+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Why I Need Therapy

MRD

Re: Why I Need Therapy

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2760896;
    misskitty - our cats or dogs or hamsters or whatever ARE our kids. You just tune out these nasty people, because the love we get from our kids is unconditional and for all they give us, they really want very little. A warm place to live, some food, regular check ups, a clean box or yard to do their "business" and some attention. You just do for you what you need to do.

As someone once said "damn the torpedoes -full speed ahead"
    HEAR!!! HEAR!!!! (or is that here here?)

I have a child and let me tell you that I would be as crazy as a loon if I didn't have my dogs. I love my daughter and I know she loves me. And she is really a good kid. I don't have much to complain about. But she is also VERY critical of me which reminds me of my parents and I have a hard time with that. So my dogs are my comfort and salvation. What Gabriel said is so true. Unconditional love and they can't talk back or criticize us. Not that they would, right?
    And this may sound bad, but I love my dogs every bit as much as I love my husband and my child. They ARE part of my family and are like children to me. (Like I said, sometimes better because they don't talk back)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2761277;
    HEAR!!! HEAR!!!! (or is that here here?)

I have a child and let me tell you that I would be as crazy as a loon if I didn't have my dogs. I love my daughter and I know she loves me. And she is really a good kid. I don't have much to complain about. But she is also VERY critical of me which reminds me of my parents and I have a hard time with that. So my dogs are my comfort and salvation. What Gabriel said is so true. Unconditional love and they can't talk back or criticize us. Not that they would, right?
    And this may sound bad, but I love my dogs every bit as much as I love my husband and my child. They ARE part of my family and are like children to me. (Like I said, sometimes better because they don't talk back)

Oh they talk back, as you well know, it's just as I always say, while they understand us, we are too stupid to know what they're saying. (and that may be a blessing) I mean what does aroo -arf, ruff woof - really mean?

or Meorrrrw for that matter. I really hope it does not mean "you're sleeping in my spot SH**head"
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2761284;
    Oh they talk back, as you well know, it's just as I always say, while they understand us, we are too stupid to know what they're saying. (and that may be a blessing) I mean what does aroo -arf, ruff woof - really mean?

or Meorrrrw for that matter. I really hope it does not mean "you're sleeping in my spot SH**head"

YOu know it does. How many times have I gone to go get in bed and Rosie and now Waldo is laying in MY spot and they look at me like "you want something???"

It's probably a good thing we don't know what they are saying. Still they love us faults and all and dont' get mad at us for waking them up. (well Rosie does)

My new cat definitely talks back to me. She has vocal indignation down to a science!

I think pets themselves are good therapy for us, and as long as I have my pets I feel like I can face just about anything.

I'm taking a CNA class that is held at a nursing home and last week I saw someone making the rounds with a little dog. It got me choked up because I know how much pets mean to some of the residents and not being able to have their own anymore is probably hard. I'm really glad there are people out there who take the time to go around with their pet and bring a smile to the residents. My dog isn't able to do that but if I find myself with another dog some day I think I'll check into what it takes to make him/her a therapy dog.

My kitties are the best therapy I've ever had! Better than the crazy meds I've been given, ridiculous drug cocktails, endless group therapy classes, etc.

I watched a bit of tv today with Lexi in my arms, just purring away and kneading her little paws into my chest. I just look at her and thanked God for listening to my instincts that she needed me and I needed her.

I think animals give wonderful positive energy to wherever they are: seniors lodges, nursing homes and even make a huge difference in a business or store.

They are certainly little gifts from heaven. I thought that very thing today watching my little fluffball explore, play, climb, sleep, and purr.

The last appointment I had with my psychiatrist, he said I should call him in the New Year and think about taking a few more classes. I think I'll just call him and tell him I just got Lexi and I feel better than ever!
    Last edited by misskitty; 01-20-2008 at 02:51 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2761635;
    The last appointment I had with my psychiatrist, he said I should call him in the New Year and think about taking a few more classes. I think I'll just call him and tell him I just got Lexi and I feel better than ever!
    I'll bet he did. I do think they try to help, but these folks don't make any money when you stop seeing them. I still take meds but haven't been to any actual 'therapy' in 10 years. And I was really and truly in bad shape. I'm still not the most happy go lucky person, but I am content. And it happened all of a sudden, when I was sitting in hellish traffic trying to go see the head doc--suddenly I just knew--I didn't need all that anymore. I need a little pill to keep my keep me from being too cranky, but that's all.
    So, it can happen.
    I'm a big fan of animal therapy too. And nature therapy, and me-time therapy.
    I do hope you can find some peace with yourself--it's a wonderful thing if you've had to live in hell before
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I'm so glad you posted that queenb. I never thought of it as therapy. My son gave me a HUGE guilt trip about the animals when he came home for winter break (he has allergies). I reminded him that after next year, the youngest will be gone and then they'll be my only family. And now that I have 3 teens in the house, going to my room and closing the door and reading with the cat on my lap and the dog by my side is TRULY therapy that's keeping me sane. I've always been a walk-in-the-woods kind of person, so I know what you mean about nature therapy. One of the reasons I bought my house is that it has a nature preserve bordering my back yard. A quick 3-minute walk brings you to a ridge over a valley with a river at the bottom and a small "mountain" across it (state park land). I can let the dog run free on those walks and he loves that. Often one of the cats comes with us. Free therapy.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Gut and Queenb, I am totally in agreement with you both about me time and nature therapy and animal therapy.

I have been very lucky to have had some good therapists. One in particular that STILL keeps up with me via email and SHE is the one that said: "you know, I really don't think you need to come see me anymore, you are figuring this stuff out on your own". So there are some good ones out there, that care about the patient and not so much about the money.

Miss Kitty and Archie, I think pet therapy is a wonderful thing. I have seen it in action and it brings so much joy. Unfortunaly, my wild ones would not be allowed in a nursing home. Can you see Waldo run amok with the seniors?

We were allowed to bring Rosie and Bogie to the hospice house where my mother was and she so loved it and they did too.

Right now, my 3 just give me lots of pet therapy and I like to think we gave Waldo some therapy to overcome some of his issues.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I don't understand why people are so judgmental about other people's lives. If they think that you having pets is going to bother them, they're delusional. On the other hand, I know couples where one will bring home strays ALL THE TIME without checking with the other first...and that has caused some problems, mainly 'cause of the lack of communication. But when you live alone in your own house, why shouldn't you be allowed to bring home a kitten or a puppy or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2761947;
    I don't understand why people are so judgmental about other people's lives. If they think that you having pets is going to bother them, they're delusional. On the other hand, I know couples where one will bring home strays ALL THE TIME without checking with the other first...and that has caused some problems, mainly 'cause of the lack of communication. But when you live alone in your own house, why shouldn't you be allowed to bring home a kitten or a puppy or whatever?
    Amen! If you have the means to take care of a new pet and the love to show it then go for it!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread