+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone taking care of a parent?

Anyone taking care of a parent?

I know this won't get posted without going thru a moderator first. John suggested I post this here. So, before going into my own situation, I wanted to make sure this could "reside here"

Yes?

If so, I'd like to post what is going on with my situation and others that are, or who have gone through this. I think it could be helpful and perhaps -cathergic

thanks. Jami
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Re: Anyone taking care of a parent?

Jami - Please feel free to share your about your situation!

Before my mother passed away about a year-and-a-half ago, I was her main caretaker for quite some time. Eventually I did have to get a home care nurse to come in twice a day and help out as well, as there were just some things she absolutely refused to let me help her with - like her baths - and she was physically incapable of even getting in and out of bed or around the house. A lot of times I felt so helpless because I knew she needed so much more care than I was qualified to give her, but she was a very private person, and even getting her to accept a home care nurse was an uphill battle that I fought with her for many months before she finally agreed. Taking care of an elderly parent can be really hard - not only physically, but it can also be mentally and emotionally draining as well.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Jami-I looked after my mom from the summer until January when she passed away. It was very hard to watch her go downhill and depend on me for everything when it was always her there for me growing up. To watch my mom suffer so much and not once complain about it and make jokes to me about how I am her mommy now...well....lets just say even though it was hard to look after her at times, I will never regret moving in with her to care for her. Although she is gone and I miss her dearly I am glad that it is one thing I could do for her. She gave me strength to go on just by her actions and words and I wouldn't trade my time with her for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey;2803006;
    Jami - Please feel free to share your about your situation!

Before my mother passed away about a year-and-a-half ago, I was her main caretaker for quite some time. Eventually I did have to get a home care nurse to come in twice a day and help out as well, as there were just some things she absolutely refused to let me help her with - like her baths - and she was physically incapable of even getting in and out of bed or around the house. A lot of times I felt so helpless because I knew she needed so much more care than I was qualified to give her, but she was a very private person, and even getting her to accept a home care nurse was an uphill battle that I fought with her for many months before she finally agreed. Taking care of an elderly parent can be really hard - not only physically, but it can also be mentally and emotionally draining as well.
    chrelsey,
    Thanks, I am sorry I didn't reply sooner. I forgot I started this thread. I am sorry for your loss and I'm sorry for what I think I know somewhat what you went through. It's just ? It sucks the life out of you. I hope your mom is at peace (I do believe in a better place) and I hope you are proud of yourself for stepping up and taking care of your mom. She was (and still is) lucky to have you. Thanks again.

I sound corney but, I believe in angels. She is surely looking over you now.

: )

Quote Originally Posted by shyra;2804810;
    Jami-I looked after my mom from the summer until January when she passed away. It was very hard to watch her go downhill and depend on me for everything when it was always her there for me growing up. To watch my mom suffer so much and not once complain about it and make jokes to me about how I am her mommy now...well....lets just say even though it was hard to look after her at times, I will never regret moving in with her to care for her. Although she is gone and I miss her dearly I am glad that it is one thing I could do for her. She gave me strength to go on just by her actions and words and I wouldn't trade my time with her for anything.
    Hi Shyra,

Okay this post just made me cry.

I hope you are okay and she was lucky to have you.

I am falling apart over my situation.

I better sign off.

I'm glad you posted

Like I said to the other person that posted,
    how blessed your mom was to have you and she is surely in a better place.

I'm pretty much not coping at all now.

I want to go away from all of it.

I can't stand it anymore.

I have to find a support group or something because it's killing me......

I am losing myself or something.

I had a lot of friends and i have cut most of them from my life.

The couple I have left I act as if I have no father. It crazy.

thanks you guys for the messages.

I'm looking for a freaking puppy to get over feeling so bad.

I hate myself for being this weak...

bad week with my dad. thanks again

JamiLee, please do seek support from a group. When others share the same feelings/situations that you do, you feel more like you have people out there to lean on or call. I look at it like AA in the sense that you have people who understand completely what you are doing and how you are feeling and that makes it just a bit easier to cope with. Please try to go to a group as well as go out with friends if you can. Sometimes getting away for one evening can make all the difference in the world. Prayers for you Jami.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread