+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: What is the first major news event you can remember?

Not a first major event, but a major event nonetheless, John F. Kennedy Jr., His Wife Carolyn Bessett and her sister Lauren going down in the ocean. My Mom called me, because she knows I am a major Kennedy "freak" and said you might want to turn on TV (It was a saturday morning July 17) She never calls on saturday at 7AM. I turned on the TV and watched pretty much for 2 days, that sunday I had the family over for a brunch and my brother said something to the effect of wasted tax dollars and stupid President Clinton having the navy etc., searching. Just as I was about to turn on him, my Mom bless her heart, said "Why shouldn't they all be looking for them, his father was President and assassinated at that so be quiet!"
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I know these have already been said several times, and not sure which happened first.. but i remember Elvis dying being announced on the radio and then I also remember the Iran hostages, mostly because the church [yes i lived in a small, small town lol] rang its bells once for each hostage every day until they were released.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai View Post
    Me too. At least thats my earliest Newsworthy memory.
    Yah, count me in, too, as the person who Gen X people love to hate: "What were YOU doing the day Kennedy died?"

I remember VH1 had a special on that, and all the Gen X'ers were like "Whatever".

I was 11 years old at the time, and the entire primary school was in the gymnasium, ready for a clown show. The principle announced over the loud speaker, just as the show was about to begin, "I'm sad to announce....that our President, President John Fitzgerald Kennedy, was prounounced dead 5 minutes ago." (They held off on telling anyone in school until it was confirmed.)

There was stone silence, and then the auditiorium broke up into ruins. The teachers were sobbing and collapsing, us older kids were crying on our own, and the really young kids were following our lead. I distinctly remember the clowns standing up on the stage, with their make-up on....just standing there. They finally left the stage after 5 minutes and we were all ushered into our home rooms, to cry the rest of the day.

So ended Camelot and the Glory Years immediately after the Korean War. Bobby was next, then King, the Viet Nam War and our total loss of innocence. No wonder the 70's were about rebelling against "The System".
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Yah, count me in, too, as the person who Gen X people love to hate: "What were YOU doing the day Kennedy died?"
    I remember VH1 had a special on that, and all the Gen X'ers were like "Whatever".
    So ended Camelot and the Glory Years immediately after the Korean War. Bobby was next, then King, the Viet Nam War and our total loss of innocence. No wonder the 70's were about rebelling against "The System".
    Taking this thread off course, for which I apologize in advance, my dear lambikins, even though I was only 5 the day JFK was assassinated and I only slightly remember my mothers reaction of shock, is my belief that November 22, 1963 as you write "So ended Camelot...." holds more true than most people will either realize or admit to, as in a few short moments we lost not only our youngest elected President, had that pink Chanel suit that Jaqueline was wearing indelibly etched into our minds crawling onto the trunk of that big beautiful car, we lost our youth, a large part of our vitality, our "vigah" and our very blind innocence. That one horrible horrible day began a decade of senseless killings, rioting and total mistrust. Our collective eyes were forever opened. Even though many people now write that Jacqueline Kennedy had no right to compare this time to Camelot, I say she did. It was a time for handsome young people, tasteful fashion, the next generation, the young generation to move the US into the 1960s and beyond. We were in a race for the moon because of this Presidency, we had the peace corps, we had people actually wanting to do something for America using their brains and hearts instead of their brawn, all things modern and techologically advanced were beginning to become reality. All this ended in six very long seconds. .....'Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for one brief shining moment that was known as Camelot'. .

Camelot! The sound of that word evokes in many Americans an instant remembrance of the opening notes of the musical's title song, coupled with a poignant feeling of loss for what was once a golden time in America.

Two weeks after President John F. Kennedy's assassination, author Theodore White was told by his widow, Jacqueline: “At night before we'd go to sleep, Jack liked to play some records; and the song he loved the most came at the end of this record. The lines he loved to hear were: 'Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for one brief shining moment that was known as Camelot'. . . there'll be great presidents again. . . but there'll never be another Camelot. . . . This was Camelot. . . . Let's not forget.” (Life, Dec. 6, 1963). This sense of innocence lost and hope blighted is echoed in the musical's story
    Last edited by just1paul; 02-06-2006 at 09:08 PM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread