+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Living

Re: Green Living

I can't do anything about how far I drive to work, but I have saved almost 20% in fuel cost by driving the speed limit lately--they really won't run over you as long as you stay out of the two left lanes on the interstate. My car already would get 30 mpg, now I usually get 36.

I don't use any artificial chemicals on my flowers or vegetables, and no bug killers outdoors at all. (I do spray inside the house and treat for termites once a year, but you pretty much have to in this climate.)

I don't use a lot of household chemicals.

I buy very few processed foods at all.

I'm gradually going to the squiggle light bulbs. Actually about the only time i turn any lights on in the house anyway, is in the wee hours when I come home, or in the kitchen to cook. My house is tiny so I get plenty of light most of the time that I'm actually here.

The size of my house, and the fact that it's got a lot of extra insulation mean I can keep my AC on without the unit (which is an new, efficient one anyway) running all the time. Sorry My Northern friends, AC is a must here if you have no shade!
    The hearter is a heat pump, also very efficient, and I don't turn the heat over about 65 anyway.

I don't eat much meat of any kind, and probably 85% of what I do use is fish caught by me or non endangered game animals, not farmed.

I have no children.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3072273;
    When my Discovery Home channel changed to Planet Green I was upset at first (no more Holmes on Homes ) but then I discovered Living with Ed, Greensburg, and other shows that I'm enjoying.
    ?
    We have been enjoying watching Greensburg. Well maybe enjoy is not the word for those poor people, but it's been interesting. I am anxious to see how they move forward and rebuild the town. I have to try to catch living with Ed because I like him.

Our electric company sent us a big box of the new florescent light bulbs on Sat. But this is after we've already converted all the bulbs in the house to those anyway. My husband said: "NOW they send them after we've spent the money to already buy them." But I now have some extras for when those burn out in what 5 years? AND the box doubles as a piggy bank. Too cool!!!

And Queenb, I'm with you, the AC is a must at times here. But we are fortunate to have a lot of shade near the house and a programmable thermostat, so it doesn't have to run a whole lot.

Burntbrat, composting done right, doesn't smell. We used a really large plastic tote thingy we already had, poked holes in it and it basically sits next to our patio that we sit on a LOT and we can't smell it, now that it's already started and working well.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-23-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've turned the first-floor AC up to 77 (any warmer and Gustav is reduced to a huffing, panting blob), and I've only run the upstairs AC for about 2 hours this year. I open the windows at night to get whatever free AC nature provides. Cooling the 3rd floor (a large room, no windows, that is basically converted attic space,) has been the problem. I don't mind it up to about 86 when I'm watching TV up there, but 90 when I'm trying to work through my piano practice is a problem. I can push the air around with the fans a bit, but not enough to really cool it. I've got plan C ready to implement if I can scrounge the materials . . .

My "use less than 10 gallons of gas per week" program is going very well. It's been more like 3-4 gallons a week, but I haven't been using the van much at work. I have a wild fantasy that I might even start to get ahead on my gas credit card bill
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3072845;
    I've turned the first-floor AC up to 77 (any warmer and Gustav is reduced to a huffing, panting blob), and I've only run the upstairs AC for about 2 hours this year. I open the windows at night to get whatever free AC nature provides. Cooling the 3rd floor (a large room, no windows, that is basically converted attic space,) has been the problem. I don't mind it up to about 86 when I'm watching TV up there, but 90 when I'm trying to work through my piano practice is a problem. I can push the air around with the fans a bit, but not enough to really cool it. I've got plan C ready to implement if I can scrounge the materials . . .

My "use less than 10 gallons of gas per week" program is going very well. It's been more like 3-4 gallons a week, but I haven't been using the van much at work. I have a wild fantasy that I might even start to get ahead on my gas credit card bill
    You need an attic fan. I grew up in a house that was built in Florida prior to air conditioning. We had this giant attic fan that when turned on and the windows were opened, sucked in fresh air and exhausted the hot attic air out.
    It was kind of loud though and once we finally got air conditioning, we didn't use it all that often anymore.
    But I still wish we had an attic fan because there are days here, I would definetly use it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've begun staying out of the apartment on the really hot days and only turn the A/C on at night to cool the bedroom down so I can sleep. I put ice cubes in the cat's water dish so I can be sure she's staying cool plus I've found that if I leave the bathtub with a little water in it she will go into the tub and then get right out with a little water on her fur.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3072898;
    You need an attic fan. I grew up in a house that was built in Florida prior to air conditioning. We had this giant attic fan that when turned on and the windows were opened, sucked in fresh air and exhausted the hot attic air out.
    It was kind of loud though and once we finally got air conditioning, we didn't use it all that often anymore.
    But I still wish we had an attic fan because there are days here, I would definetly use it.
    I had to laugh at this. We had a lake house with no AC when I was a child. My Dad installed an attic fan and, while it did cool off the house, it also sucked the curtains off of the wall and sounded like a freight train. My mom joked about it and would tell us to go switch on "Hurricane Daddy" when we complained about the heat.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3075285;
    I had to laugh at this. We had a lake house with no AC when I was a child. My Dad installed an attic fan and, while it did cool off the house, it also sucked the curtains off of the wall and sounded like a freight train. My mom joked about it and would tell us to go switch on "Hurricane Daddy" when we complained about the heat.
    We had one of these when I was a kid too. (This was after I was about 8 years old, prior to that we had no AC and no big fans either, and burnt up) Dad would rarely ever let us turn on the AC, so when it got really hot my sister and I would lie on the floor under the fan, if Mom wouldn't let us go play in the creek.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

No AC when I was growing up, just fans that we used to sleep practically on top of. As for the going green, I only turn on the AC if warm/humid weather persists, or when I leave home because I don't like my windows open.

I've changed 99% of my incandescent bulbs to the spiral or a fluorescent flood light for the track and my electric bill only went down $9.00, after I spent 200.00 on these things, and next year or the year after I'll have to replace them because after burning for so many hours, the light output goes down to 50%....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

We recycle paper and plastic and bottles. Very rarely is there something put in the garbage that's not real garbage.

I use the green canvas shopping bags. Not only do they reduce plastic usage, but they're bigger and easier to carry up the stairs.

We've changed some bulbs in the house. I'm stingier with the a/c than my husband is but that's because he works outside all day so at the end of a long, hot day, he wants some a/c.

I have totally changed my driving habits and combine my errands into one big trip, saving a ton of gas, money and TIME.

I took a bunch of items to the recycling center today and then used my canvas bags at the grocery store and only had to use one of their plastic bags (which I will turn around and recycle).

I'd like to get some more canvas bags but want some bigger ones than the standard grocery size. Does anyone know where I can get any?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast