+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the first major news event you can remember?

I think I'd have to say the Gulf War. I was around 5 or 6, I believe.

I remember seeing RFK stumping for votes in Coronado, California about a week or so before he was shot. I was working in the Marshall Islands when the Challenger blew up. My Dad got pictures of it, the first time he had taken pictures of a shuttle going up, we lived in Cape Cananveral at the time.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I remember the conflict between Israel and the PLO. Every summer (for about 5 years) my mother and I would fly to Israel to visit her parents. Around age 8, Israel invaded Lebanon. At that age I clearly had very little understanding of the situation, but got used to walking through city streets alongside multiple young soldiers carrying rifles.

I attended a new school after that summer and have this strange recollection of lying to my classmates, after having told them about my summer vacation. "The apartment building was bombed across the street from us!"

I think I was around 10 (not sure) and I know "bigger things" had happened
    but, for some reason my first memory is Elvis dying.

I don't think the t.v was on too much when I was growing up and we were out most of the time.
    Funny this thread made me realize I don't remember too much from when I was a kid.

I just remember my friends telling me Elvis died (they knew I loved him) and they thought it was kinda funny.

-it wasn't cool to like Elvis -

go figure.
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

Originally posted by holly71
    That was my most vivid memory of a news event, until 9/11. Now 9/11 is my most vivid, followed by the Challenger explosion.
    Those are my most vivid memories, too.

Another moment that I'll always remember is when Selena was shot. I was a big fan of hers.

My first big news event also was when the Challenger blew up. I grew up in New Hampshire where Christa McCaullif was from. We were all ready to have her teach science classes from space. I was in fourth grade and went home and cried.
    Who shot who in the what now?

My first big news event also was when the Challenger blew up. I grew up in New Hampshire where Christa McCaullif was from. We were all ready to have her teach science classes from space. I was in fourth grade and went home and cried.
    That is such a bittersweet story, greenflute

When the challenger exploded, I was also in grade school. All our classes kind of faded out, and we students just wandered around the school and stopped in on those rooms that had TV sets.

Originally posted by joeguy
    hmmm.... eden, nlmcp, ili and i must be the cavemen here, remember back when water was invented, or at least the oldest memories
    LOL

I don't quite remember when water was invented but I do recall when we first learned how to boil it.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

The first major news event I remember is Apollo 11 landing on the moon. I was only 7 years old, but my mom always got me out of bed to watch the liftoff and we pretty much stayed glued to the TV until they landed back on earth. We watched all the Apollo missions pretty closely as did most people we knew.

I also have some foggy memories of the Kennedy and King assasinations as well.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Well other than feeding the dinosaurs out the back door, the earliest important thing was the Kennedy assasination. I lived in Pasadena Ca , and they took us all into the gym and told us what had happened.When His brother was shot I was back living in Canada, and I remember my mother telling me.

+ Reply to Thread