+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Artists You Like

Re: Artists You Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2798802;
    I have many artists among my favorites and quite a few that I can't stand. Among them are (sorry Miss Kitty) are Andy Warhol and Thomas Kinkade (who I shudder to call an "artist"). I don't like their work visually, but I also hate the fact that they didn't/don't do their own work. It's well know that Warhol often had others in The Factory create the work and Kinkade has a workshop full of people who paint in his style. A friend of mine worked for him for a while. He's a good businessman, but that's about it. Honestly, when I'm at Borders and find a book of his work in the Art section, I move it into Home Decorating. My friends are mortified, but I can 't help myself.
    No offence taken! I only started with Warhol to get things rolling. I know a few people who really like Kinkade but I find his work very repetative.

I will have to look up some of your favorites you listed below. I would have loved Art History. You really must enjoy working in the field!

Miss Kitty - I'm very familiar with Christensen because of his Shakespeare paintings. I actually have the print he did many years ago for the Folger. I met him about ten years ago and he couldn't have been nicer. He's really the only painter I like that does fantasy-type work and I generally am not a fan of those artists who churn out work for the Greenwich Workshop. I hate all that "whales in space" crap. Christensen's large works of huge crowds remind me a bit of Bosch...you know, without the violence and freaks! I always thought his Rhymes and Reasons would be adorable in a nursery.
    You met him?! Lucky you! I'm not familiar with others who do fantasty stuff either. There are a couple of other artists at the Greenwich Workshop I like. But not all by any means. Hmm. Bosch...violence and freaks...must look those up! LOL

Attachment 23439Attachment 23437Attachment 23436Attachment 23438

I like many of Christensens' art because of the humor. The Blind Leading the Blind, Resistence Training, Poofy Guy on a Short Leash and the cat in The Responsible Man. Some of his earlier works would be great in children's rooms too! I would love to see The Lawyer et al... hanging in a real lawyer's office.

*Note* Maybe I could request that everyone post a small pic of who they like, so we can get a quick idea of the work.
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-12-2008 at 05:23 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by homeontherange;2798708;
    misskitty, I love The College of Magical Knowledge!
    I like the little guy who is butterfly fishing off a balcony in that one! I had a chance to get another print at a ridiculously low price, but what would I do with two?

(tried to post photo-- wouldn't let me)
    Also I found A Lawyer et al for a great price, but I don't have a lawyer. And those I used to work for had no sense of humor! LOL

I always think of people to give his prints to as gifts, but I can't afford to be so generous.

I have many artists among my favorites and quite a few that I can't stand. Among them are (sorry Miss Kitty) are Andy Warhol and [B]Thomas Kinkade (who I shudder to call an "artist"). .
    Please, come sit with me. I don't call Thomas Kinkaide an artist, and can't stand any of his stuff. I agree that it's more in the line of home decorating--really tacky and overpriced home decorating, to be hung right next to one of those "really cool" Beverly Doolittle prints.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2798492;
    I'm a big fan of Egon Schiele. Still haven't figured out posting pictures, but a lot of his work is too shocking for here, anyway.
    Along that line I prefer Gustav Klimt, as I love his use of color and the geometrics that contrast with the realistic human forms...

Gustav Klimt, The Virgin, 1913

I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Ooh, art! I haven't properly studied it in years, but I'd like to think I'm an "appreciator" and enjoy trips to museums whenever I can manage it. I've always especially loved Dali, Chagall, and Van Gogh, but here are some (slightly) lesser-known artists I enjoy:

Zdzislaw Beksinski. I couldn't do him justice with a single example, so check out the official website. I think I could decorate my future house entirely with his stuff.

Mackenzie Thorpe:

"The Miracle to Come"

Very whimsical stuff in various media, and he has lots of recurring "characters." I had one of his paintings, "The Love Cat," as my avatar for a long time.

Mick Turner:

"She Has No Strings Apollo"

Also the guitarist for the Dirty Three, there's an unmistakable similarity between his paintings and the band's music. Lots of angels, horses, and kangaroos in slightly surreal and lovely colors.

MRD

I have many artists among my favorites and quite a few that I can't stand. Among them are (sorry Miss Kitty) are Andy Warhol and Thomas Kinkade (who I shudder to call an "artist"). I don't like their work visually, but I also hate the fact that they didn't/don't do their own work. It's well know that Warhol often had others in The Factory create the work and Kinkade has a workshop full of people who paint in his style. A friend of mine worked for him for a while. He's a good businessman, but that's about it. Honestly, when I'm at Borders and find a book of his work in the Art section, I move it into Home Decorating My friends are mortified, but I can 't help myself.
    that's too funny and probably exactly where it belongs. I can't stand Kinkade either. That's not art if you can buy it in someone's living room at a Home Interiors party.

Funny you mention Bosch. While his stuff is kind of disturbing, I do like his work.

We recently went to the Greenville Museum of Art. Naturally they have quite a Jasper Johns collection as he's from around here. Most modern art, I just don't "get". His stuff was nice, nothing for me to write home about though. My daughter and I differ on this, but I just don't appreciate the modern stuff apparantly. I don't know why. I don't have much knowledge about art, but I know what I like.
    They also have a nice Andrew Wyeth collection. I like a lot of Wyeth's stuff although some of it can be kind of depressing.
    I do think I tend to stick more with the old masters and the impressionists.

There is a painter from Florida that does a lot of natural work. He's from the area I grew up in and I am lucky to have gotten 3 of his prints. One he signed to me. I got it several years ago at a fundraiser and he was there.
    His name is Robert Butler. I don't know if it's still like this, but about 25 years ago you could go to the McDonald's in Okeechobee, Florida, and he had done the murals inside.
    I included one of his prints. I don't care for the colors he uses as much in this one. But it was one painted in my "home county" in Florida. It's called Peace River Reflections. I spent a lot of time growing up playing in and around that river, so it has a lot of meaning to me.
    I consider almost all of his other work to be better than this one. But was not able to find the print I have myself.

If you get the chance, look up The Highwaymen Painters in florida. Very interesting story of a group of African-American landscape painters in the 50's and 60's. Most were self taught, sold out the trunks of their cars because they could not get any gallery owners to look at their work. They are HIGHLY collectible in Florida now
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Here's a link to some other Robert Butler Paintings. I just like the subjects because this is the Florida I used to know before it all got paved over and developed.

Robert Butler Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2798092;
    I've always like Dali, but my favorite is Peter Paul Rubens. I have been very fortunate in my life to live in 2 cities with a wonderful Rubens collections.
    mrd, the Toledo Museum of Art has a gorgeous Rubens, "The crowning of St. Catherine". This is a link to a Gallery card for it. The entire picture is not on the card. http://www.toledomuseum.org/PDF/Cath...alleryCard.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2799558;
    Please, come sit with me. I don't call Thomas Kinkaide an artist, and can't stand any of his stuff. I agree that it's more in the line of home decorating--really tacky and overpriced home decorating, to be hung right next to one of those "really cool" Beverly Doolittle prints.
    Oh-Oh. My lack of taste in art is starting to show. I like a few of the Doolittle prints. But I am not fond of indians and rocks. However, I DO like the collaboration of Christensen and Doolittle in this one piece. A Christensen Character Cleverly Disguised...

Attachment 23442 Attachment 23440
    The second is the Lawyer I couldn't show before.
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-12-2008 at 05:23 PM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2799968;
    Oh-Oh. My lack of taste in art is starting to show. I like a few of the Doolittle prints. But I am not fond of indians and rocks. However, I DO like the collaboration of Christensen and Doolittle in this one piece. A Christensen Character Cleverly Disguised...

Attachment 23442 Attachment 23440
    The second is the Lawyer I couldn't show before.
    I like those Christensen prints. I have not seen those before. The lawyer is hilarious.

Hey, art is subjective and none of us are always going to like the same thing.I just see Kinkade everywhere and I really don't like him much. But I like a variety of different artists because their art appeals to me. I may not have taken art history or know much about art, but I know what I like and that's what's important to me.

So while I like Rubens, I also get a kick out of dogs playing poker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast