+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: I hate my body!!

Re: I hate my body!!

A co-worker of mine is planning on trying the Dr. Bernstein diet after hearing positive things about it from other people. That's not much help, I know.

The thing about diet plans is this - they all work. I came to this startling insight after going on one for the first time in my life last year (I used L.A. Weight Loss). A long story short - I suddenly realized I was over 50 pounds heavier than I was in 1998, when I found out I was pregnant with my first child. I followed LA's plan to the letter, and was very successful - I surpassed my goal weight and am able to fit into most of my old clothes from 10 years ago. My success wasn't due to LA's magical weight loss formula (I also re-started my old exercise regimen). It's because I changed my eating habits back to healthy ones and got up off the couch.

Basically - if you want to follow a weight-loss program, any one of them will do if you embrace the idea of changing your lifestyle. Jenny Craig is very expensive as you have to buy their food, but I know a woman who lost 70 lbs on it and has maintained her weight loss for over a year now while discontinuing use of their products. I know others who have had a lot of success with Weight Watchers. From my own observations - people who complain that programs "don't work" are the ones that don't follow them or drop out after a couple of weeks. The staff at LA told me that the vast majority of their clients didn't last past six weeks of the program. Of course there are people who like yourself, misskitty, who may be taking medications that affect their weight or that suffer from other health issues, but I think most that aren't successful are looking for a magic cure and get impatient when they realize that it's far more work to take off excess weight than it is to put it on.

ETA: I re-read the last paragraph and I think I sound harsher than I mean to. I researched weight-loss plans online before I chose LA, and I found many, many complaints about them and other programs - "It's a rip-off, it doesn't work"; "They forced me to buy their products"; "I don't have time to attend meetings/get weighed-in three times a week"; etc., etc. What convinced me to use a program was one person's comment, who said basically the same thing I said above - if you follow the plan correctly, then it works. If you don't, then it doesn't.
    Last edited by AJane; 06-10-2008 at 03:00 PM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3048626;
    A co-worker of mine is planning on trying the Dr. Bernstein diet after hearing positive things about it from other people. That's not much help, I know.

The thing about diet plans is this - they all work. I came to this startling insight after going on one for the first time in my life last year (I used L.A. Weight Loss). A long story short - I suddenly realized I was over 50 pounds heavier than I was in 1998, when I found out I was pregnant with my first child. I followed LA's plan to the letter, and was very successful - I surpassed my goal weight and am able to fit into most of my old clothes from 10 years ago. My success wasn't due to LA's magical weight loss formula (I also re-started my old exercise regimen). It's because I changed my eating habits back to healthy ones and got up off the couch.

Basically - if you want to follow a weight-loss program, any one of them will do if you embrace the idea of changing your lifestyle. Jenny Craig is very expensive as you have to buy their food, but I know a woman who lost 70 lbs on it and has maintained her weight loss for over a year now while discontinuing use of their products. I know others who have had a lot of success with Weight Watchers. From my own observations - people who complain that programs "don't work" are the ones that don't follow them or drop out after a couple of weeks. The staff at LA told me that the vast majority of their clients didn't last past six weeks of the program. Of course there are people who like yourself, misskitty, who may be taking medications that affect their weight or that suffer from other health issues, but I think most that aren't successful are looking for a magic cure and get impatient when they realize that it's far more work to take off excess weight than it is to put it on.

ETA: I re-read the last paragraph and I think I sound harsher than I mean to. I researched weight-loss plans online before I chose LA, and I found many, many complaints about them and other programs - "It's a rip-off, it doesn't work"; "They forced me to buy their products"; "I don't have time to attend meetings/get weighed-in three times a week"; etc., etc. What convinced me to use a program was one person's comment, who said basically the same thing I said above - if you follow the plan correctly, then it works. If you don't, then it doesn't.
    AJane - I could have WRITTEN this post! Except for the baby part and change LA Weight Loss to Quick Weight Loss Center and it's what I've experienced in my life of dieting to a T. Now that I am on the "healthy eating/more exercise" regime, I've lost 20 lbs in about 9 weeks. I've never been more excited to lose weight and I was always one of the ones saying, it doesn't work, it's a rip off. I had never before exercised while dieting. I thought it was magically due to not eating/depriving myself. That's what a "diet" was supposed to be - hard work. Well, until I got off my butt and did something about it, nothing was going to work. I made up my mind - just snapped one day - and now I'm on my way to my weight loss goal.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The secret, if there is one other than willpower, is to find one you can live with and stick with...that's why religious ones work for some people and WW works for some people and JC works for some people, etc., etc., but not for others. Some people like running outdoors, some indoors in the AC and shelter. So if you find what you've heard appealing and can afford it, give it a shot. Let us know how it goes!

misskitty, I have heard that Dr. B is effective, but I looked into it and decided against. There are regular shots involved (vitamin B, maybe?) and a severely restricted diet. One of my bosses is still going for regular shots five years after starting with Dr. B. My own personal experience with severe caloric restriction is that the weight returns three-fold once you start eating normally. As everyone else has determined, a healthy eating lifestyle in conjunction with exercise is far and away the best method of losing weight.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

AJane - you are SO right. I have a friend who keeps telling me "you suck" because I lost weight on weight watchers because it doesn't work for her and she's starving. Well, you get out of it what you put into it so my 37 pounds lost isn't because I'm ON weight watchers, it's because I FOLLOW weight watchers and made it a part of my every day life. My SIL drives me crazy because she keeps saying things like "I'm so jealous" and "I can't believe you're still into it". What kills me is that it's not like the weight just fell off. I work hard every single day whether it be exercise or controlling what goes in my mouth - so that's nothing to be jealous of. If I woke up one day 37 pounds thinner, then maybe. But with what I do every day to control my weight isn't deserving of jealousy!

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;3048894;
    But with what I do every day to control my weight isn't deserving of jealousy!
    Sorry, but I am jealous of your willpower .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

AJane - you are SO right. I have a friend who keeps telling me "you suck" because I lost weight on weight watchers because it doesn't work for her and she's starving. Well, you get out of it what you put into it so my 37 pounds lost isn't because I'm ON weight watchers, it's because I FOLLOW weight watchers and made it a part of my every day life. My SIL drives me crazy because she keeps saying things like "I'm so jealous" and "I can't believe you're still into it". What kills me is that it's not like the weight just fell off. I work hard every single day whether it be exercise or controlling what goes in my mouth - so that's nothing to be jealous of. If I woke up one day 37 pounds thinner, then maybe. But with what I do every day to control my weight isn't deserving of jealousy!
    LOL - I have friends like your sister in law! Seriously, I tried to help one of them with info as to what I am doing, offered to go to HER gym with HER on HER time and nothing. It's tough but so worth it. And yes, it takes time, energy, willpower, but anything that is worth it, takes some effort.

I have motivated some friends to start their own plan and that makes me feel good. I will encourage them all I can and we can support each other and hopefully, they will get the same (or better) results from their efforts.

I work hard every single day whether it be exercise or controlling what goes in my mouth - so that's nothing to be jealous of. If I woke up one day 37 pounds thinner, then maybe. But with what I do every day to control my weight isn't deserving of jealousy!
    Truer words were never spoken. Weight loss and weight maintenance is a lot of work, and for me, it's also a lot about being brutally honest with myself when I'm in denial, and keeping perspective when I'm faced with other people who tell me I don't need to lose any weight as I pass up dessert at dinner. It's never easy, but it's even harder when people around you either don't understand or care about your goals, or don't respect the amount of work it takes. Medical exceptions aside, I feel like for so many people, it's just a question of determination, willingness to make choices that aren't always easy, and effort. To borrow a quote from someone, "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right."

I agree with what everyone has said that one really needs to change their lifestyle and eating habits. And it's true, that you have to keep to whatever program you like, every single day; particularly once the program has "ended".

But my problem is that in addition to the meds I must take, I have chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and low iron and can only do a certain amount of daily activity whether it's routine stuff like laundry or grocery shopping or exercise; not more than one at a time. I'm not allowed cardio and joining a gym isn't worth the expense for the amount of time I can spend there.

I don't eat a lot of deep fried foods or junk food; I actually probably don't eat enough. I rarely have 3 meals a day. So, I hope to get inspired with a better eating program that will help me lose the weight and add on a mild walking routine. If I have to mow my lawn, that's my exercise for the next two days. I have no stamina, and the more I do, the worse I get. It's incredibly frustrating.

I'm not expecting to wear a bikini, just get rid of this medicated weight that is piling on, and live a healthier lifestyle. And I will also share what I learn with my family and sweetie if they are at all interested.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

But with what I do every day to control my weight isn't deserving of jealousy!
    I'm with you MaryBeth. As most of you know, I lost over 100 lbs on WW. It took me 16 months to do it. I started 7/19/06 and hit my goal on 11/28/07. It has indeed been a lifestyle change for me.
    Good luck misskitty on whichever path you take to a healthier lifestyle.

+ Reply to Thread