+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Why I Need Therapy

Re: Why I Need Therapy

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2764375;
    I'm preparing myself to go through the system to get a good psychiatrist. I have been an anxiety hider for years and years. Since my mother passed away 7 years ago I have been convinced I will crash and die in my car if I'm not on the road with the same people every morning, that I can't go out at night because there are nothing but drunk drivers and I will be killed. It's out of hand. I need medication and I refuse to allow a general practioner to give me medicine when he doesn't know me that well. Anyway, I'm ready or nearly ready to live a life without constant fear......and I mean constant.
    buglover: Hugs to you dearie. It's great that you've identified that there is a problem and you are now willing to find something that will help you. That is a huge step and I congratulate you for it! You may not need a psychiatrist. Start with your GP, as myrosiedog suggested. Try ativan. Then, you might also ask your GP to suggest a psychologist who can help you with your anxiety about driving on highways. Talk therapy really can help put your fears into perspective. Good luck!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thank you for all your kind words. It's helpful knowing you are all holding my hand while I attempt to fix this.
    Yup, with donuts!!

buglover, I can somewhat sympathize with you. Over the past few years I've become a nervous passenger. My husband has a bad habit of tailgating and had a few "slam on breaks" episodes with me in the car so I hate riding passenger with him and it's spilled over to riding as a passenger with just about anyone. I don't get carsick sitting in the back so when there are other people in the car besides me and the driver, I opt to sit in the back. Somehow that helps because I'm not focusing on the road.

On the flip side, I don't like to drive too much either. I absolutely hate driving in the rain and have a fear of hydroplaning. Many of the streets in my city flood or pool water when it rains and that adds to my stress. I don't like driving in big cities and hate interstates. There is almost daily accidents on I-95 or I-16 in my area.

I haven't gotten to the point where I think I need medication but I can't say that won't eventually be the case. I just try to focus on where I'm going and be cautious. When I'm a passenger and in the front, I put on my sunglasses and close my eyes, even if I'm carrying on a conversation. The other person doesn't know my eyes are closed if my shades are on . I'm not laughing because it's funny, but just because I also know that even though my anxiety is real, I also won't allow it to totally incapacitate me. But like you, I have a fear of dying in an accident. I've been in a few accidents although not recently and never with any injuries but it still leaves a scar on the psyche.

I wish you success in getting your anxieties under control. I know it's easier said then done. I try to relax and get through the situation and not let the fear take over. So far that's been enough to keep me functioning. But you're not alone.

What can I say?

Um...

Nice kitty. I love cats.
    And you should be proud to be a twin.
    "Even though I didn't win, I still feel like I am on top of the world." -Dominique

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2764353;

Right now, I'm in a situation where I don't need therapy itself, but I still take medicine, so I need to have a monthly appointment with my psychiatrist anyway in order to get the prescription. (Think, "Hi, how are you, how's work, how's your social life, here's your prescription.") Frustrating! But I need the medication...
    If you show your regular doctor that you've done the therapy for x amount of time, and explain that you pretty much go only for meds, usually you can get your prescription, no problem. My doctor at the Internal Medicine clinic that I've been using for general medical care has no problem writing my prescription for 5 months at the time. You might at least ask!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2765286;
    buglover, I can somewhat sympathize with you. Over the past few years I've become a nervous passenger. My husband has a bad habit of tailgating and had a few "slam on breaks" episodes with me in the car so I hate riding passenger with him and it's spilled over to riding as a passenger with just about anyone. ..
    I don't think this is any kind of irrational fear at all-- it is absolutely reasonable to be scared when you really could die from this situation. it might start a war but if it were me--sorry, separate cars. I refuse to ride with tailgaters, as it's so dangerous. Ditto for people who change lanes suddenly, weaving in and out of cars at high speed, etc. I won't ride with you but once! I admit going fast, but not close to other cars, and not faster than I can go without constant lane changes.

Buglover
    --do go get yourself a little pill to help, and therapy if you need it. That's no way to live!
    Last edited by queenb; 01-22-2008 at 07:33 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2765405;
    If you show your regular doctor that you've done the therapy for x amount of time, and explain that you pretty much go only for meds, usually you can get your prescription, no problem. My doctor at the Internal Medicine clinic that I've been using for general medical care has no problem writing my prescription for 5 months at the time. You might at least ask!
    Good idea... I'd been on the meds for over three years when I first asked, but I think she's wary because it's a controlled substance, and I'm supposed to be "watched" or seen regularly while I'm on it to make sure I don't start overdosing or getting addicted... my doctor up in Maine had no problem with once every couple months, but the ones down here do. As aggravating as the time factor is, the fact that I have to pay a $30 copay every time I visit, plus $25 for a prescription filled at the pharmacy is the part that bugs me the most! It gets expensive!

I'm happy that I get to spend Valentines day with my 3 beloved kitties, and not my sweetie. I haven't had the energy to make supper, get the wine, get all dressed up, and make sure that he's feeling ok with the fact that he couldn't get my Valentines Day card done in time.

I'm also getting used to checking out Ebay on a regular basis. It just feels so good to get a message that "I WON". Unfortunately, it cost money to get that message. Maybe I'll just send that message to myself every now and then to feel good. I don't really feel much like a winner.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

misskitty - You're a winner in our book here. Just keep being who you are.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

I agree with Gabriel. You are a winner. You've got friends, a sweetie and 3 loving kitties. Sounds like you hit the lottery to me!
    We'll just all PM you occasionally with "YOU WON" in the subject line.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

misskitty, when you feel down, take a look at the losers on all the shows we watch together here. You by far are a winner in life for being the wonderful person you are!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread