+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What is the first major news event you can remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    My husband called me today and said "please tell me that the Challenger explosion was NOT 20 years ago." I told him to remember that our 20 year old son was 1 month old when it happened. Where does the time go?
    Wow, tomorrow is th 20 year anniversary. It seems like just yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    One thing I did do (thanks to my mom saying about the moon landing: "you'll remember this all your life")
    I took a photo of my daughter holding the newspaper from Sept. 12, 2001 that says: ACT OF WAR!!!! so that she can look back one day and go: wow, I was that little when that happened? Well, that little, she was in 4th grade.
    My husband and I were vacationing in Florida with our 7 and 5 year old girls when the towers were struck. We were definately fixated on the tv and didn't even think about the kids being affected by watching it untill we (and they) had watched it a couple dozen times. I think that we were in shock. I'm sure when my kids are asked later what is the first big news event they remember, it will be 9/11.

As for me, I remember in grade school holding a mock election for McGovern and ? . My parents must have been voting for McGovern cause thats the name I remember! - but who was he running against? Whoever it was must have won because I'm sure McGovern is not on the US President's list!
    And yes, I know I sound like a complete idiot!

Actually I think the name of this thread should be changed from
    "what is the first major news event you can remember?" to
    "What were you doing when you found out about major events in news/history or your life?"

Can SOMEONE do this?

As to the Challenger, I had given the shipping clerk off that dayy and was working the receiving/shipping dock at Chapman's Department Store, loading up our truck to have a driver go to the branch stores with merchandise, John had brought his portable TV which we were watching the launch and then it happened. We both turned at looked at each other and at the same time went WHAAAA?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    When Jimmy Carter was elected. We were living in NJ but my mother is from Georgia and during the election some kids would tease me and speak in a southern accent and ask if we were voting for Carter (I guess their families were Ford supporters). That was my first exposure to politics I was happy when he won because the kids teased me and it was sort of like revenge for me!
    AHHH Jimmy Carter - Miss lillian, Billy Actually President Carter had he been given a second term would have done well for international and domestic affairs. He has turned into quite the statesman and I liked the "HOMEY-NESS" of the Carters. Billy beer was awful though.
    Last edited by just1paul; 01-28-2006 at 08:00 AM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy Carter when he came into the restaurant I was at. He was down scrutineering the Peru elections. It freaked out the kids when the burly secret service entered first, whammed open the bathroom doors, and sent the little kids squealing (lol). Our group and his were the only ones in the restaurant, and he came over after his meal and chatted with us for quite a while. One of my daughters who was oblivious to who he was said something quite funny to him and he gave her a big hug. He is a very charming man, and really on the ball.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
    My husband and I were vacationing in Florida with our 7 and 5 year old girls when the towers were struck. We were definately fixated on the tv and didn't even think about the kids being affected by watching it untill we (and they) had watched it a couple dozen times. I think that we were in shock. I'm sure when my kids are asked later what is the first big news event they remember, it will be 9/11.

As for me, I remember in grade school holding a mock election for McGovern and ? . My parents must have been voting for McGovern cause thats the name I remember! - but who was he running against? Whoever it was must have won because I'm sure McGovern is not on the US President's list!
    And yes, I know I sound like a complete idiot!
    McGovern ran against Nixon in 1972
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile View Post
    I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy Carter when he came into the restaurant I was at. He was down scrutineering the Peru elections. It freaked out the kids when the burly secret service entered first, whammed open the bathroom doors, and sent the little kids squealing (lol). Our group and his were the only ones in the restaurant, and he came over after his meal and chatted with us for quite a while. One of my daughters who was oblivious to who he was said something quite funny to him and he gave her a big hug. He is a very charming man, and really on the ball.
    His books are also quite good. He had bad luck as President but has shown himself to be the consumate gentlemen and statesman and has done many wonderful things since leaving office.

I also remember the first landing on the moon; watching it on a small black and white tv that had a record player in the bottom cabinet. My Dad took a B&W photo of the tv showing them taking the first steps with the flag. I'll never forget that.

Also, many other things since then; JFK being shot, the Challenger disaster, the death of Elvis, the death of Paul Lennon, the death of Princess Di, the death of Gianni Versace, 9/11 of course, the tsunami, the gunning down of 4 RCMP officers near where I live, many, many terrible things. Then there were wonderful things like the wedding of Charles and Diana, the Canadians winning the hockey game against Russia for the first time (way back when), various historic Olympic events like the perfect scores of Nadia Comanech.

I guess I'm dating myself. And when my sweetie isn't in town, I really am!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post

I guess I'm dating myself. And when my sweetie isn't in town, I really am!
    Very funny!

Thanks myrosiedog - it was Nixon. How could I forget.

And as far as "what were you doing", When the challenger went down I was lifting weights in one of my college electives - PE. My gym teacher started crying.

MRD
    [QUOTE=MidnightSun;1755821]

Thanks myrosiedog - it was Nixon. How could I forget.

QUOTE]

I will never be able to forget. I have a brother who is 14 years older than I and he and his wife campaigned for McGovern. I was 10 in 1972 and I vividly remember the tirades my dad went on about McGovern and my brother and how it embarrassed my father, etc. Even tho my dad was a Democrat, he was a Nixon supporter. I still have a campaign hat that my dad had that looks like a "straw boater" type of hate that the hatband says Nixon. It's quite the conversation piece when people come over and see it in our curio cabinet. :LOL
    Anyway, due to all the hoopla in my house during the campaign that year, I will NEVER forget it.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Then there were wonderful things like the wedding of Charles and Diana,
    Last February, I took my best friend, her daughter nad my daughter to a traveling exhibit of Princess Diana's memorabilia that her brother is sponsoring for charity. It had THE wedding dress and the flower girl dresses, shoes, etc. all by themselves in one room with video of the wedding day and huge photos of the wedding on the walls of the room. The dress was showcased right in the center of the room.

OMG! When we walked in that room and saw that, we all almost started crying. It was just SO incredibly beautiful and of course my friend and I remember the wedding. Her daughter was 8 (I took her for her birthday to see this exhibit) and we were telling her how we had to get up really, really early in the morning here in America to watch the wedding on tv and she asks her mom: "Did you get me up early to watch it too?" Soo funny. Her mom says: "No, I was 10, you weren't even here yet".

It was an amazing exhibit and her other clothes were just gorgeous along with all the other memorabilia and stuff. But I've never seen anything like that wedding gown. WOW!

Then as we are all standing there in awe looking at the intricate details of the gown, some idiot says: "Oh my GAWWWDDDD!!! Look at how BIG her feet were!" Well the shoes were kind of big, but she was a tall girl you know? Still it was just here we were all whispering in reverence at seeing this extraordinary dress worn by such an extraordinary woman and to hear this ignoramous say that at the top of her voice was just too much.

The shoes had gold leaf decorations on the toes and were also gold leafed ON THE BOTTOM!!!! Oh, to be a Princess. SIGH!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread