+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stupid Universal Remotes

Stupid Universal Remotes

Ok, so I've got a VCR which is a piece of crap, but I long ago lost the remote for it.

Normally, that's not a problem because it's on my second TV, and I've got a universal remote for it to play my rented movies.

But, tonight I need to program the VCR to record a show for me. But the VCR has on-screen programming! How do I get the universal remote to kick in the on-screen programming, if I can't do it from the face of the VCR????

Auuuuugh!

I don't know. We have a universal remote for our TV upstairs and if all the buttons are pushed at once (ie someone sits on it) it resets and the damn thing takes half an hour to program again.

John,
    My tv and my vcr are the same brand. I lost the remote to both of them and replaced it with a combo remote of the same brand. It works great. We found the original remotes and use all three depending on which is the closest.

I have 4 remotes in the den, 3 remotes in the living room...And none of them are the same brand or compatible with each other. Isn't that sad? I feel like Ozzy Osbourne sitting down with his new TV remote...

I'm amazed my wife figures it out. She's not at all technology-oriented.

so john, did you get to tape your shows?

Yes. But I had to just hit Record, and leave the TV on the channel I wanted to tape.

So, I watched TAR3, taped West Wing, and taped TAR3 on the other TV, just in case I needed to review it for the interview today.

I am glad that you got to record what you wanted.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

We had a universal remote that worked great, but for some reason my boyfriend didn't like it so we have 6 remote controls on our coffee table full-time now. It's kind of funny actually. He's the one with the remote fetish, but I'm the one who knows all the buttons in the dark.

I keep wondering how long it's going to take him to figure out the difference between the fast forward/reverse and chapter forward/chapter reverse. I can't tell you how many times he has tried to be nice by reversing something for me if I miss a word and he goes back 20 chapters instead of 20 seconds.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

labtech
    At one time we had a remote for the TV, a remote for the satalite, and a remote for the VCR. Now this is not a problem but our oldest son loves to hide the remote that turns the TV on. Everynight after they go to bed we will go to the livingroom to watch TV and couldn't find the remote, so we fixed him! Now we watch the TV in our room and when he comes in and can't find the remote he has to remember where he hid it. Since he has to be the one to find it he is getting better about leaving it laying on the table rather than thinking he is smart and hiding it! He doesn't know that he can't outsmart mom and dad!!! (At least not yet) LOL

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Tivo - you only need one remote!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread