+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stumped on what to get someone for xmas?

MRD

Re: Stumped on what to get someone for xmas?

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2700930;
    I'm afraid to ask, because it's you, but have to--what gifts do you buy there?

Dad does not smoke or drink beer, and I don't think he and Mom use Trojans anymore!

Beef Jerky. It's ALWAYS the gift that shows you care.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Good idea, but as mentioned, we already have everything you can think of foodwise. I always make jerky because the kids and Mom like it, and I am lucky enough to even have some venison tenderloin to do this time. Dad' teeth aren't good enough to chew it anymore, unfortunately. Nice try, though!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2700982;
    Good idea, but as mentioned, we already have everything you can think of foodwise. I always make jerky because the kids and Mom like it, and I am lucky enough to even have some venison tenderloin to do this time. Dad' teeth aren't good enough to chew it anymore, unfortunately. Nice try, though!
    Lottery tickets then.

Batteries? Disposable cameras? One of those long chains for attaching your wallet to your belt loop? There's a world of good shopping at the corner store .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

My mom makes a wicked granola at Christmas for the hard to buy for men (sons in law). I always tell her to make extra for me and call it a day. She helps me out financially throughout the year when I need it.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

We visited Vermont several years ago after Christmas and they don't have convenience stores like the rest of the country. No 7-11's. But the gas stations/general stores, etc. were GREAT. My husband would get so irritated because I could find wonderful stuff in these little stores when we had to stop at one. He couldn't believe all the odds and ends they sold.

You're right MRD - they have the BEST stocking stuffers for everyone... usually located in one little central stand, but sometimes scattered throughout the store. Another of my holiday shopping secrets is hospital gift shops.
    Count your blessings!

How about those monthly fruit gifts? A different fruit a month? My mom loves those!

MRD

magazine subscriptions are nice too. I have a friend that gives me one every year and I love it.

And there are now magazines for EVERY interest no matter what. Local magazines, just all kinds of them.

My parents got Smithsonian one year for Christmas and they LOVED it.

You can buy the latest issue to wrap up and put a note that one of these will be arriving in your mailbox every month.

mrd's magazine suggestion is a great one. It's the gift that keeps giving all year. Your idea about the Vermont country store reminded of that movie Baby Boom (love that movie) where she was selling her homemade baby food to the city folk and kept jacking up the price .

Other suggestions, some of the classic games like Monopoly or Scrabble have new looks. A couple of years ago I got the Scrabble that has it's own turntable and the letters stay on better. Also, a scrabble dictionary might be a good addition to someone who already has the game. I think the Monolopy game has an automated money feature and my husband expressed an interest in it. I can't find it at Walmart so I'll probably have to try Toys R Us.

Usually we give gift cards unless someone is specific about what they want. I've wasted too much money over the years on gifts for things that I thought someone might like but it wasn't really their interest. I'd rather be a little impersonal with a gift card then to throw good money away and cause the person the unpleasant task of having to stand in the long lines for gift returns.

If I was crafty I'd make things. I think those can be the best gifts. My grandmother would crochet us afghans and I still have mine all these years later. Some years when money is lean, I'll bake things for the extended family.

I also love those soft throw blankets. They are perfect for snuggling up on the couch and come in lots of nice patterns. If you know someone with a blanket fetish like me, I'm sure they'd appreciate another one!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast