+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Genealogical Research

Re: Genealogical Research

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Ancestry.com is owned by LDS
    Actually, it is not.
    The Mormon's Family Search Library does offer Ancestry.com on their computers. The libraries also offer ancestry.com on their computers.

Ancestry.com is not affiliated or owned by LDS.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    Actually, it is not.
    The Mormon's Family Search Library does offer Ancestry.com on their computers. The libraries also offer ancestry.com on their computers.

Ancestry.com is not affiliated or owned by LDS.
    You know what, I thought sure they were, but when I did some looking, I couldn't find any link. The people who own Ancestry.com are most likely members of the LDS and the company is based in Provo, but the church itself doesn't own the site.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

I have found a lot of census stuff online going back to 1860. Of course, you need to know the location in order to find the census records. But the census bureau has their records online as well. They go back to before 1860. I just found what I needed in the 1860 census.

The state of Florida has something called The memory project and it has confederate soldier records and WWI service cards online and is searchable by name. I don't know if other states have anything similar. I was able to get a wife name from the confederate records.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Newbie

Hi. Just wanted to throw this in too. I don't know where everyone is researching from but Houston's Clayton Library is huge. I'm not sure where it is ranked but think it is maybe third or fourth in size behind the LDS church.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    One of my relatives took a DNA test for ancestry analysis. The results were not really what I wanted/expected/hoped for. Darn! Does anybody know about these sorts of things? It checked for haplogroups and based on its findings, I would be at least 5% Asian. I take that to be Native American. I suspect that this came from my Grandmother in Missouri. Does anyone know how to research Native American ancestry?

Edit: I have a name of my great great grandmother's father. He was a drifter, I think. Does anyone know where I should begin looking for him? I couldn't find him on family search and his name is not on my great grandmother's birth certificate (another man's was)!

Also, as a tip for some of you, I googled my great grandmother's name and found that someone had written a book about her family's ancestry. It went all the way back to the 1700s in France. It only took one google search to find all of that!
    My son discovered books about both my mother-in-law and father-in-law's families! Unfortunately in German which none of us read, but we have copies for the day we get someone in the family to read them! And they weren't especially famous families...nor were the books written by relatives so far as I know. Weird!

FORT Fogey

Wow! Mocavo is great! It will take me forever to get through it! But it gives me a lot to work with. I am running into name and birth date discrepancies right now! It is difficult to track women through history (because of name changes). Add in the fact that my ancestors were slaves, from Mexico, or Native American and it gets really, really tough. Most of the records left these types of people out of them. Of course I am considering DNA testing because of this. As I have said, a member of the family has had this done already.
    The suggestions I have read here have been really helpful. I stayed up late last night trying to make some connections. I am grateful for the help, guys! Thanks a lot.

I hope they do another series of Who do you think you are...I really think it has araised an awareness in people to do their own gen searches..I know it made me interested..but if they do it again..they should hold some sort of contest and say pick 5 people that they will provide the resources too that they do for the celebreties
    PWS likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    Wow! Mocavo is great! It will take me forever to get through it! But it gives me a lot to work with. I am running into name and birth date discrepancies right now! It is difficult to track women through history (because of name changes). Add in the fact that my ancestors were slaves, from Mexico, or Native American and it gets really, really tough. Most of the records left these types of people out of them. Of course I am considering DNA testing because of this. As I have said, a member of the family has had this done already.
    The suggestions I have read here have been really helpful. I stayed up late last night trying to make some connections. I am grateful for the help, guys! Thanks a lot.
    I'm glad you're having some success! Genealogical research can be really fun and rewarding, but it can also be incredibly frustrating!

ITA about Mocavo. It's really great, but there's SO much information to get through. It did lead me to some new info last night. I found listings on findagrave, which then took me to the actual internment listings for the cemetery that had been scanned and uploaded by the State of Illinois. Now that I have death dates on those specific people - as well as a location - I can order death certificates, which might have info about the next generation back.

psucashcow - I forgot to tell you how cool it is that you volunteer for findagrave! I'm sure that so many people are grateful for your help!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I found another cook genealogy site and wanted to share. I found https://www.familysearch.org/ while researching a friend's family tree and now can't wait to use it for my own family tree!

They have a good bit of info that Ancestry doesn't seem to have, although some overlap too, like census records. The good thing is that they're free. I got information off of several death certificates last night that took me back an additional generation. This is not a copy of the actual birth certificate, but the transcribed information. It seems that you do have to have more information when searching, but it's a god tool to have. I think maybe their search function is just not quite as intuitive as the one on Ancestry.com. This site, BTW, is owned by LDS.

They're still working on indexing probably millions of documents, but there's a lot on there already

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I found another cook genealogy site and wanted to share. I found https://www.familysearch.org/ while researching a friend's family tree and now can't wait to use it for my own family tree!

They have a good bit of info that Ancestry doesn't seem to have, although some overlap too, like census records. The good thing is that they're free. I got information off of several death certificates last night that took me back an additional generation. This is not a copy of the actual birth certificate, but the transcribed information. It seems that you do have to have more information when searching, but it's a god tool to have. I think maybe their search function is just not quite as intuitive as the one on Ancestry.com. This site, BTW, is owned by LDS.

They're still working on indexing probably millions of documents, but there's a lot on there already
    This is the primary site that I use. They do have actual copies of some of the census data online. A huge warning when using this site: There are often huge errors in their transcriptions. Obviously, they do the best they can but they make a lot of mistakes. When looking for someone named "ling," I found the data listed as "kmng." It was a typo. Also, they often confuse the letter "T" with "G" and that makes searching for obscure last names difficult. Try and make use of the * search feature. If you are looking for someone whose last name is Washington and you cannot find them, try searching "*ashington" or "Washing*."

+ Reply to Thread