+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stumped on what to get someone for xmas?

MRD

Re: Stumped on what to get someone for xmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2711270;
    Since you said they're not into videos and you want to keep it cheap, I think an ordinary MP3 player would be better for them. Try something from Creative or Sandisk, who both make excellent MP3 players.
    We had mega problems with Creative and ended up finally getting an ipod. But this was before the big expensive Ipod video came out.

I reccomend getting something not too expensive.

Both my daughter and several of her friends have had theirs stolen. My daughter got hers back, but the friends did not. Of course this has also taught my daughter and her friends to keep a better eye on their stuff.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

DesertRose: Our newspaper just had a long article about what to get teachers for Christmas. Unfortunately, I have recycled that! I do remember that it suggested gift cards to office supply stores and restaurants. It also had a cute suggestion for a picture frame with a class picture or a picture from a field trip. Also, my best friend teaches school and last year, one of her students gave her a gift card to a movie rental place. It was packaged in a plastic bowl with some packages of microwave popcorn. The student who gave it to her had decorated the bowl with my friend's name and his name and the year - etc... I thought that was a cute idea and my friend loved it. She enjoyed movie night with the popcorn and still has the bowl.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Some years when the school budget is especially tight I put a Christmas wish list on the board: Mrs. (Gutmutter's) Christmas wish list: copy paper, whiteboard markers,(etc., etc.) EMERALDS, chocolate, lined paper, etc. That way, if a student is so inclined, they can get me classroom supplies or if they want to get me something personal, they know chocolate (or EMERALDS) is the preferred gift. Last year a student who was a holy terror, but the object of my unflagging patience, gave me a little, tiny potted poinsettia. She left if for me in the office so as not to be seen giving it to me by her peers. What a sweet gesture.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2712087;
    DesertRose: Our newspaper just had a long article about what to get teachers for Christmas. Unfortunately, I have recycled that! I do remember that it suggested gift cards to office supply stores and restaurants. It also had a cute suggestion for a picture frame with a class picture or a picture from a field trip. Also, my best friend teaches school and last year, one of her students gave her a gift card to a movie rental place. It was packaged in a plastic bowl with some packages of microwave popcorn. The student who gave it to her had decorated the bowl with my friend's name and his name and the year - etc... I thought that was a cute idea and my friend loved it. She enjoyed movie night with the popcorn and still has the bowl.

That is a great idea ... and one I might use for the hairdresser and others who I'd like to give just a little something.

I really like gifts that are personalized in some way.

BUT .. a teacher/tutor acquaintance told me that what teachers really hate is "junk" gifts and want $$$$$$$$$ and prefer cash to gift cards ... so I'd go with creatively packaged cash.

- A small, pretty container "filled" with those dollar gold coins is one way ... with a note that says Mrs. Soandso ... I think you are as good as gold.

- Perhaps an outline of the child's hands on heavy paper, folded, with cash inside and reading ... "you are hands down the world's best teacher" ?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I, personally would feel awkward giving cash to a teacher and would rather give a gift card to them....

I gave my co-workers last year movie passes and I had put the passes in a bowl that had a bag of microwave popcorn, those large boxes of candy like you get at the movies and a can soda in it! They loved it!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2713161;
    I, personally would feel awkward giving cash to a teacher and would rather give a gift card to them....

I gave my co-workers last year movie passes and I had put the passes in a bowl that had a bag of microwave popcorn, those large boxes of candy like you get at the movies and a can soda in it! They loved it!

I understand that ... and I personally hate giving either money or gift cards because as said, it seems to have no personalization ... and also, some people feel offended when given cash. That's why I try to come up with some creative way to package and personalize it. But the rationale behind the cash rather than gift cards/certificates is that the recipient can use it where they want and with no expiration date. I suppose one of the American Express or VISA "use anywhere accepted" cards would work though or maybe lottery tickets saying he/she is a winning teacher ?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I have to admit that I'm one who considers gift cards the absolute worst gift, with cash a close second. I want a surprise! But if I do have to buy my own gift, I don't want to be restricted to one store. I guess those Visa ones are half ok, but in that case just give me cash so I can put some in my vacation jar.
    It's not really an issue so much for me anyway, as my family pulls names now and just gives one $50 gifts per person.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2714993;
    I have to admit that I'm one who considers gift cards the absolute worst gift, with cash a close second. I want a surprise! But if I do have to buy my own gift, I don't want to be restricted to one store. I guess those Visa ones are half ok, but in that case just give me cash so I can put some in my vacation jar.
    It's not really an issue so much for me anyway, as my family pulls names now and just gives one $50 gifts per person.
    I like presents too. Although, the gift cards are nice for sending to out of town kids that I buy for and they love it because they can "pick out".

I usually give my family a list. They ask for it. I don't get everything on it, so what I do get is a surprise, but they'd rather have a list to choose from because they are all so clueless as to not listen to me when I point out something over the year that I like.

Me, on the other hand listen to my family and will go back and get the item they said they admired. Then they are always pleasantly surprised on Christmas morning that I remembered. Yeah, I bought it about 2 hours after you saw it. I'm thoughtful like that.

my kids helped me out a lot this year with Amazon wish lists.
    My son keeps his up so when something comes up I can see what he is hoping for.
    I really need to set one up for me. I can never think of anything when they ask - but I would sure like a pair of bunny slippers

MRD

CBS did a segment on Museum gift shops for gifts for Christmas

And I wanted to add that that is a GREAT place to get unusal items. Especially books.

Our museum doesn't charge you to just go in the gift shop and I don't think other mueums do either. We've gotten a lot of traffic coming in to browse the gift shop for Christmas. And we have stuff I haven't seen anywhere else. Not just related to what our museum is about either. But a lot of local type stuff I have not seen elsewhere.

So browse your local museum gift shops, you may find the perfect item.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast