+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stumped on what to get someone for xmas?

Stumped on what to get someone for xmas?

Let Stuff Magazine tell you what's hot for this Christmas

http://www.stuffmagazine.com/giftgui.../?src=dx28:Mtd

Re: Stumped on what to get someone for xmas?

I'm never stumped. Those various denominations of bills are easy to stuff.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

My parents won't accept money from us.

I'm always stumped on what to get my Mom and Dad. They don't want or need anything. And they don't like us spending money on them for needless things. They give us heck when we do.

So, lately, we buy them food. Yes, food. Specialty jams, interesting spreads, or frozen entrees that we know they would not spend the money on themselves to try. Gift certificates to restaurants aren't appreciated unless we all go for supper.

This year, my Mom actually phoned and said she really liked the organic honey nut ring I gave her last year. She wants another one. I'm so happy I hope I can find it again.

Now, what to get for Dad?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

That's a great idea, misskitty. I always had the same problem. Unfortunately, I don't have to worry about it any more as my dad passed three years ago. But I always had the same problem. He wouldn't let us take him out for dinner. Well, he'd let us, but then when the bill came, that we were supposed to pay, he'd grab it and get angry if we fought with him. We finally gave him gift certificates to restaurants. At least that way, he'd go out and be forced to let us pay! I wish I had thought of the groceries!

MRD

My aunt is 85 and we all get her movie tickets, restaurant gift certificates and bookstore gift certificates. I make her cards to use throughout the year and put a book of stamps in it. She loves to write notes and letters, but can't get to the post office much, so having the stationary and stamps is a big hit for her.
    And I myself LOVE getting specialty food that I like but wouldn't spend the money on myself. And I've found that others like that as well. All great ideas you had and ones I know are well received.

Do yo have Edible arrangements in Canada? (google them if you haven't heard of it). They have become very popular around here. Kind of expensive, but better than flowers because they can eat the arrangement. I have a friend that is diabetic and she says that's been one of the best gifts she has ever gotten because its all fresh fruit and beautiful to look at.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2697895;
    My parents won't accept money from us.

I'm always stumped on what to get my Mom and Dad. They don't want or need anything. And they don't like us spending money on them for needless things. They give us heck when we do.

So, lately, we buy them food. Yes, food. Specialty jams, interesting spreads, or frozen entrees that we know they would not spend the money on themselves to try. Gift certificates to restaurants aren't appreciated unless we all go for supper.

This year, my Mom actually phoned and said she really liked the organic honey nut ring I gave her last year. She wants another one. I'm so happy I hope I can find it again.

Now, what to get for Dad?
    I'm in the same boat. Only I can't give food either, as there is always so dang much of it at the family get together anyway--that's when we cook all the junk we have no business eating. As for gift certificates, my mom will sneak around and give them to the shiftless 20-somethings in the family, no matter which store they are for.
    So, my family finally started drawing names last year, and I got one of my (shiftless 22 year old!) neices. Fine. but this year, I got the dreaded, worst possible outcome. Dad. Not that there is no love there, but I have no idea what to get him, whatsoever. usually if he wants something, he buys it, and if he doesn't buy something, it's usually because he has no interest in it!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

My mom is just as hard to buy for, Queen. Drives me nuts every year.

Christmas shopping is easy as long as the convenience store is open
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Phone cards are often appreciated by those with far-flung relatives and friends. Of course, so many people have "call anywhere/anytime" plans that sometimes they aren't necessary.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2699517;
    Christmas shopping is easy as long as the convenience store is open
    I'm afraid to ask, because it's you, but have to--what gifts do you buy there?

Dad does not smoke or drink beer, and I don't think he and Mom use Trojans anymore!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast