+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: I hate my body!!

Re: I hate my body!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3048892;
    misskitty, I have heard that Dr. B is effective, but I looked into it and decided against. There are regular shots involved (vitamin B, maybe?) and a severely restricted diet. One of my bosses is still going for regular shots five years after starting with Dr. B. My own personal experience with severe caloric restriction is that the weight returns three-fold once you start eating normally. As everyone else has determined, a healthy eating lifestyle in conjunction with exercise is far and away the best method of losing weight.

I agree with the bolded part. I tried to click on the link that misskitty provided for the Dr. B diet, but it didn't work for me. But if it requires severe caloric restriction as you say, I would hesitate to follow a diet like that. Food is fuel and if we drastically cut our intake, our bodies go into starvation mode. I'm also hesitant about a diet that promises huge weight loss in a short amount of time. That's not healthy. These are my opinions, of course!
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." ~Theodore Roosevelt~

So, I took the plunge and signed up to Dr. Bernstein. Meowza...strict is right. But, I didn't have bad eating habits before so it's not that hard.

The injections are a combination of B6 and B12 shots. I must take a multi-vitamin and a calcium/potassium replacement pill as well every day. They also do bloodwork and can work with people with high blood pressure or diabetes. The plan basically is that you eat two equal portions of each of the following: fruit, vegetables, protein, and carb. But only from the allowed list. You have several drink options and can only have one cup of caffeinated coffee per day. Decaf if fine. Diet drinks with aspertame are fine. It's kinda odd at at times. For instance, I can have strawberries, but not blueberries. Peaches are ok, but not nectarines. That kind of thing. There is a maintenance program where you can still continue to get one shot a week, and add various foods into your plan. Then they monitor whether it adds weight on quickly for you or not.

So I've lost some weight, but it's going slower than for some people. And I'm not cheating. I've gone off one medication that was adding on weight, with the approval of my regular Dr. I'm keeping as active as I can, but with this program, the nursing staff even mentioned today, that exercise is not required for this to work. I'm still mowing the lawn, walking around shopping, and trying to get my heart rate up for about 20 min. a day. I was so exhausted yesterday, I couldn't get out of bed until 11:30am! I'm determined to follow this to the letter because it is guaranteed for at least 10 pounds/month. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by misskitty; 06-25-2008 at 07:13 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Good luck. I hope it works well for you.

I give myself B-12 injections and take supplements too. I have too because of the nature of the bypass surgery makes it harder for me to absorb enough vitamins and minerals internally.

Keep us posted on your successes.
    You go!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I found an age spot on my hand last night. I really got angry and then stopped..... I am in the sun alot and duh me for not putting sunblock on my hands all the time. I guess I didn't expect to see the age spots until I actually felt old (I'm going to be 35 this year and that's not old!).
    Yup, with donuts!!

myrosiedog: I used to give myself B12 injections daily in my thighs. I was seeing a naturopath at the time. I take liquid iron as well. If you are having trouble absorbing vitamins, make sure that your potassium level is good. It's moreimportant than I thought.

buglover: Don't you know you're supposed to use sunscreen at all times? I know, it's a pain to do. There are a few creams out there that can lighten age spots. I don't remember the name though. Maybe someone else can remember the name? I'm lucky. I don't have age spots yet, but I do have mosquito bites, and kitty scratches, punctures and scars.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3082016;
    myrosiedog: I used to give myself B12 injections daily in my thighs. I was seeing a naturopath at the time. I take liquid iron as well. If you are having trouble absorbing vitamins, make sure that your potassium level is good. It's moreimportant than I thought.

buglover: Don't you know you're supposed to use sunscreen at all times? I know, it's a pain to do. There are a few creams out there that can lighten age spots. I don't remember the name though. Maybe someone else can remember the name? I'm lucky. I don't have age spots yet, but I do have mosquito bites, and kitty scratches, punctures and scars.
    Thanks Miss Kitty. I get regular bloodwork to check all of that because they know I have malabsorption. I also take a prescription potassium supplement.

I give my B-12 in my thigh. It's the easiest place for me to reach. My dr. says I should use my stomach, but that kind of makes me nervous.

I got my first age spot this year. I guess it was inevitable!

Well it is nice to hear I'm not the only one who magically got an age spot! I do use sunscreen daily, just not on my hands because I wash them so often. I'm thinking I'll need to keep a bottle in the car to put on before driving. Sigh......... age...... it's a little depressing!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I don't actually hate my body. My calves are becoming a point of frustration, though. I've been wanting a new pair of leather or suede boots because my two pairs of calf-high boots don't fit particularly well and they're pretty old anyway. So I went to Bloomingdales to look for a new pair. I tried on about six pairs. One pair fit fine in the leg, but my feet were sliding all over the place inside the boot. The other five? Couldn't get close to zipping them up. Just once, I'd love to be able to get a pair of boots in my shoe size that fit my feet and my legs without weird gaps or sagging.

I also tried googling "boots for bigger calves" to try and get an idea of which brands were cut for people that don't have pencils for legs. The results? Boots for plus sizes. My clothes are a size six and my feet are 7 1/2, so I don't think I qualify there. I'm not sure what else I need to try here... boots for short, somewhat athletic people? Boots for calves with muscle? Boots for the middle ground?

And of course, the search continues.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3226616;
    I don't actually hate my body. My calves are becoming a point of frustration, though. I've been wanting a new pair of leather or suede boots because my two pairs of calf-high boots don't fit particularly well and they're pretty old anyway. So I went to Bloomingdales to look for a new pair. I tried on about six pairs. One pair fit fine in the leg, but my feet were sliding all over the place inside the boot. The other five? Couldn't get close to zipping them up. Just once, I'd love to be able to get a pair of boots in my shoe size that fit my feet and my legs without weird gaps or sagging.

I also tried googling "boots for bigger calves" to try and get an idea of which brands were cut for people that don't have pencils for legs. The results? Boots for plus sizes. My clothes are a size six and my feet are 7 1/2, so I don't think I qualify there. I'm not sure what else I need to try here... boots for short, somewhat athletic people? Boots for calves with muscle? Boots for the middle ground?

And of course, the search continues.
    My daughter had the same problem and did very well with the boots for plus sizes. They had the boots in her shoe size (8), but the tops near the calves where cut a little more generously so they fit better.

Your clothing size has nothing to do with it. There are many women who need a boot with a larger calf area. Unfortunately those boots fall under the "plus" size label, but really aren't exactly "plus" size.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3226628;
    My daughter had the same problem and did very well with the boots for plus sizes. They had the boots in her shoe size (8), but the tops near the calves where cut a little more generously so they fit better.

Your clothing size has nothing to do with it. There are many women who need a boot with a larger calf area. Unfortunately those boots fall under the "plus" size label, but really aren't exactly "plus" size.
    thanks mrd! I needed this info too. missyboxers - I could have written your post - I wear a size 4-1/2 to fit, 5's because that the lowest most stores go to. I bought some boots size 5-1/2 from Cinderella's of Boston (specializes in smaller sizes) and the boots fit except I can't zip them up! So frustrating - I've always had bigger calves and they are about 1 inch difference in size of each other which makes it even harder.

+ Reply to Thread