+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: I hate my body!!

FORT Regular

Re: I hate my body!!

Quote Originally Posted by Suresam85;2748897;
    seriously though the media has overblown this idea with girls being a size 0 or 2.. with shows like ANTM or Make me a supermodel... they should have shows about plus-sized models!!!! Because that IS the norm... anything over a size 4 is considered plus size.. crazy if you think about it!! I really like nikki blonsky though.. she looks really down to earth; she's inspirational like america ferrera from ugly betty! I'm going to be watching nikki on lifetime for her new movie called "queen sized"
    The media is really good at making young girls think they have to thin and skinny in order to look go it is terrible. I saw a commercial for that movie and i think it is really refreshing that it is a movie about a heavy girl overcoming her weigh problem. I'm definately going to watch it this Saturday Night.

MRD

The media and fashion makes young girls think they need to look like that. Supermodels are the only ones that look like that and I think they make up about .001% of the population.

I think they need to use models that look like the rest of us and not such a small segment of the population who is NEVER going to look like that.

The key is not to be super skinny, but to be healthy and to be happy with the body you have. My 2 cents anyway.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It was bad enough growing up back in the 70's/80's, thinking we had to look like the current crop of supermodels back then -Christie Brinkley, Cheryl Tiegs, Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford - hell, the worst they did back then was airbrush the flaws away on magazine covers.

But now that plastic surgery has gotten so widespread, we have fake boobs, poofy fish lips, lipo, botox, lifts, tucks...pretty much anything goes. I'm so glad I'm not a teenager trying to have a healthy body image in this era. It's horrible.

There are some companies (Dove, for one) that are using normal sized women as models...good for them!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I decided to try my bigger jeans on today and they are smaller than the ones I've been wearing!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2750249;
    There are some companies (Dove, for one) that are using normal sized women as models...good for them!
    I like that commercial too, however the sad thing is I think that they look big. I know perfectly well that they're not big but since everything else I see is of stick thin women the contrast is what gets to me. I know this, I'm trying to overcome it, but I'm brainwashed after just seeing stick-thin women everywhere.

Well as most of you know I gained 15lbs since November of last year. Mostly due to just stuffing my face with whatever is around and making a bit more fattening dinners without working out. Now my pants are all way too tight and basically I have 2 pairs I can wear without them looking really gross. Mr buglover loves the extra weight on me. I'm 5'3" and weigh 150lbs. I used to weigh 135 and even though I wasn't toned much, I loved being that weight. I felt like I was pretty, etc. In my 20's, I usually weighed this 150 or more and strutted around like I was the bomb. In my 30s now, I feel gross and horrible and hate looking at myself even though the only person who matters loves the way I look. I realize I need to purchase a few new items of clothing that fit and that should help not feeling so "huge" when I'm really not, just normal. I guess I just don't know how to find that Diva inside again like I did before. Any suggestions?
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2854594;
    Well as most of you know I gained 15lbs since November of last year. Mostly due to just stuffing my face with whatever is around and making a bit more fattening dinners without working out. Now my pants are all way too tight and basically I have 2 pairs I can wear without them looking really gross. Mr buglover loves the extra weight on me. I'm 5'3" and weigh 150lbs. I used to weigh 135 and even though I wasn't toned much, I loved being that weight. I felt like I was pretty, etc. In my 20's, I usually weighed this 150 or more and strutted around like I was the bomb. In my 30s now, I feel gross and horrible and hate looking at myself even though the only person who matters loves the way I look. I realize I need to purchase a few new items of clothing that fit and that should help not feeling so "huge" when I'm really not, just normal. I guess I just don't know how to find that Diva inside again like I did before. Any suggestions?
    I'd purchase a few new clothing items.
    I've been heavy all my life and even though I've lost a lot of weight, I am never going to look like a model. Even some of the ones for the Dove commercial.
    But the key is just being happy with yourself. If you are not happy with how you look, either find a way to live with it or lose the weight. Easy for me to say. But I have found that if I'm happy with me, then most everyone around me is happy too and it doesn't matter if I'm not a size 8 like I think I should be.
    But getting clothes that fit goes a long way to making me feel a lot better about myself.
    I normally don't worry about certain parts of my body. But just recently posted in klatch that I need a formal and everything is strapless or sleeveless and I'm REALLY uncomfortable about baring my upper arms. But I have no problems when I'm wearing a nice blouse with 3/4 length sleeves and I feel like I look great. No my arms aren't smaller, but at least they are covered up.
    I think it's how we fool our own minds sometimes.
    But I have to say that the key is mostly in the mind. When you feel good about yourself no matter how you look, then nothing can take that away from you.

I have to say that after watching the Dancing with the stars the other night, that girl that won the Tony for Hairspray is a real inspiration. She is cute and funny and excited and hasn't let her weight stop her from life at all. She is my new hero and I don't even remember her name.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I think the trick to finding those clothes that make you feel your best is to ignore current trends (especially those that only flatter a few) and stick with the classic styles that are timeless and that flatter your particular body type.

In my case, you would notice my closet is loaded with stuff that highlights the waist, chest, arms, and legs while downplaying the hips and butt. Especially sleeveless sundress styles with fitted waists and flared skirts. I'm technically actually a tad underweight for my height, though not nearly as much so as I was a few years back, but am a pear shape and those bottom areas certainly don't look underweight. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, even at my skinniest and still now, I opt for more conservative swimsuit styles... I just don't feel comfortable running around in a tiny bikini, no matter how popular they are. And it is hard to find cute, more covering styles (swimdresses, tankinis with shorts) in small sizes-- I sometimes go 4 or so sizes too big (with which swimwear you can get away with sometimes). Anyways, I see a number of gals out there making the mistake of going with the trendy styles that just don't suit them at all, and they look uncomfortable. Choose something you are comfy and confident in, no matter what is popular, and you will always radiate confidence and look your best.

In your case, buglover, if the pants don't make you feel happy with yourself, choose some long, beautiful, flowing skirts, maybe in the gypsy/boho styles. Pair them with beautiful shoes that make you feel sexy, and blouses that are perhaps lower cut and draw attention to the chest. Remember to love yourself-- you are beautiful and sexy!!-- and show off the parts you love best. Don't let any images and trends get you down. Believe me, I've struggled with it loads myself.

I had a size 6 pair of jeans from, oh, lets just say they could vote. They were smaller than a size 2 I recently bought.
    Brings up a good point about size inflation. Women's clothing sizes are not standardized at all, so you really can't go by sizes anymore-- go by the measurements. A woman who wears a 4 at, say, Ann Taylor Loft, might be surprised to see she might wear over double that when shopping for a formal or wedding gown. Plus, you have to consider where the clothing is fitted... I'll take a 4 or 6 on average, but you can add or subtract from that sometimes depending on whether it is tightly fitted in the hips/butt area.

eBay is GREAT for finding those perfects articles of clothing, at excellent prices sometimes, because of the selection available. I get quite a few things there for next to nothing (as in, pay more for the shipping) that I LOVE, but remember if you do decide to go there, get somebody to take your measurements accurately. Do not go by sizes, unless you know a particular brand's sizing. As long as you know your measurements, shopping on sites like eBay gives you the advantages of lower price, high selection, and privacy in your shopping.
    Last edited by pakacat; 03-20-2008 at 09:32 AM.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Sizing IS different these days

The reason a Size 6 nowadays is bigger than a Size 6 years ago is because women are larger than our counterparts in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, etc. Designers know that women are vain and don't like to spend money on "BIG" clothes, so they make the clothes larger but put smaller size tags on them. So when people say, "I still am a perfect size 6," that's great--but they're a size 6 in 2008's standards. There is no way in hades they could fit into a size 6 from their mother's or grandmother's era. Lucille Ball in the 1950's was known to wear a size 12 or size 14 dress. That'd be equivalent to today's size 8. Elizabeth Hurley was making fun of Marilyn Monroe's "huge" dress size...get a clue, Liz!

When I was a teenager, I was about 105 pounds dripping wet and was around 5-foot-7 already in my early teens. I had pants that were a size 7 and some that were a 9. I have size 4 and size 6 pants today that are WAY bigger than those size 9 pants from the late 1970's...

I HATE that. I wish sizes were standardized so you could look at the size and know it will fit you--you just have to determine if you like how it looks! Don't let size or weight determine if you feel good or not. They really are just numbers. I've also come to realize that just 'cause I can fit into "young" clothes doesn't mean I should wear them. NO ONE needs to see me in miniskirts or short shorts anymore. I look OK in them, but it just doesn't work on me anymore. I look, I don't know, desperate and older then! I actually like Bermuda shorts and capris and shirts that don't reveal my belly button these days!

Thanks you guys. I'm going to go shopping this weekend while we have no kids to ask to go to every store in the mall. I'm going to hit up my favorite stores, Macy's, JC Penny, etc. and just try on as many things as possible. I have a huge issue with the way things are cut now and have my favorite cut of shirts, skirts and pants and when they aren't in style I panick especially if I need bigger clothes. It truly is all in my head because I know I don't look bad. You guys are right, if I find a few items that flatter my body I will feel tons better. I'll let you know this weekend how the shopping spree goes!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread