth steak. Couldn't get the hair out of my teeth for months.

Then one day, Oraff, our Village Elder was rolling something down a hill and he called it a wheel!!!!!

We danced around the bonfire that night, I can tell you!

After that it seemed like I waited forever to get behind the wheel of a car, but when I turned 16 my mom took me to the DMV and the rest is history.

mine have already been taken...

i come from a family of HUGE elvis fans.... he died when i was 7. i cried soooooo freakin' hard.

and reagan was shot when i was in 4th grade. i remember they wheeled TVs into the classroom.

The first news event I really remember thinking about a lot was the SALT II talks in the late 70's. I had just seen some TV special on Nostrodamus (whose name I cannot spell correctly, no matter how hard I try! ). I believe the special was called, "The Man Who Saw Tomorrow." Anyway, it ends with a bunch of nuclear war footage. I remember thinking that the SALT II talks were my only chance to not get killed in a nuclear war. I was maybe 7 or 8 at the time.

I also remember when Mt. St. Helens blew up in 1980. It was around my birthday (May 9), and the reason I remember it was because everything was covered with a fine coating of ash soon after the explosion. I was living in Wyoming at the time! That's how far away the ash traveled. I remember my favorite UFO Frisbee totally covered in it. I ran my finger through it on my way to the bus that morning.

I was in 5th grade when Reagan was shot. Little precocious Paulie was the only kid who voted for John Anderson in our class election, but I was definitely shocked when Reagan was shot. I remember telling everyone who would listen that it was The Curse of the Presidents Elected in Years Ending With Zero.

I was in 10th grade when the Challenger blew up. I heard about it on the bus on the way to school in Alaska. Like many folks, that was the most intense emotional reaction I'd ever had to a news event until 9/11.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Originally posted by joeguy
    I remember watching the President kennedy funeral
    I don't really remember JFK's funeral, but I do remember watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I was 4 years old. My borther was 11.
    You never know what you need until you don't have it

Re: Back in the day...a nostalgic journey

Originally posted by CaliGirl
    Things were really exciting when some guy in the Village rubbed two flintstones together and voila! FIRE!

That was my first taste of barbecued Wooly Mammoth steak. Couldn't get the hair out of my teeth for months.

Then one day, Oraff, our Village Elder was rolling something down a hill and he called it a wheel!!!!!

We danced around the bonfire that night, I can tell you!

After that it seemed like I waited forever to get behind the wheel of a car, but when I turned 16 my mom took me to the DMV and the rest is history.
    You never know what you need until you don't have it

Originally posted by Paulie
    Little precocious Paulie was the only kid who voted for John Anderson in our class election...
    I voted for him in our class election too. In fact, at our school Anderson won by a landslide. I couldn't believe he didn't win in the general election. I think that is the first major news story I remember.

A kindred spirit, Z!

He had nice white hair like my dad, if memory serves...
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Hey, I voted for John Anderson too in my class poll. I loved that old nut case!

I used to get pissed that the Bugaloos were getting preempted by the Watergate hearings. Don't laugh, a couple of those Bugaloo women were hot!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Well, hell! There's three votes right there, spread across three different states, too (probably). Why aren't we talking about President Old Nut Case?!?

+ Reply to Thread