+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: I hate my body!!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: I hate my body!!

Vonna, not sure how old you are but I've always been stick skinny. If I gained a few pounds over the holidays or what not, I'd lose it in a day or two. I turned 40 a few months ago and my metabolism has caught up with me! My extra weight has a GPS unit apparently 'cause they're not getting lost! I'll bet if you cut out some of the sweets and exercised a bit, you'd drop the weight again. I've had to eat a little less and exercise a bit in order to drop the excess weight. Start chipping away at it early...it's easier to lose at the early stages!

Ladies, please don't hate your bodies, even if they're not your ideal. Just try to be as healthy as you can. I don't mean to sound all kumbaya, but my dad was unable to walk or move much at all before he died--and that gave me a new perspective on what a good body is... I actually love my body, even though it's not Elle MacPherson perfect! It enables me to do everything I want and need to. OK, I'm all kumbaya!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2878610;

Ladies, please don't hate your bodies, even if they're not your ideal. Just try to be as healthy as you can. I don't mean to sound all kumbaya, but my dad was unable to walk or move much at all before he died--and that gave me a new perspective on what a good body is... I actually love my body, even though it's not Elle MacPherson perfect! It enables me to do everything I want and need to. OK, I'm all kumbaya!!!
    I totally agree with you Lois. This is a negative thread. Just saying the title does not help one's positive energy. I might start a new one.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2878666;
    I totally agree with you Lois. This is a negative thread. Just saying the title does not help one's positive energy. I might start a new one.
    How about "I'm breathing, I'm good."

Something to celebrate real figures but at the same time give people a sounding board on what they don't like and the frustrations they go through trying to "look good."

We are all so much harder on our selves. I hate pictures of myself, particularly from the waist down. But I see the positive in other people's bodies. I watch "What Not to Wear" and can't believe some of the people don't think they are attractive.

Allie, I just had some pictures taken with family yesterday and was shocked at how bad I looked. Everyone said, oh you look great, but I hated the pictures. I guess we will never see what others see....there's always something we like more about others than ourselves. I wish there were a magic pill to take everyday that made us see what is actually there, not a warped version of ourselves.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I used to teach scrapbooking classes and I used to hear the "I hate pictures of myself" all the time. Well at one of the classes an older woman listened to some of the younger women say this and she stood up with tears in her eyes and told this story about her daughter. The daughter hated having her picture taken, so she usually turned her head, put her hand up, etc. Well the daughter was killed in an accident and the family searched and searched and could not find any pictures of the grown daughter that didn't have her head turned away or her hand up. The older lady said it was so sad as she didn't have any photos from adulthood to remember her daughter by and not to worry if our thighs are too big or our hair is not perfect, or we weigh more than we think we should. Our loved ones see us every single day and they love us no matter what. The camera captures us as they see us and love us and would like to remember us.
    I think that whole room that night went away with a new feeling about having your picture taken.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Let us not forget the immortal words of Robert Burns, in his poem To a Louse

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!
    It wad frae monie a blunder free us
    An foolish notion:
    What airs in dress an gait wad lea'es us,
    An ev'n devotion!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I am 48 years old and in April of this year I had my first bone density test. The results weren't what I was hoping for; I have osteopenia. This kick started me into seriously committing myself to a healthier lifestyle. I had thought I was getting enough calcium, but obviously not enough. I take calcium supplements and work out almost every day. I do weights every other day to get upper body strength. In addition, I use the elliptical for 30 minutes a day. I feel like I'm getting stronger and my legs are definitly more toned.

I have been on this exercise/lifestyle change for 8 weeks now. I've set mini goals along the way. When I reach one goal, I set another. Although I started out as a size 6 and I'm fine with that size, I'm not complaining about losing weight. As we're all aware, the older we get, the more poundage we carry in our midsection! So far I've lost 8lbs and I'm going to continue on my exercise plan to hopefully lose some more, or at least tone up and turn the fat into muscle.

As for the diet part of my regimine, I try to stay at 1200 calories a day. I eat lots of fruits, veggies and protein.

I am a work in progress and I'm serious about my lifestyle change. This is the only body I have and I want it as healthy as I can get it!
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." ~Theodore Roosevelt~

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2737842;
    I can't believe how long it took me to realize that people that judged me on what my body looked like were not worth knowing in the first place.
    If we are looking for a new title for this thread, this should be it! mrd summarized all our good thoughts re the original post.
    When I started to gain weight quite suddenly and quickly in my early 30's I did a lot of yo-yo dieting, which, while no doubt terrible for my metabolism, had a very interesting side effect. Some of my "friends" (of the other sex)turned out to only be my friends when I was below a certain line...so I'd go to a party and depending on what I weighed that month they'd either be looking over my shoulder for someone more interesting to talk to or raptly intent. Since I went up and down several times over a course of a few months I could practically draw a line on a chart to indicate who'd be talking to me at the next party after a while! Since I naively had thought these people liked me for "me" it was quite the eye opener. Later these same folks turned out show similar character traits when it came to dealing with issues such as a seriously ill spouse (dump 'em--too much trouble) and the like. So in fact, had I but known it, my yo-yo effect turned out to be a great test of who was worth knowing and who wasn't.
    So in my experience it isn't just a psychic pepper upper to say that those who judge you on your body aren't worth knowing in the first place, it's not just that they have a little quirk about weight, it's really true that they aren't the kind of people you want for friends in many areas of life--they aren't going to be there for you at all.
    Not to say that this is true for all the people who bug you about your weight--some of them may just love you so much they want you to stay around forever and are worried about the health issues--but those who ignore you if you are above their "standard"--forget 'em, you really don't want 'em!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3045005;
    If we are looking for a new title for this thread, this should be it! mrd summarized all our good thoughts re the original post.
    When I started to gain weight quite suddenly and quickly in my early 30's I did a lot of yo-yo dieting, which, while no doubt terrible for my metabolism, had a very interesting side effect. Some of my "friends" (of the other sex)turned out to only be my friends when I was below a certain line...so I'd go to a party and depending on what I weighed that month they'd either be looking over my shoulder for someone more interesting to talk to or raptly intent. Since I went up and down several times over a course of a few months I could practically draw a line on a chart to indicate who'd be talking to me at the next party after a while! Since I naively had thought these people liked me for "me" it was quite the eye opener. Later these same folks turned out show similar character traits when it came to dealing with issues such as a seriously ill spouse (dump 'em--too much trouble) and the like. So in fact, had I but known it, my yo-yo effect turned out to be a great test of who was worth knowing and who wasn't.
    So in my experience it isn't just a psychic pepper upper to say that those who judge you on your body aren't worth knowing in the first place, it's not just that they have a little quirk about weight, it's really true that they aren't the kind of people you want for friends in many areas of life--they aren't going to be there for you at all.
    Not to say that this is true for all the people who bug you about your weight--some of them may just love you so much they want you to stay around forever and are worried about the health issues--but those who ignore you if you are above their "standard"--forget 'em, you really don't want 'em!

The "yo-yo" test. Kind of has double meaning doesn't it?

Isn't it amazing how shallow people can be and then find out it's in a LOT more areas of their life than besides how a person looks. They are definetly not worth knowing because they will never be TRUE friends. True friends are the kind you can call at 3 a.m. for ANYTHING and they will not only answer the phone and do whatever it is you need, but were probably with you anyway at that time.

I will never forget being called by a friend at 2 a.m. for a medical emergency at her house. I didn't even dress, but grabbed purse and ran out the door (I was in PJ's). It was only when I got to her house I realized I didn't bring shoes. She loaned me a pair so I could take her to the hospital as she is the one that realized they probably wouldn't let me in barefooted, but they would probably not say anything about my PJ's.

And they were the ones I called at 1:30 in the morning when my mom died. So those people that are picky about weight, would never be the kind to even ANSWER the phone if someone called them that late. That's just MY opinion anyway.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

OK. I have a weight question here. Has anyone every tried the Dr. Bernstein diet? I heard about it on the radio and although it appears to be expensive, it is guaranteed. I checked out their little weight loss icon and I'd like to lose 35 lbs. It says it will take about 9 weeks. My new medication is adding on the weight again, just as I was getting somewhere losing some. I'd love to hit my goal weight, or even close to it by my next birthday which isn't until Nov. This program is run by Dr.s and registered nurses only.

http://www.drbediet.ca

Has anyone heard of anyone who has tried this out and been successful? I'd really like to know because I need to do something and I've reduced my meds about as much as is healthy mentally and emotionally.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread