+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What is the first major news event you can remember?

FORT Regular
    I barely remember the Shah/Iran situation. I was born in 1973, so I wasn't too old, but I remember that my Dad worked for NCR at the time and had to travel to Egypt, and we were worried about his safety.

I vividly remember Charles & Diana's wedding - I even wrote about it in my diary! "Her train was 25 feet long..."

I remember when Reagan was elected - I too voted for Anderson in our elementary school poll. I remember finding out on the playground from some older girls that he had been shot.

And, the Challenger tragedy. I was in junior high, found out in the gym locker room. I don't remember what year it was, but I do know it was January 28th - my birthday.

I am the oldest person in the world. Only a few homes in the neighborhood had TVs, & these were the 8" round screens in a cabinet weighing several hundred pounds. Our TV repairman (Jimmy) would come to the house & change the tubes when they blew out, & help us adjust the rabbit ears.
    I remember watching news footage of the Korean War on TV, & looking for my uncle who was fighting there. Other than that, it was all Mickey Mouse & Captain Kangaroo until Telstar, Sputnik & John Glenn, the Bay of Pigs & the JFK assassination. And another big news item was the invention of polio "juice" instead of the dreaded shots; of course, we were skeptical that the oral liquid would protect us as well as the shots.
    Loved eating TV dinners on TV trays...

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere
    The earliest news event I remember (If it qualifies as a 'news' event) is the US Bicentennial in 1976 when I was five. I also remember Elvis dieing, the Reagan assasination attempt and John Lennon being killed.
    Wow, the Bicentennial was what I was going to say along with the Iran hostages.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

Geez, Christa, I was one of the lucky ones to get to drink the polio juice! I also remember watching 1/2 of Ed Sullivan-we had to go to bed that early!! And we did get to watch the Beatles, altho' you couldn't hear them over the screams!

The first major event I remeber was the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. I remember walking into the living room to watch the World Series, and right after I sat down a news bulletin came on, reporting that a major earthquake had struck Northern California. I was living in Central California at the time, and my family was in San Francisco, so naturally I was worried. Everyone was okay.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    The earliest news event I remember is a program on the news showing the swearing-in of Jimmy Carter, but it also had a piece on Ford leaving the office. I remember it because I watched Gerald Ford walk away from the camera, in some kind of field with small, old cannons--it could have been some kind of memorial grounds--and he looked so terribly sad to me and I felt bad for him. I was not quite 4 yet, so the politics of the situation didn't play into my reaction.

This is odd, but I remember the moon landing (it's odd because I really should be too young to remember). It's actually part of one of my first memories - my mom was crouched on the floor with her back to the TV, and calling me to her.

I also remember the Pierre Trudeau/Queen scandal, and seeing him and his wife Margaret on TV with one of their sons when he was a baby.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by TARfan_Carrie

And, the Challenger tragedy. I was in junior high, found out in the gym locker room. I don't remember what year it was, but I do know it was January 28th - my birthday.
    1986. It was took place on my grandmother's 75th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    This is odd, but I remember the moon landing (it's odd because I really should be too young to remember).
    That's mine too. I don't know how I remember it so well, I was really young...but I even remember the TV and what the room looked like.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    My first memory of a major news event was the assassination of President Kennedy. I was his children's age, and I remember feeling so sad for Caroline and "John-John", because they didn't have a daddy anymore. Our school closed for the entire week, and I remember watching his funeral, sitting on the floor, while my mom cried her eyes out.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

+ Reply to Thread