+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the first major news event you can remember?

Leo
    Premium Member
    A volcano went ka-boom over here in 1990 and sprinkled ash all over the place. That's the first big news event I remember.

Hmmmm I think it would be Jimmy Carter being voted president. I have this wierd memory of being at my friend Melissa's house and us running around saying something to the effect of "ewww a peanut farmer is gonna be president ewwwwww".

I vaguley remember the gas shortages in '77. Just remember being in line, which seemed like a mile long, waiting to get gas.

The first major impacting news to me that I remember was the Shuttle Challenger blowing up. I remember that I was in (H.S)gym class and when it was annouced over the P.A.. I had an overwhelming feeling of sadness.

I remember when Elvis died. That's my first memory of a news story. I remember seeing him all over the tabloids at the grocery store when I was a kid. I was 6 years old. But my most vivid memory was when the Challenger blew up. I was in 9th grade at the time. That was my most vivid memory of a news event, until 9/11. Now 9/11 is my most vivid, followed by the Challenger explosion.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Fun thread!

some of your responses have sparked my memory.

I remember being particularly numb to the news - or that I should personally retain any of the information contained therein (that was a job for my parents!)

I remember when Elvis died ... I was about 10, and my mother cried as if she had lost an old friend.

Regan was shot when I was in Jr. High. I remember that my parents called the school and asked to have me paged to the office for the call. They told me the news, and I passed it along. No one at the school had heard yet.

I was in the college library when the Challenger went down - so some of you have made me feel a little old ...

The first major news I remember was when Regan was shot. I was in the fifth grade and they brought in a tv to show us.

I lived in the town that made the rocket boosters for the Space Shuttle so that was the first major news that really impacted my life. I was in Algebra class in 9th grade. Pretty sad news.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I remember RFK getting shot.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    hmmm.... eden, nlmcp, ili and i must be the cavemen here, remember back when water was invented, or at least the oldest memories

I have trouble rembering when things happened

I remember Elvis dying, I was at my Grandparents house on the front porch when I heard.

I remember the gas shortages. One of the cars had an "even" tag and the other had an "Odd" tag, so we could get gas daily.

I remember when it became "OK" to make a right turn on red... I don't know why I remember that
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey
    yea I was in college when the challenger blew up
    HS when Reagan was shot ... hmm I do feel a little old

+ Reply to Thread