+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829

Thread: Christmas 2007

Re: Christmas 2007

We stayed at this inexpensive all-inclusive about 45 minutes from Santo Domingo that catered to international tourists and ate there exclusively. There wasn't a whole lot in the way of green veggies. Lots of fries, meat that reminded me of my elementary school cafeteria, etc, not so great pasta... think really bad institutional food, and you have the idea. They didn't even really serve local specialties, which probably would have been better... It's a little harder when you're traveling with such a large group, I think.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2751072;
    We stayed at this inexpensive all-inclusive about 45 minutes from Santo Domingo that catered to international tourists and ate there exclusively. There wasn't a whole lot in the way of green veggies. Lots of fries, meat that reminded me of my elementary school cafeteria, etc, not so great pasta... think really bad institutional food, and you have the idea. They didn't even really serve local specialties, which probably would have been better... It's a little harder when you're traveling with such a large group, I think.
    It probably is harder to do with large groups. When I've traveled out of the country, we mainly go to non-touristy type eateries. The one thing that I will not do is eat anything raw and that includes veggies, because they wash the salad in the same water they tell you NOT to drink. So as long as everything is cooked, I have no problem. But I have to admit I've eaten some questionable things, but to me, that's part of traveling out of the country.

The best food: Italy and Greece.

Most interesting with questionable items, but still good: India

Not real impressed with food: Isreal and Egypt

Best beer: Canada (I haven't been to Germany yet, so can't compare)
    and also inexplicably, the best Irish stew I've ever had.

Best wine: Italy, hands down

Best desserts: Italy and Greece again.

Mexico is its own stand alone category. Great beer, great food, great service, fabulous tequila!!!

I don't remember eating in the Bahamas. I think that it mostly had to do with my age (18) and that we mostly drank for 3 days because we were legal there. So not even sure if I did eat or not.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Yeah, whenever we traveled as a team, there were no five star dining experiences. However, there was 80 degree weather, which we all appreciated. We'd gone to Florida a couple previous years, and when the sun is down there, it's a little chilly. Well, a little chilly to be swimming outside, which means it's really hard to get in at 6 am. I miss having the trip to look forward to after Christmas-- not only was it nice to get away from the snow and cold, but nothing eliminates those holiday pounds like 4 hours of swimming a day.

I'll have to get back to you on travel food experiences, because I've had excellent and horrendous. In fact, this could probably be a topic for its own thread. I'm very close to saying that Puerto Rico may have been my best collective feeding experience, but I'll have to ruminate on that some more.

I found some nice photos of our fireworks display in front of City Hall on New Year's Eve. I couldn't be there but it was fabulous!!

Attachment 23018Attachment 23019Attachment 23020Attachment 23021Attachment 23022
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-12-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2751113;
    Yeah, whenever we traveled as a team, there were no five star dining experiences. However, there was 80 degree weather, which we all appreciated. We'd gone to Florida a couple previous years, and when the sun is down there, it's a little chilly. Well, a little chilly to be swimming outside, which means it's really hard to get in at 6 am. I miss having the trip to look forward to after Christmas-- not only was it nice to get away from the snow and cold, but nothing eliminates those holiday pounds like 4 hours of swimming a day.

I'll have to get back to you on travel food experiences, because I've had excellent and horrendous. In fact, this could probably be a topic for its own thread. I'm very close to saying that Puerto Rico may have been my best collective feeding experience, but I'll have to ruminate on that some more.
    I lived in Florida until Aug. 2006 and everyone assumes it never gets cold there. It can get pretty chilly.

This photo is from my hometown 2 weeks ago. It's in South Central Florida and it got to 28. Granted it doesn't happen often and winter is usually nice in Florida, but it can and does get chilly and a lot of people don't expect that.

Darn it, can't find the photo now. It was sent to me by a friend, but its a frozen fountain in downtown.

I have been swimming on Christmas Day and I have had icicles on Christmas Day. It just depends. At least it doesn't stay cold. We used to say if you don't like the weather, wait 3 days.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Newbie

Christmas is gone. This christmas is very good for me. I got a digital camera as a christmas gift. Anyway Happy Christmas and Happy New Year to all members of this forum.

+ Reply to Thread