+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the most interesting job you've had?

I was an electrician down in Antarctica during the winter of 91,94, and 95 and ran the expeditionary runway lights and set up the approach lighting so that the planes could land on the Ross Ice Shelf when the sun came up. We didn't see the sun from April 19th to July 19th and the temperature was 40+below zero. And yes, I was out in it for hours at a time working. Also ran and maintained the thermal heat trace system which kept all the water pipes from freezing.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

That is very cool, Ilikai. I wouldn't know the first thing about clothing myself in that sort of weather.

How would Mr. Peabody survive the ice floes? Actually, I don't know what ice floes are. It just sounded good to say.

I guess my employment history isn't all that interesting compared to some of the fascinating jobs I've seen on here (Bill & Ili, for example). But I was employed the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service during the summer of the Exxon Valdez oil spill. The most depressing part of that job was heading down to the beach with the other biologists and recovering dead sea otters and so forth.

I did receive a commendation from the Department of the Interior for service beyond my GS-3 employment level that summer.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

wow, we do have some people on here that had very interesting jobs! i never had a job that would just BLOW people away in all its interestingness (yes, it's a made up word), but i did work as a matchmaker for a dating service.

Certainly this job isn't.

I did work for a private golf course though. It was quite the hoity-toity one and we would hold celebrity charity golf tournaments. I got to meet some celebrities, so that was kind of cool... most of them atheletes, mainly hockey players.

It was pretty cool.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    Hey Umm Bill, I was an ELT (only a Navy nuc would know what that is) for eight of the longest years of my life on board fast attack subs myself. 103 was my longest stretch.

Ahh! A fellow NUC!

Just don't drink the water!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

geez.....none of mine have been close to what you guys are describing. May jobs have brief scarey, fun, exciting, odd moments but then you get handed the 300 forms you need to do in triplicate.

Acutally working in the bakery of a college dorm that feed about 1,000 students was kind of fun. But it puts you off of eating most cakes and pies for life.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Fanatic
    I was DYING to go to Antartica as a research assistant three years ago. Didn't get to go; I'm jealous of Ilikai. So I went to Europe instead to work for an Olympic rider. That was pretty fun, and not as gross and traumatic as public safety, which I did for years. I guess I'm still technically in that field, hmmmm....

My favorite job, which I still do, is SAR dog handler, especially doing avalanche work.

I've had lots of interesting jobs; I'm trying to combine them all into one that has all the great aspects of each. None too easy, especially since I'm picky about where I live. It's tough to find emergency management jobs if you are completely opposed to living on the east coast! Guess I'll have to start my own agency then.

Paulie, I worked on the Exxon Valdez cleanup too; it's possible we've met. I shampooed birds. Very sad.

I was based down in Homer, Jill, part of the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I have not really had any interesting jobs in comparison to youses, but when I worked as an office assistant for the office of residence life one summer, it was really interesting because I was shocked to see how all the residents left their rooms in the summer. Some were still messy. We had to inspect the rooms and charge the students for their irresponsibility. I have also worked as a camp counselor for a deaf camp, and it was really interesting how to communicate in the pure darkness of New Hampshire mountains! I also worked as a special orders clerk at Borders, and the interesting part about that job was seeing what kind of books people would want to order. One book I found totally amazing was a book full of photographs of Japanese homes and apartments, how people really live. Some flats were so crowded and small. Amazing!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast