+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Why I Need Therapy

Re: Why I Need Therapy

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2761774;
    I'm so glad you posted that queenb. I never thought of it as therapy. .
    I always thought the horses were the only thing that made me have any interest in anything for years--they probably saved my life.
    I didn't realize how much I missed having animals in the house until I visited up at Pom's last year; that's when I decided I needed to go ahead and find myself some kitties!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

The only time I've ever not had animals were the two years of college I spent in a dorm. The minute I hit my 3rd year and got an apartment, I got a cat. I just wouldn't want to live without my pets or in a city far from the woods. And now that I'm swimming regularly I don't want to ever go without it again. That's good therapy for me. I have trouble keeping a gratitude journal, so I do gratitude swims. As soon as I've done a few warm-up laps and hit my stride, I start listing people/things I'm grateful for. I wonder if some of you would be surprised to know you've made my list? I'm so grateful for my friends here... and for the FORT in general, and John for providing it.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2763318;
    ...I didn't realize how much I missed having animals in the house until I visited up at Pom's last year; that's when I decided I needed to go ahead and find myself some kitties!
    How is Pom doing these days? Haven't seen her around much.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2761847;
    I have been very lucky to have had some good therapists. One in particular that STILL keeps up with me via email and SHE is the one that said: "you know, I really don't think you need to come see me anymore, you are figuring this stuff out on your own". So there are some good ones out there, that care about the patient and not so much about the money.
    I had this experience as well. She was a favorite of mine... Actually, it wasn't till she said something that I remembered how I'd been just a year earlier.

Right now, I'm in a situation where I don't need therapy itself, but I still take medicine, so I need to have a monthly appointment with my psychiatrist anyway in order to get the prescription. (Think, "Hi, how are you, how's work, how's your social life, here's your prescription.") Frustrating! But I need the medication...

I'm preparing myself to go through the system to get a good psychiatrist. I have been an anxiety hider for years and years. Since my mother passed away 7 years ago I have been convinced I will crash and die in my car if I'm not on the road with the same people every morning, that I can't go out at night because there are nothing but drunk drivers and I will be killed. It's out of hand. I need medication and I refuse to allow a general practioner to give me medicine when he doesn't know me that well. Anyway, I'm ready or nearly ready to live a life without constant fear......and I mean constant.
    Yup, with donuts!!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2764375;
    I'm preparing myself to go through the system to get a good psychiatrist. I have been an anxiety hider for years and years. Since my mother passed away 7 years ago I have been convinced I will crash and die in my car if I'm not on the road with the same people every morning, that I can't go out at night because there are nothing but drunk drivers and I will be killed. It's out of hand. I need medication and I refuse to allow a general practioner to give me medicine when he doesn't know me that well. Anyway, I'm ready or nearly ready to live a life without constant fear......and I mean constant.
    OMG buglover...I can't imagine what that fear must be like....I wish you great success in succeeding to overcome your fear....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Thank you. It's been a long time coming. I mean I function. I can go out and do things but just going out to family in Los Angeles over 60 miles away gives me such anxiety days before we even get in the car. It's no way to live. I used to feel alive, now I just live and that's just not me. I'll keep you all posted on when I actually get something going.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2764353;
    I had this experience as well. She was a favorite of mine... Actually, it wasn't till she said something that I remembered how I'd been just a year earlier.

Right now, I'm in a situation where I don't need therapy itself, but I still take medicine, so I need to have a monthly appointment with my psychiatrist anyway in order to get the prescription. (Think, "Hi, how are you, how's work, how's your social life, here's your prescription.") Frustrating! But I need the medication...
    That's me. I hate going once a month to get the script. But I am probably her easiest appointment. I don't even sit down anymore and she laughs because we've covered it all on the walk to her office from the waiting room. and she sits down, writes my script and I go.

Buglover, I wish you much success on your journey. I have had terrible anxiety in the past and my medication works wonders.
    I have to tell you though that some general practitioners I've been too knew me or took the time to know me better than some pyschiatrists.
    So don't discount the GP if its one you've been to for a long time and trust. At least they could get you started on something until you go through the system of finding a psychiatrist.

Most of the medication for anxiety that I have been presribed was either Xanax, Ativan or Klonipin. Start with a low dose first to see how you react. When I know I'm going to be in a situation that is going to cause me anxiety, I will take a half or a quarter of my medication before I go, so the anxiety doesn't even have time to begin.

I used to be scared beyond reason to ride on the interstate. I was convinced I was going to get in a crash. The ativan really helped me out with that situation and I took such a low dose that it wasn't "impairing" me to drive.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-22-2008 at 06:26 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks myrosiedog. I will take your advice and begin with the GP. It's gotten to the point where I don't sleep well because as soon as I look at the clock, realize I'm not that sleepy, the anxiety creeps up because I know I have to get some sleep and the cycle begins for the night. It's almost as if I have fear of sleeping, like I'll miss something or not wake up kind of thing. Yea, I need something to deal with this for sure.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2764756;
    Thanks myrosiedog. I will take your advice and begin with the GP. It's gotten to the point where I don't sleep well because as soon as I look at the clock, realize I'm not that sleepy, the anxiety creeps up because I know I have to get some sleep and the cycle begins for the night. It's almost as if I have fear of sleeping, like I'll miss something or not wake up kind of thing. Yea, I need something to deal with this for sure.
    I went through that as well and now I take klonipin at night. I've finally gotten to the point that I don't take anything during the day except for VERY occasionally.
    There are other medications that will help deal with anxiety that will help for the long term, but the ativan, klonipin and xanax are great short term solutions.

Try a couple tylenol pm at night and see if that helps you relax enough to get to sleep.

I also drink tension tamer tea when I start feeling nervous or I can't relax enough to fall asleep. It really helps. It's a Celestial Seasoning tea and I use honey in mine because honey is supposedly a calming thing too.

I take the klonipin at night because I could not take ambien or the new sleep aids. They didn't work for me. Everyone else that I knew that took them went to sleep immediately. 3 hours later, I was still up twiddling my thumbs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread