+ Reply to Thread

Thread: April Fools Trivia

April Fools Trivia

I received this in my email, so I have no idea if it is correct or not, but it sounded credible to me.....

A bit of French trivia...
    Today is April Fools Day...
    In sixteenth-century France, the start of the new year was observed on April 1st. It was celebrated in much the same way as it is today with parties and dancing. Then in 1562, Pope Gregory introduced a new calendar for the Christian world, and the new year fell on January 1st. There were some people, however, who hadn't heard of or didn't believe the change in the date, so they continued to celebrate New Year's Day on April 1st. Others played tricks on them and called them "April fools." They sent them on a "fool's errand" or tried to make them believe that something false was true. In France today, April first is called "Poisson d' Avril." French children fool their friends by taping a paper fish to their friends' backs. When the "young fool" discovers this trick, the prankster yells, "Poisson d"Avril!" (April Fish!)
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Re: April Fools Trivia

Originally posted by cali
    A bit of French trivia...French children fool their friends by taping a paper fish to their friends' backs. When the "young fool" discovers this trick, the prankster yells, "Poisson d"Avril!" (April Fish!)
    Interesting post, cali, which prompts a few reactions from me.

#1: This is the best practical joke these people can come up with?! It's been said before, but I'll say it again: "Remember the French think Jerry Lewis is a comic genius." I mean, flaming bag of dog poo on your front porch--now that's comedy, baby!

#2: This kind of thing would never fly in the U.S. If someone were to run around taping things to people's backs and yell something in French at them and laugh, he or she better be prepared to be sitting on their ass three feet away, holding their teeth, with no memory of how they got down there.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

#2: This kind of thing would never fly in the U.S. If someone were to run around taping things to people's backs and yell something in French at them and laugh, he or she better be prepared to be sitting on their ass three feet away, holding their teeth, with no memory of how they got down there.

Phat. Just
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

+ Reply to Thread