+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate my body!!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I LOVE my body...and here's why...

This thread actually makes me said, because I'm sure the woman who started it is lovely (on the inside and out). And I hate that we live in a world where people who are 10 pounds over their ideal weight are considered "fat."

Not to be completely obsessed or morbid, but my father passed away due to complications from Parkinson's. He had always been an extremely active and fit man, who was always fixing or building things, taking nature walks, hiking etc. Near the tail end of the disease that took his life, he couldn't walk, sit up by himself, get out of bed or any of the things we take for granted...At the end, he could barely move his head...but tears could roll freely from his eyes so that we could see his sadness and despair.

When I was in high school, I saw a thing in health class. It was about a woman who had been born with no arms, and she grew up COMPLETELY independent. She learned to do things with her feet instead...even drive. I'm sure she had crappy days where she hated the world, but I'm guessing she loved her body because even though it wasn't "normal," it still was enabling her to live a good life.

I actually LOVE my body. Not because it looks so great. It looks OK for a middle aged woman--which is what I am. But I am healthy, all the parts work and it allows me to lead an active lifestyle that makes me happy. Who cares if there's cellulite that didn't used to be there? If anyone's looking that closely at my thighs, then they deserve to see it! (And not for nothing, but I remember reading an interview with Jamie King--an actress who started modeling at 16--when she was a teenager and she was complaining about having cellulite...)

When I was a teenager and in my twenties, I never thought I looked good enough. In retrospect, I looked plenty good and wasted all that time worrying about something that didn't really matter. It wasn't until my 30's when I started to LIKE myself more that I realized that people were saying how attractive I was--even though physically I had looked better at 18 or even 28.

We have one life on earth, and it's too short to waste on hating ourselves. I know I should exercise more and eat better sometimes. But in general, I try to take good care of a body that has gotten me through some amazing (and depressing) times in my 40 years...

I don't mean to sound all Pollyannaish...and I'm not looking down on anyone's post here. It's just that a lot of us (myself included) don't appreciate what we have until it's gone...

And FYI...I love yoga! It can be an intense workout, but I always leave feeling wonderful and at peace...

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my beautitful FoRT friends!!!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 12-31-2007 at 09:58 AM.

MRD

Re: I LOVE my body...and here's why...

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2737592;
    This thread actually makes me said, because I'm sure the woman who started it is lovely (on the inside and out). And I hate that we live in a world where people who are 10 pounds over their ideal weight are considered "fat."

Not to be completely obsessed or morbid, but my father passed away due to complications from Parkinson's. He had always been an extremely active and fit man, who was always fixing or building things, taking nature walks, hiking etc. Near the tail end of the disease that took his life, he couldn't walk, sit up by himself, get out of bed or any of the things we take for granted...At the end, he could barely move his head...but tears could roll freely from his eyes so that we could see his sadness and despair.

When I was in high school, I saw a thing in health class. It was about a woman who had been born with no arms, and she grew up COMPLETELY independent. She learned to do things with her feet instead...even drive. I'm sure she had crappy days where she hated the world, but I'm guessing she loved her body because even though it wasn't "normal," it still was enabling her to live a good life.

I actually LOVE my body. Not because it looks so great. It looks OK for a middle aged woman--which is what I am. But I am healthy, all the parts work and it allows me to lead an active lifestyle that makes me happy. Who cares if there's cellulite that didn't used to be there? If anyone's looking that closely at my thighs, then they deserve to see it! (And not for nothing, but I remember reading an interview with Jamie King--an actress who started modeling at 16--when she was a teenager and she was complaining about having cellulite...)

When I was a teenager and in my twenties, I never thought I looked good enough. In retrospect, I looked plenty good and wasted all that time worrying about something that didn't really matter. It wasn't until my 30's when I started to LIKE myself more that I realized that people were saying how attractive I was--even though physically I had looked better at 18 or even 28.

We have one life on earth, and it's too short to waste on hating ourselves. I know I should exercise more and eat better sometimes. But in general, I try to take good care of a body that has gotten me through some amazing (and depressing) times in my 40 years...

I don't mean to sound all Pollyannaish...and I'm not looking down on anyone's post here. It's just that a lot of us (myself included) don't appreciate what we have until it's gone...

And FYI...I love yoga! It can be an intense workout, but I always leave feeling wonderful and at peace...

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my beautitful FoRT friends!!!

GREAT post Lois. I totally agree. I just posted something in New Year's resolutions that is similar in thought that someone sent to me yesterday.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: I hate my body!!

I have to say, I don't really understand such a focus on the body, either one's own or another person's. I am currently a yuuuuuuge woman, who was built like Marilyn Monroe (a literal 36-22-36) in my teenage years. At neither time have I based my opinion of myself on my body, though others may have. I'm making a concerted effort to lose weight, not because how others view me, but for the practical reasons of not wanting to make my own clothes any more (hate, hate, hate sewing) and wanting to go to the theatre comfortable in the knowledge that my ass will fit between the arm rests.

Anyone who does hate their own body should give some serious thought as to why. Does it get you around from place to place? Does it do what you want it to do (most of the time, anyway)? Can you get some sort of covering over it? Do you have fun? Does someone love you? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you really should cut your body some slack. If your reason for hating your body has more to do with what others think or say, then you should give some serious thought about why the opinions and comments of those who judge other people based on appearance matter to you at all.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2737692;
    I have to say, I don't really understand such a focus on the body, either one's own or another person's. I am currently a yuuuuuuge woman, who was built like Marilyn Monroe (a literal 36-22-36) in my teenage years. At neither time have I based my opinion of myself on my body, though others may have. I'm making a concerted effort to lose weight, not because how others view me, but for the practical reasons of not wanting to make my own clothes any more (hate, hate, hate sewing) and wanting to go to the theatre comfortable in the knowledge that my ass will fit between the arm rests.

Anyone who does hate their own body should give some serious thought as to why. Does it get you around from place to place? Does it do what you want it to do (most of the time, anyway)? Can you get some sort of covering over it? Do you have fun? Does someone love you? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you really should cut your body some slack. If your reason for hating your body has more to do with what others think or say, then you should give some serious thought about why the opinions and comments of those who judge other people based on appearance matter to you at all.

I can't believe how long it took me to realize that people that judged me on what my body looked like were not worth knowing in the first place.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2737692;

Amen to every word of that! I seriously hate the fact that women feel the need to dissect their body and it's parts and state what's good or bad about it.

FORT Regular

Hey worldscrashing , I just heard about “How To Look Good Naked" a new show on Lifetime, and I heard about it because my friend thought it is something I should really be tuning in to watch. After I gave birth, I went from feeling like a glowing princess to an exhausted slug and she said this show is all about improving how you feel about yourself just as you are. Might be worth checking out.

Lifetime is seriously going to suck me in… there are almost no other channels that have shows I look forward to. But this Friday “How To Look Good Naked” premiers at 9pm, baby!! I can’t wait!

FORT Newbie

Haha, I am so pumped… apparently there is a way to get my husband to watch Lifetime after all these years… just showcase naked women!

I totally understand the feeling. Even when my weight dipped below 100 a few years back (at about 5'6), I still thought my bottom was too big, and still wore mainly extremely conservative swimsuits, swimdresses and such. I've never been really happy with my body-- though certain parts I'm ok with, and I appreciate the fact that I NEED it of course, lol. I try to appreciate what I have, but it can be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2713865;
    Here's something I've noticed... When I was a teenager and in my 20's and had a totally fit, svelte body, I was scared to wear a bikini. Then in my 30's, I just realized, "Who cares?" I wasn't as thin or toned as when I was younger, but all I wear now is bikinis...and you know what, they look pretty good on me!

Unless you're morbidly obese and need to lose weight for health reasons, I say rock the body that you have and don't worry about having gained a pound or two at Christmas. The best thing about being on vacation is that you don't know anyone--it's not like your boss is going to see you in a bikini!

Also, I've found that just staying active is the best way to have a nice body. Good luck! And don't be mad at your body. I'm sure it's adorable!
    Hey LL are you sure you're not Jenifer Love Hewitt?

+ Reply to Thread