+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 168

Thread: I hate my body!!

  1. #71
    FORT Regular Arnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    117

    Re: I hate my body!!

    Hi all,

    I agree with the sentiment of dressing age appropriate. When I'm shopping with my adult daughter, there might be a few times I'll see something that I think is cute and she will give me the "no, mom, too young for you" look. And she's always right!

    I don't have a problem with jeans fitting in one area and not another. My biggest issue are that all jeans in my size do not fit the same. I wish sizes were more standard between similar styles of jeans.
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." ~Theodore Roosevelt~

  2. #72
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: I hate my body!!

    I would be willing to bet that each and every one of you would hate the way I dress . I've never been partial to conservative clothing, and I don't appear to be getting any more partial as the years go by, though I am no fonder of tart-wear. But you will be pleased to know that there are no sparkles, no cropped anything, no spaghetti straps. I do, however, wear a tank top with a built in shelf bra. I wouldn't go sleeveless for years, but at a certain point I realized that I was no longer visible to young people and it was stinkin' hot and so the sleeves were coming off, dammit. No shorts, though. A loose rayon or cotton skirt with the tank suits me fine.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  3. #73
    26.2, baby! Allie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Washington state
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,679

    Re: I hate my body!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2747765;
    I would be willing to bet that each and every one of you would hate the way I dress . I've never been partial to conservative clothing, and I don't appear to be getting any more partial as the years go by, though I am no fonder of tart-wear. But you will be pleased to know that there are no sparkles, no cropped anything, no spaghetti straps. I do, however, wear a tank top with a built in shelf bra. I wouldn't go sleeveless for years, but at a certain point I realized that I was no longer visible to young people and it was stinkin' hot and so the sleeves were coming off, dammit. No shorts, though. A loose rayon or cotton skirt with the tank suits me fine.
    While I am not crazy about my arms, I'll wear tank tops when it is really really hot. Heck, when I go running I have spandex running pants. I try very hard to dress my age (almost 42), but it is hard to find smaller sizes that are adult and not teenie bopper. No one should see my "racing stripes" as my hubby calls them. I think just about everyone has body image problems. I would prefer not ever looking at myself below the waist.

    I wish I needed built-in bras! (jk)

    I bet if we looked at each other and listened to the list of "uglies" we would laugh and ask what they were talking about.

  4. #74
    Premium Member burntbrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,307

    Re: I hate my body!!

    I'm with all of you guys who hate the low-rise jean trend. I can't find jeans that fit me anymore and that I'm comfortable in. Either they're too high-waisted and I feel like a 70's granny or they're so low I'm showing plumbers crack when I crouch. It doesn't help that I have a Kim Kardashian butt without the rest of her body. My butt is insanely big. Damn my older metabolism (or beer, but I'll blame age instead of Budweiser today).
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

  5. #75
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,776

    Re: I hate my body!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2747765;
    I would be willing to bet that each and every one of you would hate the way I dress . I've never been partial to conservative clothing, and I don't appear to be getting any more partial as the years go by, though I am no fonder of tart-wear. .
    I'd be willing to bet you are wrong, at least ONE of us here isn't into the soccer mom/ business woman/ upscale wife look either, even though she is pushing 50!

    As to the jeans issue; I prefer mine not real low cut, but NOT up to my waist. Belly button height is usually best.

    Another gripe about the bigger size clothing--well, two.
    1) why do they assume your waist and tummy are a mile bigger than your boobage? There should at least be a 'little' indication that you have a somewhat smaller area in your middle.
    2) Why do so many makers of big clothes keep making the sleeves and legs longer in proportion to the size, no matter how big the size is? It's not like most women who wear size 20 are 6 foot 6! And they are even longer as the sizes go up
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  6. #76
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: I hate my body!!

    I don't think I have any one style. I have different "looks" depending on my mood. (mostly the flannel pajama/fuzzy slipper look.)

    I can look like a soccer mom (not often, but I do occasionally have need to dress like that), but then again, I can look like a "hippie" and of course, there is my "coon hunting look" (that would be raccoon hunting which I actually don't hunt at all) with my boots, jeans and camoflauge jacket. That's what my daughter calls that outfit.

    And in the category of dressing for your age, I have a pair of plaid converse high tops that I adore, but are probably not appropriate for a 45 year old woman. My family hates them, but I actually made a good friend wearing them because she commented on them, we got to talking and are now friends. I call them my "I don't give a crap shoes" because when I wear them, I honestly don't give a damn what anyone thinks.

    I think I dress depending on where I'm going and what I feel like. I just don't fit any one category.

    I'm the chameleon of clothing styles.

    And I agree with Queenb, the arms and legs on plus size clothes are made for giants. I have a sweater that the arms could almost drag the ground. I have to roll them up a bit of push it up on my forearms. But I love the sweater, so I put up with the mile long arms.

    And Rattus, apparantly we have similar styles in at least one area of clothes and you know why. So I highly doubt I would hate how you look because apparantly I look like that too.

    My problem now is that with the weight loss I have had, my legs got skinny and my butt disappeared (I have NEVER not had a butt before, its weird), but I still have a gut, so finding pants that don't sag in the rear or on the thighs, but that fasten around the middle has been hard. And my upper arms are HUGE, so I do tend to be a tad self conscious about that and don't go sleeveless. Other than that, I normally don't worry about how I look. Interestingly enough, I will wear a bathing suit and not worry about my arms, but I won't wear sleeveless tops. Go figure.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  7. #77
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: I hate my body!!

    Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2748346;
    2) Why do so many makers of big clothes keep making the sleeves and legs longer in proportion to the size, no matter how big the size is? It's not like most women who wear size 20 are 6 foot 6! And they are even longer as the sizes go up
    This has seriously bugged me for years, and because I sew I think I finally figured out why this is the case. When they enlarge the pattern, the enlarge the whole pattern, not making allowances for the fact even though your hips have doubled in size, your neck actually hasn't, and your arms haven't grown six inches and your shoulders haven't broadened to the width of a linebacker's. I've got to assume that the patterns for higher end clothing are adapted appropriately, but I doubt I'll ever find out.

    Thanks thanks, queenb and mrd, for getting on the I'll-dress-the-way-I-damn-well-please train with me . While I've never felt self-conscious wearing a skull&crossbones t-shirt at the age of almost 50, I do feel a little lighter at heart knowing I'm not alone in the world.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  8. #78
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: I hate my body!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2748389;
    This has seriously bugged me for years, and because I sew I think I finally figured out why this is the case. When they enlarge the pattern, the enlarge the whole pattern, not making allowances for the fact even though your hips have doubled in size, your neck actually hasn't, and your arms haven't grown six inches and your shoulders haven't broadened to the width of a linebacker's. I've got to assume that the patterns for higher end clothing are adapted appropriately, but I doubt I'll ever find out.

    Thanks thanks, queenb and mrd, for getting on the I'll-dress-the-way-I-damn-well-please train with me . While I've never felt self-conscious wearing a skull&crossbones t-shirt at the age of almost 50, I do feel a little lighter at heart knowing I'm not alone in the world.

    You should see some of the looks I get here in Ultraconservative South Carolina when I have on my Grateful dead skeleton T-shirt and my plaid converses and my beat up cowboy hat with the U of F pins in it and my hair braided down my back. And hubby gets a LOT of looks in his Bob Marley T-shirt that I brought him from San Francisco too.

    I also wear a lot of black, which is stupid because it's always covered in white dog hair no matter how much I use the lint roller on it.
    But when I wear black, I will wear RED lipstick which my daughter says is a sign I am getting old. (my mom only bought red lipstick. She wore it with EVERYTHING. )

    And that makes sense about the patterns, because I used to sew my own PJ pants and the legs on the patterns were always about 2 miles long.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  9. #79
    Team DAN schmoo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    3,182

    Re: I hate my body!!

    guess I'm one of the IDTWIDWP women, at 52. I work from home, and don't get out that often - so don't really need to.
    I did get a couple nicer pant outfits this year -
    but actually, very seldom will you see me in anything but jeans/jogging pants (no, I don't jog, but that drawstring waist sometimes feels better.
    tops - very few DON'T have some kind of motorcycle store name stamped on them someplace. so, t-shirts or tanks are pretty much it for me anymore. It just seems like we have to pick them up as souveniers and they have completely taken over my drawer and closet space - so why bother getting much else.

    *these days, footwear consists of fuzzy slippers - in and out. or barefoot as soon as possible. as soon as I can get some new shoes - they will not be the styles I am used to getting for sure.

  10. #80
    That's all folks! Unklescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    26,558

    Re: I hate my body!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2748389;
    pattern, not making allowances for the fact even though your hips have doubled in size, your neck actually hasn't,
    Time for a guy to chip in his 2¢ worth. Before I lost weight I was in to a size 18½ shirt to get around my stomach. My neck size was probably only a 16½. Since I was wearing ties to work everyday it looked rather dumb with that loose fitting collar.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.