+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2007

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Re: Christmas 2007

It's a Kansas thing, Newf... My cousin's step-daddy's uncle gets one every year from the boys. Good thing, too. Boeing lays off for the oddest things, and I think not showing up because you're in the pokey is a hard one to explain... But seeing that we fled the flat-land years ago, I don't think Mom would fully appreciate the sentiment in that one.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2728765;
    I've been having so much trouble this year coming up with a gift idea for my mother. She's the type of person who buys herself what she wants when she wants it... I've been through this many times in the past, and she still does the same thing.

So this year I decided to do a little "coupon book" for her, but I'm coming up short on ideas to include. Any of you have ideas for neat things we can do to spend time together while still having fun in the coming year? I've got a mani/pedi date, a movie date, a lunch after shopping date... I've included a home cooked meal that she doesn't have to cook, an afternoon of cards and coffee and a car-wash. I thought about including something like an afternoon date at the local art museum, but she does that regularly with her girlfriends. She does dinner out a lot, too...

Any other ideas? What else do you like to do with your mom that I could include in my little gift-book? Any help in this is greatly appreciated. I am not opposed to things I would buy for her, but mostly I'm looking for things we can do together.

What about a Sat. afternoon going through family photos and organizing them if they aren't already. I enjoyed that a lot with my family. Looking at the home movies, going through the photos.
    Maybe include writing down some of the good family stories.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Help with yardwork (here snow shovelling would go over well)
    Family pictures
    House care

Hmm, this is tougher than I thought.

I think maybe my brain's all holiday spirit-fied. I've been to at least one mall every day since I've been home. Most of the time with my mom. Boy, let me say, going away for Grad school and coming home for vacation's really shown how much stronger my relationship with my mom is!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

remote_goddess:
    How about somewhere for a massage?
    Do you have a local college near you that you could take a class together? We have photography classes, cooking, art classes, flower arranging, calligraphy, etc.
    Gym membership/aerobics classes?
    Do you have Broadway productions that come near you or maybe a local theatre group that puts on plays that both of you could attend?

BTW great idea that you come up with!

I'd love to know what you finally decide on.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2728765;
    I've been having so much trouble this year coming up with a gift idea for my mother. She's the type of person who buys herself what she wants when she wants it... I've been through this many times in the past, and she still does the same thing.

So this year I decided to do a little "coupon book" for her, but I'm coming up short on ideas to include. Any of you have ideas for neat things we can do to spend time together while still having fun in the coming year? I've got a mani/pedi date, a movie date, a lunch after shopping date... I've included a home cooked meal that she doesn't have to cook, an afternoon of cards and coffee and a car-wash. I thought about including something like an afternoon date at the local art museum, but she does that regularly with her girlfriends. She does dinner out a lot, too...

Any other ideas? What else do you like to do with your mom that I could include in my little gift-book? Any help in this is greatly appreciated. I am not opposed to things I would buy for her, but mostly I'm looking for things we can do together.
    remote_goddess, it's probably too late for this for 2007, but since you mentioned you go through this every year, just wanted to make a suggestion for next Christmas. Because I've been doing geneology research for so many years, I always think a Family History research project makes a great gift. You can do it with a simple album or tree, or you can go the whole route and make a CD for her with a family ancestry tree as far back as you wish/are able to go. I know I've given gifts of that to others and they really appreciated them, and it's a gift that can be handed down to other generations also. And you could do it in secret and give the gift to her next Christmas, or you could make it a mother-daughter project and work on it together.

Just a thought, and I realize it can be a lot of work if you really get into it, but if it's something that interests you, it might be fun.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I love the Harvey one!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

RG, that sounds like a great idea for a Christmas gift. You have come up with some good coupons as well, my ideas aren't as good but here are the two that came into my mind;
    A concert perhaps?
    A "free coupon". An afternoon with you and she gets to decide what to do (within reasonable limits of course)

If I remember correctly you have children, right? Maybe they can be included in something if you and they want to.

MRD

Those are some great ideas for the coupon book.

LOVE the Harvey cartoon.

I got my baking done FINALLY. It was a cbore this year because nothing went right. I made peppermint bark and accidently got a few drops of water in the white chocolate and it seized up and I had to start over.
    I'm glad that it's done.

Still haven't finished sending out cards. People may get them for New Year's!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
    Written by someone in Internet land

A Visit From St. Nicholas
    ------------------------------

Twas the nocturnal segment of the diurnal period preceding the annual yuletide celebration, and throughout our place of residence, kinetic activity was not in evidence among possessors of this potential, including that species of domestic rodent knows as Mus musculus. Hosiery was meticulously suspended from the forward edge of the wood burning caloric apparatus, persuant to our anticipatory pleasure regarding an imminent visitation from an eccentric philanthropist among whose folkloric appellations is the honorific title of St. Nicholas.

The prepubescent siblings, comfortably ensconced in their respective accommodations of repose, were experiencing subconscious visual hallucinations of variegated fruit confections moving rhythmically through their cerebrums. My conjugal partner and I, attired in our nocturnal head coverings, were about to take slumbrous advantage of the hibernal darkness when upon the avenaceous exterior portion of the grounds there ascended such a cacophony of dissonance that I felt compelled to arise with alacrity from my place of repose for the purpose of ascertaining the precise source thereof.

Hastening to the casement, I forthwith opened the barriers sealing this fenestration, noting thereupon that the lunar brilliance without, reflected as it was on the surface of a recent crystalline precipitation, might be said to rival that of the solar meridian itself-- thus permitting my incredulous optical sensory organs to behold a miniature airborne runnered conveyance drawn by eight diminutive specimens of the genus Rangifer, piloted by a minuscule aged chauffer so ebullient and numble that it became instantly apparent to me that he was indeed our anticipated caller. With his ungulate motive power travelling at what may possibly have been more vertiginous velocity that patriotic alar predators, he vociferated loudly, expelled breath musically through contracted labia, and addressed of the octet by his or her respective cognomen - "Now Dasher, now Dancer..." et al. - quiding them to the uppermost exterior level of our abode, through which structure I could readily distinguish the concatenations of each of the 32 cloven pedal extremities.

As I retracted my cranium from its erstwhile location, and was performing a 180-degree pivot, our distinguished visitant achieved - with utmost celerity and via a downward leap - entry by way of the smoke passage. He was clad entirely in animal pelts soiled by the ebon residue from the oxidations of carboniferous fuels which had accumulated on the walls thereof. His resemblance to a street vendor I attributed largely to the plethora of assorted playthings which he bore dorsally in a commodious cloth receptacle.

His orbs were scintillant with reflected luminosity, ,while his submaxillary dermal indentations gave every evidence of engaging amiability. The capillaries of his malar regions and nasal appurtenance were engorged with blood which suffused the subcutaneous layers, the former approximating the coloration of Albion's floral emblem, the latter that of the Prunus avium, or sweet cherry. His amusing sub- and supralabials resembled nothing so much as a common loop knot, and their ambient hirsute facial adornment appeared like small, tabular and columnar crystals of frozen water.

Clenched firmly between his incisors was a smoking piece whose grey fumes, forming a tenuous ellipse about his occiput, were suggestive of a decorative seasonal circlet of holly. His visage was wider than it was high, and when he waxed audibly mirthful, his corpulent abdominal region undulated in the manner of impectinated fruit syrup in a hemispherical container. He was, in short, neither more nor less than an obese, jocun, multigenarian gnome, the optical perception of whom rendered me visibly frolicsome despite every effort to refrain from so being. By rapidly lowering and then raising one eyelid and rotating his head slightly to one side, he indicated that trepidation on my part was groundless.

Without utterance and with dispatch, he commenced filling the aforementioned appended hosiery with various of the aforementioned articles of merchandise extracted from his aforementioned previously dorsally transported cloth receptacle. Upon completion of this task, he executed an abrupt about-face, placed a single manual digit in lateral juxtaposition to his olfactory organ, inclined his cranium forward in a gesture of leave-taking, and forthwith affected his egress by renegotiating (in reverse) the smoke passage. He then propelled himself in a short vector onto his conveyance, directed a musical expulsion of air through his contracted oral sphincter to the antlered quadrupeds of burden, and proceeded to soar aloft in a movement hitherto observable chiefly among the seed-bearing portions of a common weed. But I overheard his parting exclamation, audible immediately prior to his vehiculation beyond the limits of visibility: "Ecstatic yuletide to the plenary constituency, and to that selfsame assemblage, my sincerest wishes for a salubriously beneficial and gratifyingly pleasurable period between sunset and dawn."
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thanks for the bbinbama! I'm beginning to get a little more Christmas spirit; I did just about all my baking Tuesday, and when I got to work today I found out that they had finally settled the confusion as to whether I had a leftover birthday I could use to take Christmas Eve off (I do! ) and I won't have to work Christmas night. Beside that, the weather has finally gotten like the usual GA Christmas--just above freezing with cold drizzle.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread