+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2007

MRD

Re: Christmas 2007

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2745572;
    My sister and her husband actually did that three years ago! They had moved out to the Seattle area that year and bought a very nice tree for their first Christmas in Washington. I don't know what kind of tree it was, but the needles stayed on the tree forever! After Christmas, they just figured they would take it down but as time went on, the tree still looked so pretty and still smelled so nice. So Valentine's came and they put red hearts on it. St. Patrick's Day came and they put on shamrocks. I will have to ask her about Easter, I don't remember if she still had it up by then. She did say that when they finally got rid of it, they felt rather weird putting it out at the curb.

The next year, their tree didn't last too long and was down shortly after the New Year. This year, they were downunder in Australia for the holidays visiting his family.
    I actually have a small twig tree I use for other holidays. I have decorations and ornaments (most I've made) to use for Valentine's, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween and Thanksgiving.

We used to do an Easter tree every year with blown eggs when I was a kid. Blowing out those eggs is a pain. I like the plastic ones much better.

Our neighborhood used to gather on New Year's Eve and do a big bonfire for the Christmas trees. We'd roast hot dogs and marshmellows. It was a lot of fun and I miss that. Of course, back then, you didn't need a burn permit to do that. Now I doubt if you could get one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Email I received:

Twas the Month After Christmas

Twas the month after Christmas
    And all through the house
    Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse

The cookies Id nibble, the eggnog Id taste
    All the holiday parties had gone to my waist

When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
    When I walked to the store, less a walk than a lumber

Id remember the marvelous meals Id prepared
    The gravies and sauces and beef, nicely rared

The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
    And the way I never said, No thank you, please.

As I dressed myself in my husbands old shirt
    And prepared once again to do battle with dirt

I said to myself, as only I can
    You cant spend all winter disguised as a man!

So, away with the last of the sour cream dip
    Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip

Every bit of food that I like must be banished
    Till all the additional ounces have vanished

I wont have a cookie, not even a lick
    Ill want only to chew on a celery stick

I wont have hot biscuits, or corn bread or pie
    Ill munch on a carrot and quietly cry

Im hungry, Im lonesome, and life is a bore
    But isnt that what January is for?

Unable to giggle, no longer a riot
    Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

That is so funny bbnbama! I got on the scales at work the other day to see how much I've gained during the holidays. I was suprised that I haven't gained anything but man do I feel fat. I have ate more junk this holiday season then I ever have before. Its time to start eating salads.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2750795;
    That is so funny bbnbama! I got on the scales at work the other day to see how much I've gained during the holidays. I was suprised that I haven't gained anything but man do I feel fat. I have ate more junk this holiday season then I ever have before. Its time to start eating salads.
    I think I went on the holiday aversion diet. I ate so much junk that by last week, I was CRAVING salads. I've done pretty well this week with eating a lot of fruit and veggies. I only gained one pound from my doctor's scales from before Thanksgiving to Dec. 27. So I guess that was good. And I think that some of that was the boots and jacket I was wearing as it was a lot colder on Dec. 27 than it was in Nov. when I was there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I guess I should say I need to eat lettuce. Last week I told my husband I need some veggies so we're having salad for supper. My salad had, lettuce, boiled egg, cheese, sunflower seeds, fried chicken tenders, and non low fat spicy ranch dressing. I basically had a 5000 calorie salad. For some reason I didn't feel any healthier after eating it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2750804;
    I guess I should say I need to eat lettuce. Last week I told my husband I need some veggies so we're having salad for supper. My salad had, lettuce, boiled egg, cheese, sunflower seeds, fried chicken tenders, and non low fat spicy ranch dressing. I basically had a 5000 calorie salad. For some reason I didn't feel any healthier after eating it.
    I read that if you order the fried chicken ranch salad from McDonald's that with the fried chicken, cheese, bacon and ranch dressing it actually has MORE fat and calories than a Big Mac.

I've been eating lettuce rollups. Putting low fat turkey, cheese and mayo on a lettuce leaf, rolling it up and eating it and eating a lot of fruit with it. I don't really miss the bread either.

That sounds so good and a great idea. At this point I doubt I would miss the bread either. I feel yucky. I sure enjoyed every delicious bite at the time though.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2750817;
    That sounds so good and a great idea. At this point I doubt I would miss the bread either. I feel yucky. I sure enjoyed every delicious bite at the time though.
    Me too. That's why I call it the aversion diet. I think I ate so much crap that my body has just rebelled and is craving the good stuff now.

I actually have a recipe for chicken lettuce rollups that I want to make. Like the kind you can get in some resturants, but these are not as high fat and calorie laden. I will go look it up and post it in recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2750822;
    Me too. That's why I call it the aversion diet. I think I ate so much crap that my body has just rebelled and is craving the good stuff now.
    So true. My senior year of college, we went to the DR for our training trip, and between trying not to get stomach bugs and the food not being very good, we basically ate carbs for 9 days straight. I have NEVER wanted a vegetable so badly in my life as when I got back from that trip.

Fortunately, this year my mom was trying to eat moderately healthily, so we mostly ate well, with the exception of a couple days here and there. Doesn't stop me from the January (/February/March/April) diet.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2750928;
    So true. My senior year of college, we went to the DR for our training trip, and between trying not to get stomach bugs and the food not being very good, we basically ate carbs for 9 days straight. I have NEVER wanted a vegetable so badly in my life as when I got back from that trip.

Fortunately, this year my mom was trying to eat moderately healthily, so we mostly ate well, with the exception of a couple days here and there. Doesn't stop me from the January (/February/March/April) diet.
    Why wasn't the food very good?

I have found almost everywhere I traveled, that the local food was superb, just had to be very careful of some items, so no raw veggies or salads, but most of the other stuff was really good.

+ Reply to Thread