+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Genealogical Research

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Re: Genealogical Research

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3859526;
    Thanks, Gut The thing that seems to have changed the most is that Ancestry.com has taken over! The version of Family Tree Maker that I have was still made by Broderbund and now I think Ancestry.com is the maker. They were just a small site when I was doing research before and, to get information, you either had to travel or order microfilms OR there were people online who would look things up for you. Now it's like it's all in one place. I HOPE that means I'll have some breakthroughs where I'd just been running into roadblocks before.
    Critical, I'll throw this suggestion out to you. There is a free genealogy program you can download call Brother's Keeper. While I do have an updated Family Tree Maker program, I no longer use it ...just my Brother's Keeper program. Its a matter of preference as some people like one over the other for different reason. Here's the website:

Brother's Keeper genealogy software

There is an option to purchase a registered version but I have never needed it. If I want a certain report from it that requires a registration code, the program tells you how to do it without the registered version.

You're correct in that most avenues online lead back to Ancestry.com. Although it was really helpful to me when I was starting out, you have to pay so many different fees to use the different sections, it is really cost-prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by homeontherange;3863254;
    Critical, I'll throw this suggestion out to you. There is a free genealogy program you can download call Brother's Keeper. While I do have an updated Family Tree Maker program, I no longer use it ...just my Brother's Keeper program. Its a matter of preference as some people like one over the other for different reason. Here's the website:

Brother's Keeper genealogy software

There is an option to purchase a registered version but I have never needed it. If I want a certain report from it that requires a registration code, the program tells you how to do it without the registered version.

You're correct in that most avenues online lead back to Ancestry.com. Although it was really helpful to me when I was starting out, you have to pay so many different fees to use the different sections, it is really cost-prohibitive.
    Thanks for the link I'll definitely check it out. Those programs really are about personal preference. I have Ancestral Quest, which is the LDS genealogy program, but I'm not wild about it. It would do in a pinch.

You're right that the fees for Ancestry.com can be prohibitive. I love how they start out with $12.95/mo and in small print explain that this is the monthly amount if you pay for 12 months in one payment. I figure I could just use the heck out of it for one month. The local LDS Family History Center offers free access to Ancestry.com, so I can always go there if I need something too.

When I started doing research online, the big site was US GenWeb, which doesn't have nearly as big a presence now. As soon as Ancestry.com got the census records, they sort of took over.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3860267;
    We have a really good center for free by here to get copies of immigration records and work records for people mostly from this area.

I worked on/off on the family tree. My mom's side is really detailed because I had a cousin trying to join the DAR and she had to establish all that stuff to do it. My dad's side is a hot mess. We get back to his grandparents and their immigration stuff which is cool on his dad's side. On his mom's side it's just a giant mess. She born on a reservation in Iowa apparently. We have a family photo from that side of the family which everyone looks Native American in it. There were also orphan trains going through that area as well so it's kind of anyone's guess what is going on there. Anytime she was asked about her childhood and family history she broke down into hysterics and wouldn't talk about it. So on her side we only get back to her alleged parents.
    I imagine you know this already, but one of the sad things that happened back when to many Native American children was being taken from their homes and send away to schools where they were forbidden to speak their language, practice any rituals, etc., and in some cases were also sent basically as servants to white families' homes. The kind of thing that might provoke that kind of response.... Just a thought.
    Thanks to all who posted on here so far. When I'm retired next year this is one of my planned "projects". I have a cousin on my dad's side who's done a good job for that, and on my mom's I have some info already back to my great great grandfather, but would like to take it further.
    Last edited by PWS; 03-27-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Hi, I've recently discovered the Irish census from 1912. It's free online. I've found my own family from my Dad's side, but my Mum's is a bit mote complicated. It's sad to see mental asylums with people only known by initials. Just google Irish census 1912 and you should find it. If you North Americans have Irish ancestors in Ireland on that date, it could be invaluable to you.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Belfastgirl, that's fantastic!!! I don't have any Irish background but thought I'd try searching for the link. I searched the surnames of a few Irish friends that I have. Of course I have no idea who these people are, but I'm going to share this link with my friends. There is a ton of information!

I'm trying to do a family tree for my stepmom.
    Her parents are from Poland and Hungary.
    I tried using Ancestry.com and i found it useless and way too expensive.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction?
    Thanks
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I'm trying to do a family tree for my stepmom.
    Her parents are from Poland and Hungary.
    I tried using Ancestry.com and i found it useless and way too expensive.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction?
    Thanks
    How far have you gotten in your search? Ancestery.com was not that useful to me and I got much more information from the local (free) research/records place. Basically a little thing in a regional museum (kind of) place where they at that time had gobs of microfiche, books with pictures of boats and so on and so forth.

It couldn't get us into the records for Europe but I did get more records on the immigration and naturalization to the country for those relatives than I could find on ancestry now.

Also bonus was having access to the news papers on microfiche for records of marriage and death of various relatives. For my grandma I started fishing around in BIA rolls and info from boarding schools etc. Still no leads there but it happens.

I know my mom's cousin was really into the daughter's of american revolution thing and used all sorts of non-ancestry.com things to put together her proofs for that. Only after did she go to the extended wings of the family via the website. But I know she spent a lot of time in collections of microfiche.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    How far have you gotten in your search? Ancestery.com was not that useful to me and I got much more information from the local (free) research/records place. Basically a little thing in a regional museum (kind of) place where they at that time had gobs of microfiche, books with pictures of boats and so on and so forth.

It couldn't get us into the records for Europe but I did get more records on the immigration and naturalization to the country for those relatives than I could find on ancestry now.

Also bonus was having access to the news papers on microfiche for records of marriage and death of various relatives. For my grandma I started fishing around in BIA rolls and info from boarding schools etc. Still no leads there but it happens.

I know my mom's cousin was really into the daughter's of american revolution thing and used all sorts of non-ancestry.com things to put together her proofs for that. Only after did she go to the extended wings of the family via the website. But I know she spent a lot of time in collections of microfiche.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Ancestry.com did absolutely zilch for me.
    They don't even have a record for my stepmom and she was born in this country.
    I am going to try library tomorrow and see if they come up with data.

Any LDS family history center is probably going to be better for you than Ancestry.com. I think your problem will be that you will be searching for records that aren't in English and I think Ancestry.com focuses mostly on American records. They do have world info, but that's a more pricey subscription. My most recent immigrants are from Poland in the 1870's and it's been next to impossible because I don't speak Polish.

Your best bet (outside of the physical library) is to Google like crazy. There are lots of genealogical research sites out there and one of them might be helpful.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks much.

Everytime I google I seem to get nothing but Ancestry, though.
    And that's giving me nothing even for those born in US.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast